Lightning

harmonic balancer, timing gear, timing adjuster, flexplate, oil pump gea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002 | 10:11 PM
|
harmonic balancer, timing gear, timing adjuster, flexplate, oil pump gea?

Are these aftermarket parts worth it? Do I need any of them to race? Has anyone had a problem with the stock equivalent? Where do i get an underdrive harmonic balancer? click here

Old 10-22-2002 | 10:30 PM
An SFI balancer is required to meet NHRA rules for 10.99 and quicker. We sell a really nice SFI balancer for the Lightning (not listed on the site yet).

As for the other parts, I don't really see any need for them. Maybe a better oil pump gear if you want to use the stock oil pump. I haven't looked into that though, because we use an upgraded complete oil pump on our built motors.

Old 10-22-2002 | 11:18 PM
|
Is the new balancer an underdrive pulley as well? If not, why doesn't anyone make an underdrive pulley set including the balancer? Will it work with the current style cageless overdrive supercharger pulley? Why is it required for 10.99 and quicker? On a daily driven truck what are the drawbacks with this new balancer?

Old 10-22-2002 | 11:31 PM
Our balancer is dimensionally the same as a 99-00 unit. If you have a 99-00, it's a bolt on. If you are an 01-02 using a cageless pulley, all you need is a 99-00 style pulley. If you are an 01-02 using a caged pulley, all you need is the adapter used on the 99-00s.

It's not an underdrive. I don't think you could make the belt area diameter small enough to make a difference and still be able to attach the blower pulley onto it.

NHRA requires an SFI approved balancer for vehicles 10.99 and quicker. Balancers are made of several parts, and an SFI balancer is designed so that if it fails, it cannot seperate.

There are no drawbacks to using this balancer on the street. It is an extremely high quality unit, and it's even rebuildable for less than $50. Balancers DO wear out, so it's nice that you can send it in for a rebuild after a few years if you want.

Old 10-23-2002 | 08:22 AM
|
I just had my pulley machined to fit the 01 style.

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer, timing gear, timing adjuster, flexplate, oil pump gea?