Lightning

Anyone else sick of these "my engine just blew" threads???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

No prob!

Old 11-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Building an vehicle like an SVT for an OEM isn't as simple as throwing some aftermarket parts on it and sending it out the door. It needs to go through grueling amounts of testing (since the Lightning was a truck, it still had to go through some off-road durability testing, as ridiculous as that sounds) not to mention all the government mandated tests, plus the vehicles have to meet emissions and safety regulations
Excellent point. This issue on the table is that Ford built a vehicle that performed well and met the criteria, and still they managed to make it affordable enough for people to buy. As designed you have 380hp and 450ft/lb and the setup is designed to handle that; if you decide to fool with it you take a chance on stressing out a component which will lead to failure.

If you worked at GE and someone brought in a microwave that exploded from being plugged into a 220v outlet would you:

A) Apologize, refund their money, and vow to insure that your next model will allow them to "supercharge" their cooking time.

OR

B) Laugh so hard that you wet your pants.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Good grief, I'm away for half a day and my post goes right down the sh*tter.

Some of you guys are humorous at best. You actually have the audacity to believe that Ford has $10,000 built into the truck for warranty work, just so you can go blow your engine....... trans....... rear end....... and so-on. You be funny boys. I guess if it makes you feel better when you try to stick the manufacturer for what you did, then go ahead and justify it any way you can.

The fact of the matter is, they are in business to make money (novel concept, huh). If enough of you pull the wool over their eyes, then you may get your engine/trans/whatever replaced. However, if these warranty costs get too high, there just won't be Lightnings anymore. If you are narrow minded enough with that statement to go "good, I have mine so I don't care" then I really feel for you. When a performance product dies due to irresponsible ownership, we all lose.

Also, while we are on the soapbox....... if you hate your truck so much....... and hate Ford so much for not catering to your every whim (please show me which manufacturer does)....... and you think it is such a POS........THEN GET RID OF IT. It is that simple. Go buy the standard cab Silverado SS (oops, doesn't exist), or the $50K Ram SRT/10 (oops, doesn't exist yet), or........ or....... or........ Then when they have failed you in your narrow perspective of how things should be, you can cry all over their forums.

One last thing, when you buy a modification, you take a risk....... especially if it is an off-the-shelf item. If you have a blown truck, and you don't have said chip dynotuned for your vehicle....... you are taking a risk. I have never seen any tuner get on here and say "Here I have the absolute best, most hp making ______ that is 100% completely and absolutally reliable no matter what you have or what you do." The only parts you can feel comfortable with (maybe an overstatement) are part in the Motorsports catalog........ as Ford has extensively tested them. Remember, these tuners are only doing what you ask them to do. They do not know if you are telling them the whole story. They do not know if you are going to use it in a responsible manner. None of them twist your arm to buy their product. They are only providing you hp. It is up to you to use your head, and use it responsibly.

(off soapbox now...... and back in flame suit)

Old 11-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

uh...we'd rather just have your husband post.
You're too mean.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:28 PM
Awwww......... did I hurt your wittle feewings????

I sowwy (patting your back and telling you that it will all be ok).

Actually, my husband can be alot more blunt than me......... and a hell of a lot more sarcastic about things he is passionate about. I think he is just being restrained here because it is my post.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:29 PM
My first impression after reading that....You go girl! Way to lay out the logic.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:41 PM
flafonman - I'll take option "B", LMAO

94LightningGal - you are absolutley correct and I agree 100%. Way to go However, this doesn't mean I'm not gonna mod my truck...

Quick Reply: Anyone else sick of these "my engine just blew" threads???