Lightning

Screwed by the preacherman

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screwed by the preacherman

Here I take my happy a** to work this morning in my perfectly good cj5 jeep.. why i even left the house i have no idea.

This guy walks up and starts talking to my foreman (who is riding with me at the time) about my jeep.. says he is interested in it...has been looking for one... is it for sale etc..

By this time i have come outside the hardware store.. (the guy is gone)..and I get the full scoop from my foreman.. This guy has got cash and is ready to buy.

Well i dont even have a for sale sign on the cj but i have been thinking about it so i call this guy on his cell. He turns around and meets me back at the hardware store.

So this guy pulls up in a ford ranger.. looks nice .. nice paint, brand new tires, frame has been painted etc. I comment and say "Nice truck." He counters with "Well, let's throw keys." Thus begins my nightmare.

So, needless to say, after a test drive or two, I end up the proud new owner of a 1989 Ford Ranger with a 2.9 V6.

After we swap titles, the engine did everything but lock up and leave me stranded (thank God I made it home). I broke down the top end and found metal shavings etc. (the guy told me he had just put a new engine in it).

Yes, he is indeed the local preacher.

I have tried to find any Ranger sites that were worthwhile. I am looking to either swap the stock V6 or into the possibility of doing a V8 swap. I am coming to you, my Lightning Brothers and Sisters, for help. Does anyone know of a good website or have any info on swapping the V6 to a V8?

Guess I'll just have to drive the Lightning for now.

Old 11-09-2002, 09:40 PM
Sent ya a email

Jack

Old 11-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Banned
I had a 96 Ranger with a 302 and a blower. It was a fun project. However, all of the pictures were destroyed in a fire...

( Ex threw the entire photobox into the fireplace.. Hence the word EX )

Old 11-09-2002, 10:00 PM
I feel for ya but I am laughing out of my chair right now. That is such a BAAAD deal. A preacher of all people. You should go hunt him down. Maybe it is lawsuit time??

Old 11-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Talking Do the V8

Put a 302 out of a mustang in my 83 Ranger 4X4 and had a ton of fun. E-mail me and I will tell you who I called for the swap parts. It really wasnt that hard. And was really worth it Went from a 2.0 4 cylinder to a 5.0 V-8 Nice.

Old 11-09-2002, 11:04 PM
sorry to hear about that. anyway, www.rangerpowersports.com is a pretty good site for info on rangers and there's a link on there for a site about the 5.0 swaps
good luck

Old 11-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here I was thinking you where screwed by a preacher man in a different way

Old 11-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Preachers are the worst. If you ever buy/trade a used vehicle from a preacher then... Well you have been warned. Better late than never.

My father gave a preacher an RX4 years ago. He actually ran that rotary without oil, and blew the engine within 2 weeks.

Sorry to all you preachers out their, but you guys don't seem to be car buffs, but do seem real hard on cars.

Who am I kidding. no preachers are going to be in an L board.

Old 11-10-2002, 07:09 AM
Well i called precher man last night

Guess you guys can figure how that went.

Today i will be pulling the heads, radiator , intake , camshaft, oil pump out of a 2.9.

I am hoping i can change the oil pump, and cam + lifters to make this thing at least drivable.

Of course i should probably be in church with preacherman.

MORAL OF THE STORY ??

Never trust a Baptist preacher that chews copenhagen.

Old 11-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Appears Barnum was right (again).

Here's your sign.

Last edited by jaymz; 11-10-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:39 PM
I don't know the website, but for Cologne V6 engines there's a place in Colorado called Vanir technology, and he's the Chit with them. Does mostly 4.0s, (a direct swap with the 2.9) and he really knows his stuff.

G

Old 11-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by detail
I feel for ya but I am laughing out of my chair right now. That is such a BAAAD deal. A preacher of all people. You should go hunt him down. Maybe it is lawsuit time??
There is nothing that he could be sued for.

Old 11-10-2002, 11:03 PM
ranger

You can find a ton of info and used parts at www.race-dezert.com it is a website for the offroad enthuist.

Old 11-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I learned alot of years ago, that when I traded anything, I always got hosed.

Remember : Cash is King!!!

Anymore, when someone is interested in trading me something, I tell them to sell their whatever, and come back with CASH.

Look at the brighter side : When you get it patched up, put it up for sale and advertise that it was only used on Sundays by the preacherman to go to church. heeheehee
------------
Rick

Old 11-10-2002, 11:12 PM
OK OK

my father is a preacher and he would NEVER do anything like that... I have over the last 30 yrs of my life taught him how to take care of his cars.. very basic though and he calls me when he has car problems.. so lets not get out there and make preacher generalizations..
Dana

Quick Reply: Screwed by the preacherman