Lightning

Cheap mod to help with Traction & Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich,
I just ordered 2deg pinion shims yesterday..does this affect the front end alignment?? thanks..JR

Old 11-25-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by SLVRLTNG
Rich,
I just ordered 2deg pinion shims yesterday..does this affect the front end alignment?? thanks..JR
Hey SLVRLTNG, no, putting in rear shims...which any offroad 4x4 shop will have on hand... will not affect front end alignment. I have the 3/4 drop and started with a 4 deg. shim( $15 )...but went with a 6 deg. shim to get the pinion angle i wanted. Since when you lower any vehicle it gives it waaaaay to much positive pinion angle that needs to be corrected.

Old 11-25-2002, 01:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's lot a of articles on the internet regarding correct driveshaft angles. It's best to measure the angles before adding shims. Here's one article:
http://www.classictruckshop.com/driveline.asp

Old 11-25-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by QuickBrick
Rich,
Same question. My pinion angle looked similar after lowering (maybe a bit more) with Western Chassis hangers… I installed the 6-degree shims to bring it back up…

Thanks…
You mean you installed the shims to bring the front of the rear end down...not up. Up is positive, down is negative. Installing front hangers rotates the front of the springs and rear end up giving severe positive pinion angle. Installing a shim 4 or 6 degree with the thickest side facing the front of the truck gives you the negative pinion angle you desire.

Hope this clears up some peoples questions about pinion angles. Many people dont understand front end alignments and rear end pinion angles. Its all in the angles

Old 11-25-2002, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Negative pinion

Originally posted by superfords
Hey Eric, did I see your truck at Buffalo Wild Wings one night last week? there were two silver L's there, I was driving a yellow S281 Saleen.

also, a guy that works there (BW3's) owns an L, red I think.

just curious.

later,
chris
Wow! That was your Saleen? Sweet.
My silver L was parked in the front corner of the BW3's parking lot last Wednesday night. I was eating wings and watching the VT-WVU game there with a buddy. I admired the (your) Saleen when I was walking back to my truck.

I didn't see the red L but the lot was pretty full.

Cool... We'll have to meet up some time.

Last edited by ema100c; 11-25-2002 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
I did a 2/4" drop over the weekend.
I used both hangers and shackles (DJM stuff).

I now have a little positive pinion angle (the nose of the rear end is pointing up slightly) and the truck vibrates from a dead stop until about 15 or 20 miles per hour.
The kit came with a 4 degree shim that I didn't install yet.
My truck came with a shim that is a little thicker in front already.
Should I leave that shim there and put the 4 degree under it so they are both thicker towards the front or should I remove the original and put just the one that came with the kit (thicker to the front, right?)

Also, what is the easiest way to install the shim?
I'm driving a long way to my mom's for Thanksgiving tomorow and figure I should probably fix the angle before I go.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by StevenC
I did a 2/4" drop over the weekend.
I used both hangers and shackles (DJM stuff).

I now have a little positive pinion angle (the nose of the rear end is pointing up slightly) and the truck vibrates from a dead stop until about 15 or 20 miles per hour.
The kit came with a 4 degree shim that I didn't install yet.
My truck came with a shim that is a little thicker in front already.
Should I leave that shim there and put the 4 degree under it so they are both thicker towards the front or should I remove the original and put just the one that came with the kit (thicker to the front, right?)

Also, what is the easiest way to install the shim?
I'm driving a long way to my mom's for Thanksgiving tomorow and figure I should probably fix the angle before I go.

Thanks,
Steve
If you dont have that 4 deg shim you risk breaking your driveshaft. No truck should have ANY shims stock. Yes the thick part goes toward the front. Take whatever is in there out and put just the 4 in. DId you buy the truck new?

Old 11-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the help

I put the 4 degree shim in today, I left the other shim in place.
Maybe the truck had the 2 degree shim in it because it is a 7700 series F150.
At any rate, I think all the vibration is gone.
I was in a hurry to fix it, I misjudged the labor time and was 10 minutes late to a midterm, not bad, it took an hour to add the shims using the little bottle jack that came with the truck.
I'll be doing the alignment tomorow and then driving to Mom's for Turkey day.
When I get back I'll take the original shim out and see if it rides any better, at least I think it will be safe for the four hour drive to San Juan Capistrano.

Thanks for your help!
Steve

Old 11-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Not good to have two shims together ..the rear end will spit them out if you hit a good bump!

Old 11-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info ROUSHFAN-1

I think in my case it will be ok, my kit came with a longer leafspring centerbolt and spacer that goes through the hole in each of the shims.

I still feel a very slight vibration though. I'm not sure if I have gone too far or not far enough. When I get back this weekend I will pop the original shim off and see how it feels.

Thanks for the help!
Steve

Quick Reply: Cheap mod to help with Traction & Wheel Hop