Lightning

Question about belt slip and boost actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002 | 03:25 PM
|
Question about belt slip and boost actuator?

Some of you metion that you have changed pullies and are not getting the appropriate amount of boost. A lot of you say that this might be caused by belt slip. My question is, how do you know if your belt is slipping? Can you hear or feel something?

The other question is, what is the boost actuator that everyone mentions about? How do you know if it is set correctly? Where is it located?

Old 10-29-2002 | 04:37 PM
The first question I have no idea, but the second question:
http://www.mdsonline.ca/svtmisc.htm
Hope that helps.

Old 10-29-2002 | 05:10 PM
Look on the brace for the supercharger idler pulleys. If you see any black rubber residue on the brace you have belt slippage.

Old 10-29-2002 | 05:24 PM
|
Pardon the question, but where is the brace for the idler pulley?

Old 10-29-2002 | 06:04 PM
Originally posted by brasil
Pardon the question, but where is the brace for the idler pulley?
Follow the supercharger belt downwards fron the blower. Then you will see two black pulleys attached to a brace, Thats it.

Old 10-29-2002 | 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
Follow the supercharger belt downwards fron the blower. Then you will see two black pulleys attached to a brace, Thats it.
Just to help out here.......On top of the brace is where the belt dust will accumulate. A few weeks ago at the track I was getting some belt slippage so I put some blower belt "stickem" on it and cleaned off the brace. Well 2 weeks later and about 400mi later there is still not a trace of dust on the brace.

I just called my buddy who let me borrow it to find out the name of the stuff........he is not sure but he works in the HVAC buisness and he said it is just used for sepentine belts at work, but he tried it before on his L and found the same results.

Anywho.......on a side note, I wish I would have made a sound clip of how loud my blower whine was at idle, it was crazy. It was literally 3 times as loud, just at idle. Sounded like an aftermarket Vortech on my truck

Greg (ib fast) even said something to me about it and he was 4 cars back in the staging lanes........I am sure he has heard some whine before with his 8# lower and 2 # upper

--Joe

Old 10-29-2002 | 06:54 PM
Banned
Has anyone noticed anything from adjusting that boost actuator? I just took a look at mine and holy crap its hard to get too.

Old 10-29-2002 | 07:08 PM
SpankDog, it only works if your actuator was adjusted wrong from the factory.

Joe,i had a 2# upper,it is only a 1# upper now,thanks to magnusons half azzed rebuild.
I had some of that spray chit on my 70 inch belt with my ?# lower and it did not work

Old 10-29-2002 | 07:25 PM
Banned
Thanks ib fast

Old 10-29-2002 | 07:33 PM
Re: Question about belt slip and boost actuator?

Originally posted by brasil
Some of you metion that you have changed pullies and are not getting the appropriate amount of boost. A lot of you say that this might be caused by belt slip. My question is, how do you know if your belt is slipping? Can you hear or feel something?

The other question is, what is the boost actuator that everyone mentions about? How do you know if it is set correctly? Where is it located?
You might hear a squeal, see rubber 'dust' between the two idler pulleys. or you might see a 'fall-off' of boost. If you're worried about belt slippage, put your mind to rest with a Goodyear Gatorback belt.

Dan

Old 10-29-2002 | 09:20 PM
|
The two idler pullies are the two right below the upper supercharger pulley right? If here is dust, it would be really black correct? The braces says Ford on it correct?

Old 10-29-2002 | 09:22 PM
|
Sorry about all the questions. If the belt slips, would it only occur on the idler pullies? Could it happen where the bigger $ pound pulley is at the bottom? Thanks

Old 10-30-2002 | 08:51 AM
It slips(if slipping) around the crank and the s/c pulley but you can 'see' the black, rubber dust between the 2 upper idler pulleys just below the s/c pulley.

Dan

Quick Reply: Question about belt slip and boost actuator?