Lightning

VB vs. Chip on Tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VB vs. Chip on Tranny??

I was just wondering how the VB is safer for making hard shifts compared to the chip increasing line pressure. I know the VB mechanically does it and the chip does it electrically, but doesn't any hard shift increase clutch wear? How does the VB do a hard shift with the factory shift settings (torque reduction, line pressure)? Any feedback would be appreciated. Factory Tech, do you have any input?
Thanks

BD

Old 10-30-2002, 10:28 AM
From what I have read on here increasing the line pressure with a chip is achieved by working the pump harder, thus shortening its life. I have the FTVB with no chip (truck still farts) and the shifts are much quicker and firmer, a vast improvement.

In addition, shortening the shift duration DECREASES clutch wear, not increases.

Old 10-30-2002, 12:53 PM
You may be getting the shift duration confused with the length of time that the motor uses the 4 cylinder cut out known as torque reduction. The stock program (as I understand it) drops 4 cylinders for .4 sec just as the motor shifts to allow the transmission to FULLY ENGAGE into the next gear before the full 500 ft-lbs is applied to the next gear set/clutches. This is a common part of the stock programing that the tuners remove to give a harder shift.

I belive that they also can play with the pressure that the pump applies to these clutches (shift pressure) and they can play with the timing that the trans is between gears(shift duration).

Bottom line is if you feel a BANG on the shift...It is hard on parts. The more bang the more parts will have to be replaced. Tires, gears, u-joints, drive shafts, clutches, trans fluid . . . . . Some people accept these as expendable parts.

Hope this helps

Andy

Old 10-30-2002, 01:55 PM
Andy,
So your saying that it is independent of means of how you get that "bang"? So either way, it is harder on parts. Even a shift kit isn't "safe" (I know "safe" is relative to pocketbook).

Factory Tech, you out there?

Old 10-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Old 10-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Any bang is hard on parts but some combiations are harder on things that others. The worst may be removing the tooque reduction only. The most reliable is keep the torque reduction on and letting Factory tech build you a monster box then run the $#@$%% out of it.

Andy

Last edited by awhittle; 10-30-2002 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:59 PM
The valve body will increase modulator pressure, which from what I have read is different than line pressure because mod. pressure is 'downstream' of the pump. From what I have heard the valve body is safe on trannys plus it gives your a firm, short shift, mechanically.

Don't believe the tuner's "our chips only shortens shift duration, not line pressure." I did, and now my 1-2 shift sucks.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Especially for the link to that thread. I think the VB + chip reburn is calling my name. Oh and the 6#, traction bars, slicks, ....... Anybody else with facts or opinions feel free to chime in. Knowledge is power (or something like that). Anyone have just a chip firming shifts that hasn't had their tranny grenade on them?

Old 10-30-2002, 08:37 PM
Still wondering if anyone is running their truck with just the chip firming shifts and is problem free? Need a timeframe on getting the VB and reburn!

Quick Reply: VB vs. Chip on Tranny??