Lightning

Question about fuel filter and picking up hp

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW
Here's the same plugs, 14 days earlier with even more Mods after 6 straight weekends at the track. I run a 2 LB Upper also in the summer months and it was on for those 6 weekends I was at the track. And each time I was cutting in and out at WOT at the end of the track, I have tons of post about it. Like an ******* I didn't check my filter cause it was so new and I was using great gas from a new station OR SO I ****ING THOUGHT. *** YOU AMOCO.

My last run was with a new filter (finally) and it was my 12.8. I was so tempted to go home and get the 2lb upper so I could have seen the true power of my L FOR THE FIRST TIME. Next spring I'll go out and get my mid to lower 12 sec run in "AND I'LL CHANGE MY FILTER BEFORE I GO"

Old 11-14-2002, 10:43 PM
need lots of help

hi i just got a 2000 lightning and i don't have a bunch of money but would like to sup up my lightning has much has i can for my buck do ya'll have any ideas of what i can buy thats will give me the best mods for my buck

Old 11-15-2002, 12:22 AM
Re: need lots of help

Originally posted by macracer18
hi i just got a 2000 lightning and i don't have a bunch of money but would like to sup up my lightning has much has i can for my buck do ya'll have any ideas of what i can buy thats will give me the best mods for my buck

Hmm maybe that was why I was getting detonation in the first place.....i bought a filter and tool today...i plan on putting it in tomorrow evening!

macracer18: Try starting a new thread. You will get more help than you need

Old 11-15-2002, 02:23 AM
gonna change mine this weekend

What exactly is the fuel line tool called? and I figure checker auto should carry em what do you guys think? Als would the ato parts stre caryy the filter or am I gonna have to go to ford?

Old 11-15-2002, 08:07 AM
Re: gonna change mine this weekend

Originally posted by SICKBOY
What exactly is the fuel line tool called? and I figure checker auto should carry em what do you guys think? Als would the ato parts stre caryy the filter or am I gonna have to go to ford?
Just ask for a fuel line disconnect for a Ford filter. Most any auto parts store(I got mine at PEP boys and have seen one at Sears-tools dept.) will carry one. The tool is usually in the form of a 'X' and pivots at the crossover although Sear's tool was a set of disconnectors in another design.

I use the OEM filter but others make them as well--available at your auto parts store.

Thanks Rob

Dan

Old 11-15-2002, 08:22 AM
I may need to start a new thread to get an answer but I think it is allong the lines of the fuel filter. Before I ask my question, should give some info on things done. Replaced the stock pumps with the dual 255s. Ok my problem/question is if I am crusing and get on the throttle (staying out of boost) the fuel pressure will go up (as it should) but flutter up and down a few psi. If I get on it just in boost it goes straight to 50psi. I have already pulled the pumps to make sure everything was secure and also checked my gauges to make sure they were connected correctly. Also the vac does not move at all (don't think it is a vacume leak). After looking at this post I am thinking that it may be the fuel filter. My L has over 13,000 miles so it is time for a change anyway.

Old 11-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Skank Dog
After removing one you should be able to blow air through it......I couldnt hardly blow through my old one at all. I cut it in half and it was full of black crud!
I'm going to change my filter soon too. I'll try and blow thought it too. You guys are waiting for the filter to be completely dry when you try this right?

It's easier to blow something dry vs. something wet. <<Get your minds out of the gutter, I'm talking about the filter>>

Old 11-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
LIGHTNINROD hit the nail right on the head. It's not so much HP you worry about, it's the motor starving for gas at the track and then causing a lean condition, I'm sure I was seconds from throwing a rod as a result of something as simple as a gas filter.
You see how fast it melted those three plugs, God knows what it did to the inside of my Motor A 02 w/6k on it when that happen. And God knows where the missing pieces went or what damage that caused. Only time will tell
those plugs look just like mine 3 of the grounds burned, unfortunately , i did throw a rod .man you were lucky. i had 9000 miles on my motor. filter was plugged ,just changed exhaust way loud couldn't here it pinging.

Old 11-15-2002, 01:40 PM
99 SVT Bolt

If you blow through it dry..you're outta gas....grin

Old 11-15-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by AZBLACKMONSOON
those plugs look just like mine 3 of the grounds burned, unfortunately , i did throw a rod .man you were lucky. i had 9000 miles on my motor. filter was plugged ,just changed exhaust way loud couldn't here it pinging.
Sorry to hear that AZBLACKMONSOON.
Isn't it amazing that a clogged fuel filter can destroy your investment in a second, ****ing Ford. If Dodge can make the Caravan shut down if it's too hot or low on oil (WHICH IT DOES)
then ford can make the L shut down if it's low on fuel pressure.
But, like the Pinto, they rather it blow and kill people than spend $20.00 more.

Quick Reply: Question about fuel filter and picking up hp