Lightning

Engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002 | 07:06 PM
|
Engine dies

Last night while driving at WOT at approximately 85 -90 MPH my engine shut off. It died instantaneously, as though the ignition was killed. I shifted into neutral and was able to easily start the engine again while coasting. This was the second time in the last few months that this occurred (the first was under almost identical circumstances). This is WAY disconcerting. Have any of you experienced this phenominon? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Old 11-03-2002 | 07:19 PM
That happened to me at the track one night and it was my chip that had a 'connection' problem. The contacts weren't gripping the PCM tight enough.

If you don't have a chip, then I d/k???

Dan

Old 11-03-2002 | 07:44 PM
|
I do have a chip. Shortly after I installed it the engine died and wouldn't start until I secured the chip better. This is different. The engine just killed and then started up immediately. If it was a connection problem, I would expect the chip to require some manipulation before it would start again. I'm baffled.

Old 11-03-2002 | 07:53 PM
Fuel filter????Cheapest thing first right???If not fuel pump???

Old 11-03-2002 | 09:58 PM
Same thing happened to me at FFW Ennis during my first Top Truck qualifying run in September. I had maybe 6 gallons of gas in the tank. I assumed that during the launch, gas went to the back of the tank allowing air to get in the line. Dead as a doornail at the 1,000 foot mark (90+mph). Shifted to neutral as I crossed the line, started right up, and exited the track. No chip.

Same thing happened yesterday on the dyno (1/4 tank of gas) with a chip. The engine burped once and off. Started right up again and finished the dyno run. The gas tank couldn't have been a problem because it was strapped down to the dyno.

I will look at the plugs next weekend and let you know what I find out, but for now, I'm just as puzzled as you are.

Old 11-03-2002 | 10:53 PM
Reclean the contacts, just a little vibration can break/make the connection, and if you sever any of the contacts while its going, your engine will most likely die. Had the same exact problem on my truck. Nice little clean, and reseated da chip and retapped been going strong ever since

Brandon

Quick Reply: Engine dies