Lightning

Kenne Bell ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenne Bell ?

I was just reading some of the info on the Kenne Bell site regarding their replacement blower. When they did the comparison against the Eaton the say that both units had the same size upper and lower pulleys. What about the gear ratio in the snout? Are they the same as well? Do both internally spin at the same RPM. Not doubting their results, just curious. I tend to get curious when all data is not accounted for.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:53 PM
I didn't read too deep into the data, but from real world experience...I had a 10lb lower and 2lb upper on my Eaton and ran a best of 12.0. With the KB, I installed a 6lb lower and 3.25" upper and ran a 11.4 on a really conservative chip...actually it was my street chip before the blower swap. Whatever the data is, I'm sure it's correct if not understated. The new generation blowers put out!!!

Old 11-11-2002, 07:06 PM
The numbers look good. I can't say that I agree with everything KB says in their press release (although I am not an expert on it).

"Never run a chip without the new formatted knock tables exclusive in Kenne Belle Switch Chips"

I thought the knock sensor wasn't connected. Is this just a new fuel/timing curve?

"Not much horsepower to be gained in the inlet system"

Seemed to help me...can't say about the exhaust though since mine is still stock.

Would still like to see a direct comparison against the Works blower...

Old 11-11-2002, 08:29 PM
No question that they perform. I hope to have one on my truck at some point. My point was that their comparison eludes to the fact that both blowers were turning at the same rpm. At the pulleys that is true, but there are gears in the snout that dictate how fast the input shaft will turn the rotors. They may be the same, I don't know. Just a piece of the puzzle that was missing. Just something this ****-retentive wanna-be engineer thought about.

No doubt the twin screw it a more efficient way to stuff air in. I have a feeling that we will soon see twin screw chargers coming stock on more than one Ford product. Coming soon to a dealer near you!

Old 11-11-2002, 09:03 PM
Silver-Bolt,

Agreed...it's like comparing apples to oranges. They only thing they have in common is that they are both air compressors, other than that..mechanically they are much different. Different rotors, inlets, gearing, etc.

Old 11-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Silver
Inside of a screw blower its different, they have a 5 lobe rotor and a 4 lobe rotor and they are geared at a 5/7 ratio I think. Dont quote me on this. So I guess that means that only one rotor is turning the same speed as an eaton the other one is spinning a little faster.
Dale

Old 11-11-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Bad as L
...Inside of a screw blower its different, they have a 5 lobe rotor and a 4 lobe rotor and they are geared at a 5/7 ratio I think. Dont quote me on this. ...
Visual of the Lysholm (sp?) lobes:

A few more here

Old 11-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 99svtlightning
Silver-Bolt,

Agreed...it's like comparing apples to oranges. They only thing they have in common is that they are both air compressors, other than that..mechanically they are much different. Different rotors, inlets, gearing, etc.
Clarification: The Eaton is not a "compressor," it is a fixed-displacement pump. The twin-screw is a true compressor, meaning that the air is forced into a progrssively smaller chamber as it travels through the rotors. A twin-screw is kind of like a combination between a Roots-type blower (Eaton) and a centrifugal. I want one.

Old 11-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Now that's good stuff. Since the twin screw is a compressor it seems strange that it has the lower discharge temp. Compressing air generates heat. On "paper" I would think that the pump (roots) would have a lower temp. Still want one.

Old 11-12-2002, 11:24 AM
There will be a direct one-on-one comparison done between the KB and the Works140 very soon.

Be patient.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell ?