Lightning

Funny Chevy SS Post

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002 | 10:41 AM
Wink

th 6.0 chevy motor, does not produce anywhere near the power of the blown 5.4 motor. if any of you believe your going to get that 395hp/409trq motor, in a 30K pickup truck, i need to start making your decisions for you. that same 395/409 motor appeared 4 years ago in that first "gold" Silverado ss concept, with it's intricate head work and corvette this, and cadillac that. if the reg cab is made, it will have the stock 5.3 285hp, or the stock 6.0 300hp, so that they can offer the stick shift and a warrenty. the 345 hp will be reserved for the 40K+, automatic only awd 4dr version that is coming out first. the only way any manufacturer can make a good profit on these type of vehicles, is using "off the shelf" items to build them. custom head work?? i have to laugh,, or something

Old 11-09-2002 | 10:49 AM
The Lightning also has the best "SBM" factor of just about anything on the road today Go ahead...ask me what I'm talking about

Old 11-09-2002 | 10:54 AM
Dustin, my motor and tranny were tore down at almost 30k and after a few hundred trips down the 1320 and more than a thousand 65-70 mph kickdowns..they were both found to be in excellent condition,with no signs of wear on the bearings in the motor or clutchpacks in the tranny ect.
The pistons even had some of the break in coating still on them and i actually sold the stock rods and pistons to someone who ventilated there block with a lower pulley and nitrous on an unsafe tune or over revving..take your pick.
My 00 ran a best of 12.79 108.97 with no pulleys...i beleive it was because i drove this truck hard from the moment i picked it up and raced it with 300 miles on the odometer.

Just so you no,i rebuilt everything in anticipation of a bigger aftermarket blower and 18-20#'s of boost as opposed to having to because of a ventilated block.

When it comes down to it,there are 100 positive stories about the abuse a gen 2 motor can take,compared to the few that threw a rod from over revving,or a chip not tuned to there mods ect....why concentrate on the negative?

I would not hesitate to buy another L as long as you have the right tune,fuel,plugs ect and pay a little attention,you can run much quicker than stock,as safe or more likely safer, than you can with any other brand of sport truck that may be produced.

And with a 4-5 year head start,your more likely to do it more realiably than the new sport trucks on the block imho.

Greg

Old 11-10-2002 | 10:43 AM
Very cool, someone with a bit of reality.

Old 11-10-2002 | 11:09 AM
Question

BTW SubZero, in reference to the only high performance vehicle GM now makes with the highly reliable Vortec, did they ever resolve the high oil consumption issue in the Z06? Last thing I saw they were blaming the owners for the problem. Glad they're stepping up to the plate.

Old 11-10-2002 | 12:48 PM
The Z06 doesnt have a vortec motor. Anyway there vettes are WAY over price I would'nt own one.

Dustin

Old 11-10-2002 | 07:35 PM
Exclamation Hmmm ?

Although the small block was first applied to cars, today it's more prevalent in trucks and is now part of GM's Vortec family of engines. The Vortec name encompasses the 4.3-liter V6 (4300), the 4.8-, 5.3- and 6.0-liter (4800, 5300 and 6000) small-block V8s, the 8.1-liter (8100) big-block V8, the LS1 and LS6 small-block engines that power Chevy Corvettes and Camaros and Pontiac Firebirds, and GM's latest innovation—the all-aluminum 4.2-liter (4200) inline six-cylinder.

http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/...6AUTKWFAM.html

Old 11-10-2002 | 08:14 PM
What I can't understand is why everyone compares this crappy new SS to the L. They are in a different class, beyond the fact that they are both trucks. I would think, since it is an extended cab, it would be more comparable to the Harley. Both in price and performance.

BTW, I have been reading a few forums recently that are bashing Ford for "falling behind" in the performance market, especially after the SEMA announcements etc. As far as I know, Ford is the only company with a true stable of performance cars: SVT Focus, Cobra, and Lightning. Dodge and Gm have a performance vehicle a piece. Until the other guys actually come out with a reg cab 395hp truck, or a 262 HP supercharged Cavalier, then all the Chevy or Dodge guys should stop their whining.

Lets be honest--Ford created this current market as we now see it, the current HP war. I am sure they will continue to set the bar. The GT40, 2004 STV Focus, 05 (or 06?) L, and the next gen Cobra will all kick ***.

Old 11-10-2002 | 08:20 PM
Old 11-10-2002 | 08:29 PM
Question

litnfast, what are you talking about?

Old 11-10-2002 | 08:31 PM

I understand that and that is also my point--it's a darn concept! Who know what it will be, but what we do know now is this:

1. New Chevy SS is not an L fighter.
2. The L is actually here, and has been for nearly 5 years.
3. Reg Cab SS is a GM pipe dream shown at SEMA.

Old 11-10-2002 | 08:40 PM
Originally posted by TZRLightning01
100% pure truth right there...very insightful. i grew up a chevy man but when you look at the market today, all chevy has is the corvette. when it comes time for a sport truck, the Lightning reigns supreme and will continue to do so until chevy gets their head out of their a$$ and gives us some competition.
The Lightning was my first Ford, having grown up in a GM family.

In trucks today, the L has no equal--in performance, looks, and racing heritage. I really understand now the connection between Ford and racing. I'm a Ford guy now!

Old 11-10-2002 | 10:12 PM
Smile Well thankyou MISTERgadget

Originally posted by MISTERgadget
litnfast, what are you talking about?
IT took almost two days but someone finally asked... Just drive a Lightning past a school-bus and watch the MAYHEM that erupts from within. Kids start hangin out the windows sceaming and yelling...It's a Lightning...It's a Lightning!!! Thus the SBM factor. School-Bus Mayhem

Old 11-11-2002 | 12:37 PM
Suspended Pending Email Reply
Re: Well thankyou MISTERgadget

Originally posted by litnfast
IT took almost two days but someone finally asked... Just drive a Lightning past a school-bus and watch the MAYHEM that erupts from within. Kids start hangin out the windows sceaming and yelling...It's a Lightning...It's a Lightning!!! Thus the SBM factor. School-Bus Mayhem
Where the heck do you live, that any kid on a bus knows what a Lightning actually is?

Old 11-11-2002 | 03:50 PM
Re: Re: Well thankyou MISTERgadget

Originally posted by BlkBanshee
Where the heck do you live, that any kid on a bus knows what a Lightning actually is?
MIAMI

Quick Reply: Funny Chevy SS Post