Lightning

Marble noise out of blower question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002 | 06:55 PM
|
Marble noise out of blower question...

OK last question of the night

OK I heard that it is common when you change the pulley for our trucks to make a rattling noise at idle due to the different RPM of the blower. My question is, can this noise come after 2000 miles of having a new pulley. I put the pulley on 2500 miles ago and it was quite as can be at a light, but recently (2500 Miles later) there is a rattling noise when I am stopped at a light. Can it appear after several miles? If I put the truck in N it goes away and goes away when I drive off. It also seems to be louder some days then others. I hate this noise.. It sounds crappy and not like a new truck. You know what I mean? Almost sounds like a mini Diesel.. LOL.

Old 11-03-2002 | 07:02 PM
Check to make sure the bolts holding the new pulley on are still tight. Mine was making the same type of noise and I took it in to have the tech listen to it. He thought the idler pulley was going bad. They told me to put the stock pulley back on and they would make a warranty claim. When I went to remove the JL pulley, I noticed the 2 of the 3 bolts were loose. I tightened them up and the noise quit.

You can also remove the supercharger belt and run the truck without the s/c to see if it still makes the noise or not. I did this first to make sure I wasn't wasting my time.

Old 11-03-2002 | 07:26 PM
|
Hmmm I will definitely check that out. I quickly went out to see if I can see and feel the bolts but they are to hard to get at with out a hoist or by going under the truck. I grabbed the pulley and tried shaking it to see if it is lose but it did not move at all. I will however get under the truck tomorrow and use a torque wrench to see if the bolts are tight enough.
Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by RAN JR
Check to make sure the bolts holding the new pulley on are still tight. Mine was making the same type of noise and I took it in to have the tech listen to it. He thought the idler pulley was going bad. They told me to put the stock pulley back on and they would make a warranty claim. When I went to remove the JL pulley, I noticed the 2 of the 3 bolts were loose. I tightened them up and the noise quit.

You can also remove the supercharger belt and run the truck without the s/c to see if it still makes the noise or not. I did this first to make sure I wasn't wasting my time.

Old 11-03-2002 | 10:51 PM
Are the days it makes noise cold? Mine makes more blower rattle or what ever they call it on cold days I am assuming becuase the charge is so dense.

Quick Reply: Marble noise out of blower question...