Lightning

The TRUTH about Works vs KB blowers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002 | 07:53 PM
Wink

SVT F15O,
Well first off congratulations to the top three (Jim, Sal, Johnny) for all running in the 10's now, Great job!!!!
Now as far a Sal not changing his banner, his statement is still correct, because he is still the (fastest Gen 2) in the 1/4 mile. As Jim is now the Quickest!!! Sal you just need to update your trap speed and you will be fine.
This is a family and I for one would love to see us all as a community grow as one and not by smaller groups.
We can still be proud of whos parts we run and what team we choose to go with but in the end we all love Lightnings.
Maybe we all can forgive and try to forget some of the crap that has gone in the past and try to make the Lightning community one that other automobile enthusiasts would love to be a part of.
Just a thought......
Bill

Old 10-29-2002 | 07:56 PM
Originally posted by mbrown
how will the tuning be done? I haven't seen any info on that but maybe I missed it. I'm sure it will be done with a chip, but what about people who are going to be changing boost reguarly? Will they just need a 4 program chip to switch between boost levels?
I had the same question and to expand on it a bit.......so like when you call your tuner and tell him tuner your list of mods, do you say like

"I have a throttle body, 2# lower, filter kit, long tubes, and one more thing.....uh.................oh ya I also have a Works 140 blower"

--Joe

Old 10-29-2002 | 08:33 PM
GN1270, I would not suggest going over 20 psi on a stock motor, especially an 01-02 with the weaker rods. We HAVE tested the Works 140 on a stock Lightning motor with the usual bolt ons, then switching to the 140, and it picked up over 100 rwhp.
Sal, what is the max. HP you can run w/ the stock rods??
what is the max. HP you've gotton with the usual bolt ons and stock blower,no NOS??
Thanks..Scott

Old 10-29-2002 | 08:37 PM
Thumbs up Good Q 1270.

I was wondering how many people have had engine failure/thrown rods without detonation being a contributing factor. What kind of HP and Ftlbs were those motors making?

Old 10-29-2002 | 08:40 PM
I think throwing rods is more due to over-revving the motor. But I also think the "magical" number that someone came up with a while ago was 450rwhp.

--Joe

Old 10-29-2002 | 10:32 PM
Originally posted by hdmlnium
SVT F15O,
Well first off congratulations to the top three (Jim, Sal, Johnny) for all running in the 10's now, Great job!!!!
Now as far a Sal not changing his banner, his statement is still correct, because he is still the (fastest Gen 2) in the 1/4 mile. As Jim is now the Quickest!!! Sal you just need to update your trap speed and you will be fine.
This is a family and I for one would love to see us all as a community grow as one and not by smaller groups.
We can still be proud of whos parts we run and what team we choose to go with but in the end we all love Lightnings.
Maybe we all can forgive and try to forget some of the crap that has gone in the past and try to make the Lightning community one that other automobile enthusiasts would love to be a part of.
Just a thought......
Bill
I agree 110%. It would be nice to see everyone get along and be one big group. I think we all know that isn't gonna happen though because it really all boils down to is money. Everybody wants to make a buck and lately it seems as if they will go as far as knocking the other guy to get that buck. I think these trucks would be a hell of a lot faster if all resources were pulled together. Everyone on this board seems liek a great person to me. Who knows what the future will bring though. On another note you are gonna have one sweet truck man I saw it when I was done at JDM. You get my thumbs up. That thing is gonna fly. -Mat-

Old 10-30-2002 | 06:46 AM
Originally posted by soap
I think throwing rods is more due to over-revving the motor. But I also think the "magical" number that someone came up with a while ago was 450rwhp.

--Joe

I think around 450 RWHP is where the stock converter will start to fail on the truck.

Hello, Factory Tech.....

Old 10-30-2002 | 10:20 AM
hdminium -

You planning on installing a 'chute to slow that thing down at the end!!!??? If someone beats you to the nines (which I doubt) then maybe you can be the first truck in the nines on 22's .

Old 10-30-2002 | 10:31 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
GN1270, I would not suggest going over 20 psi on a stock motor, especially an 01-02 with the weaker rods.
Weaker 01-02 rods? I think I remember hearing about this. What did Ford change with the rods and why would they weaken a part that they already knew was a problem???

Old 10-30-2002 | 10:35 AM
The rods were not "already" a problem. As a matter of fact, I've NEVER heard of a 99-00 owner snapping a rod. I've seen some wrist pin and bearing failures, but never a broken rod on a 99-00. The 01-02s are the ones that break rods. The part number did not change, so I speculate that Ford may have changed vendors who build them. This issue is also not just a Lightning problem. The 4.6 Mustang has the same problem, as fellow Mustang tuners have told me that the 01-up Mustangs are breaking rods over 450rwhp the same exact way.

Old 10-30-2002 | 06:24 PM
So have aftermarket forged rods corrected this problem?? If you built the motor with all forged internals, how long will the block itself last??

Old 10-30-2002 | 06:31 PM
Originally posted by GN1270
So have aftermarket forged rods corrected this problem?? If you built the motor with all forged internals, how long will the block itself last??
Yes, aftermarket lower end parts (such as our PSP lower end package) pretty much bulletproof the motor. I don't think the block is a concern, as the stock 5.4 blocks are holding up to close to 2000 hp in Pro-5.0 and other serious racing classes. The 5.4 is a super strong block with the main caps tied into the block side skirts, and side bolted.

Quick Reply: The TRUTH about Works vs KB blowers.