Lightning

Exhaust Dyno Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002 | 03:56 PM
|
Thumbs up Exhaust Dyno Comparison

5.0 Mustang & Super Fords, December 2002, American Rumble pg. 49. They have data for 17 dyno runs, they made 66 all together. Interesting data for sure. It actually confirms most everything that everybody has been saying on here, as odd as that seems. They also have weight, design, materials, decibal levels at idle, 2k RPMS, and WOT.

If you want to switch mufflers, this is a must read guide.

Bottom line, some make power, some don't (compared to no muffler).

No, I don't work for or have stock in the magazine, wish I did now though.

Old 11-17-2002 | 06:21 PM
Were they all tested on a Lightning??

Jason

Old 11-17-2002 | 06:34 PM
Banned
Originally posted by StruckBy99
Were they all tested on a Lightning??

Jason
Nope, on mustangs which makes the test completely irrelevant to us.

Old 11-17-2002 | 06:46 PM
|
It was on a Mustang that runs high 11's (I think). The test was pretty interesting, and relevant. It shows scavenging because it compares to an open exhaust, which does have an effect on the L.

I also found 2 mistakes in their comparison. The Bassani's in their test have the hp column mismarked. HP and Torque always cross paths at 5250 because HP is a function of Torque and RPM's.

Flying ****,
I'd still love to hear a clip of that cool exhaust that you have on your L. Wasn't Magnaflow supposed to come out with the high flow cat included exhaust this month? I looked around their website and didn't find it listed yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also Kudos to you for being the 1st! At least I would have something to ask Santa for.

Old 11-18-2002 | 05:14 AM
Banned
Hey bud, Ive been lagging behind due to work. I work for the Dept of Homeland Security and have my hands full at the moment. At any rate, ill get you the clip by the end of the week.

RE: Magnaflow. Ill let you know this week if they are releasing the high flow converters this month. they havent called me back for final fitment yet. They dont keep their website updated, so you should check with Don Walker or call CarSound Magnaflow themselves.

As far as the test go on the mustang, you cant compare them with a Lightning. Reason being, take the length of pipe for starters. Their mufflers are much shorter and have a longer run. Straight through muffler always win the power game ( IE: Bassani, Magnaflow, UltraFlo, Borla XR-1 ). against chambered mufflers (Flowmaster, Mac, Edelbrock, Hooker ), especially in blown applications.

With the Lightning, you have a lot less pipe to deal with. It makes it much harder to get scavaging out mufflers. I dont think a set of smaller mustang mufflers would last very long on a Lightning. I think i read on here someone actually blew out flowmasters on his Lightning.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Dyno Comparison