Lightning

Update On New Kb!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002 | 04:05 PM
I have a ?, what does it mean that it can make 25#'s of boost?? I thought w/ superchargers/ turbochargers its how much air it can flow. Sorry new to superchrgers. On a GN, you can run 25psi on a 44 mm turbo or the same on a 100mm turbo. Am i safe in assuming that my L motor is efficient enough to still see performance gains from say 20 to 25#'s of boost?? At how much psi are you just backing up air in the intake with no performance gains?? Sorry....just trying to learn here...

Old 10-25-2002 | 04:12 PM
I have a ?, what does it mean that it can make 25#'s of boost??
Partially efficiency. Just like turbo's.

Different size turbos are good for different amount of boosts. Let's take a stock 300ZX TT (b/c thats the only comparison I can think of), you can up the boost on the stock turbos to a little over 16psi and they operate in their given range. Over that they don't make boost as well, generate more heat then power increase, and wear out quicker. So if you want higher boost and more airflow you go to a larger turbo.

Also my 01' GTI, right now the turbo is pushing around 17psi, I may be able to get 1 or 2 more psi out of it, but if I want more then that I will need a larger turbo.

Same thing with our S/C's. Plus the KB design is more efficient then roots style.

edit for spelling

Last edited by captainoblivious; 10-27-2002 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-25-2002 | 05:23 PM
what i'm getting at is, it does't matter if it makes 50 #'s of boost, if the motor can't flow the air, it creates a back up, you get heat soak. Depending on the L's ability to flow air, at some point it becomes useless boost. I'd just like to know at what boost levels on a stock L will it not see anymore gains in hp. I can boost any turbo up to 100psi if the motor could hold it but i understand that there is no belt having to turn it and a SC can't do the revs a turbo can do.I guess i just figured it out myself..A stock supercharger on a say a stock set up can only go o what , 17psi because you can only go so small on the pulley, and i guess this one can go to 25 on a stock set up, so they are saying it can flow more air. I bet with some head porting and a good exhaust,you can get it down to 18psi with the same amount of hp.

I understand what you mean w/ your turbocharger, but it sounds like you only need a bigger AR on the exhaust side. If you are producing crappy boost @17psi, the exhaust side must be backing up and your getting heat soaked. If that turbo can produce X amount of air and your not using all it can produce because of a backup in the flow, you should first find the cause of the back up weather it be the heads, headers, or the exhaust side of the turbo (most common).With a GN,if you port the heads, you will see more hp at lower boost levels because you have freed up th flow through the motor. That is why turbo manufacturers rate their turbos max. hp. If your not producing close to that max. hp # its because you have a flow problem elsewhere and a bigger compressor side of the turbo pushing more air in will deffinately create more boost, but it will make your blockage of flow even worse, which creates more boost. If you tink you might not be using that compressor side to its fullest, i'd suggest the new ex. side. Hope you can understand that. Isometimes have a problem conveying my thought to words.

Old 10-25-2002 | 05:47 PM
wow 521 at bone stock huh? what about those pesky rods failing and punching hole through your block just seems like a lot of hp for stock internals

Last edited by cpeapea; 10-25-2002 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2002 | 11:29 PM
|
To answer some ?'s The *stock* 90mm mass air and injectors will do just fine. i'm currently running 10's with the stock mass air. however i did go with 50# injectors. at the time i thought i would need them. but the stock 42# injectors will do just fine. the mass air peak voltage issue is not a concern with my programs. i spike the 5.0 volts around 3,000 rpms with no problems.I do reccomend the boost a spark if you decide to go above 19# of boost and the boost a pump if you go beyond 15# of boost. we (will be offering these items as an option)..
Easter: i believe your # 12 on the list..Also Jim Bell gave me permission to spin the 2.0 thats on my truck as much as i want to test the limits! Well i have reached upwards of 25# of boost. and have spun it up to well over 20,000 rpm's.with no problems! and the unit i have is smaller and less efficent than the new unit. it will be a 2.3 with new designed rotors.
gen1270: i agree with your theory of boost is simply back pressure wich is not exactly what we try to achieve. (we need flow not boost!) As soon as we installed our new JLP heads we saw a loss of 4# of boost with nothing being changed but the heads. this told me we were going to make some serious power. the truck ran the same #'s at now 4# of boost less than before. Which was very impressive. So we went ahead and turned the KB up to match the boost levels we were running before. Guess what? we imediatly went into the 10's with very little effort. now we are starting to lean on the tune. which should result in mid 10 sec. times.You see if we didn't pick up the boost (back pressure) we wouldn't have acheived the 10 sec. slips that we did. I believe with the new unit which flows a lot more air (which is the key) mid to low 10's should be possible without the help of NO2..
JL

Old 10-25-2002 | 11:42 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Cool

wowzies!!!

bet that lower pulley can double as a halloween candy dish with minor modification...

Old 10-25-2002 | 11:49 PM
defiantly want the kb supercharger. looks like its time to sale the crouch rocket.

Old 10-26-2002 | 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Speedin Bob
wowzies!!!

bet that lower pulley can double as a halloween candy dish with minor modification...

Remember that the KB makes more boost than the Eaton with any given pulley combination. Different gearing, different rotor design, different internal displacement. 9.3 Eaton versus 13.2 KB with the stock pullies.

Old 10-26-2002 | 10:35 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyLightning
Easter: i believe your # 12 on the list

Old 10-26-2002 | 12:56 PM
Thanks JohnnyLightning,
You just proved my theory that the heads could account for loss of flow. Let me guess that it's the exhaust side that is making the difference. 4# loss is awesome, and even better than I would have guessed. So what were the head mods? Did you use larger exhaust valves?

Old 10-26-2002 | 10:05 PM
Johnny,

Is this blower going to fit the 2003 cobra as well? If not are you or KB working on a cobra replacement? If so...HOLLYCHIT! I'm thinkin easy 9's!?

Old 10-26-2002 | 10:53 PM
rumor has it that their is a kb blower for the cobra already to test.

Old 10-26-2002 | 11:51 PM
i hope i get mine soon, i cant wait jl bump me up on the list hahaha. i should be round 28 or something in there. JL just a reminder if you get this i want one of the first sets of heads when u get them.

kb is working on a new blower for the cobra ill let jl tell the details when the time is right but needless to say already it is unreal power!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2002 | 12:39 AM
GN1270 - I get what your saying, and to answer your question
I'd just like to know at what boost levels on a stock L will it not see anymore gains in hp.

Old 10-27-2002 | 08:11 AM
Well with a charger that will boost up to 25psi I bet we'll find out. If someone tests it @ 18psi, 20psi, 22psi, etc..on stock heads we'll be able to see where the motor will hit a brick wall. I am just guessing that with stock heads, if you are pushing 25psi, you have alot of boost there you don't need , thats doing nothing more than putting stress on the motor. I would say the heads they are developing or porting out stock ones, would free up alotta flow and give you monstrous hp. At this point (with my limited knowledge of these motors) i would think forged internals, maybe an engine block girdle (does anyone make these for a L ) to help harness the HP.

It sounds like with this new unit, the heads and exhaust to flow the air through and out of the motor, the fuel to support it, and the engine beefed up to suppot it, some major HP can be had.

Quick Reply: Update On New Kb!