Lightning

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002 | 08:18 PM
|
Front wheel bearings

I ordered new front wheel bearings, races, and seals for the front of my truck. The parts came in today and the outter wheel bearing cage is plastic!? Anyone else done/seen this? First time I have ever seen plastic on a wheel bearing.

Now I have everything ready for my big brake install this weekend. I hope!

Old 10-14-2002 | 09:54 PM
I pulled and greased the factory tapered roller bearings and replaced one seal on mine. I took off the rotors and had them turned. The bearings must come out if you remove the rotor. iner and outter.
Castle nut with cotter pin on the out side. A slotted washer..outter bearing. I pinched the inner seal on one. Why are you putting in new ones? Rough? Mine were fine I just repacked them. Guess it can't hurt..new one's that is.

Old 10-14-2002 | 09:59 PM
I've seen plastic retainers on wheel bearings before, they have been on the cheaper ones. Most of the better bearing companies still use metal retainers on their roller bearings, though most ball bearings have used plastic retainers for years.

Old 10-15-2002 | 09:26 AM
|
I am doing a big brake upgrade which will replace the factory rotor assembly. Installing new modified hubs. Not a good idea to re-use old bearings in new races.

Old 10-15-2002 | 10:22 AM
Silver-bolt,

Yup, mine are plastic. They apparently work since mine has seen PIR twice and they looked fine.

NakMan

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearings