Lightning

Cheap mod to help with Traction & Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002 | 07:46 PM
|
Thumbs up Cheap mod to help with Traction & Wheel Hop

One of my local buddies Scott (AUDIO18) stopped by today with he Silver 02 PSP powered truck to get alittle work done. I set his truck up how mine was last year. Giving it alittle negative pinion angle for better traction. Its a cheap & easy mod, THAT WORKS....

Old 11-23-2002 | 07:48 PM
|
The goal is to make the noise of the rear sit down some....

Here is the finished product.....

Also fixed his 02 Exhaust problem. The pipes were hanging 4in below the body kit....

Old 11-23-2002 | 08:51 PM
don't let soap see those dirty axle tubes

Old 11-23-2002 | 10:19 PM
Thanks Richard for posting these pics and for all your help today!!

I will be taking the truck out in a little bit for a little testing, but so far I have noticed a nice reduction in wheel hop and better traction off the launch. I will post further results later tonight.
This has been another one of those great bang for your buck mods that we enjoy so much with these trucks.

As far as the cleanliness of my vehicle, I think that Richard can vouch that it was far from dirty since I just washed it this morning. I even washed out the wheel wells and the inside of the wheels by hand, but I just didn't get behind the wheels. So sorry, it was only 43 degrees and windy at the time.

Last edited by Audio18; 11-23-2002 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2002 | 12:44 AM
Ok, after an evening of putting around town at a reasonable pace and a few run-ins with some local mustangs and ss's, I have thuroughly concluded that this mod helps out alot.

It may help some more than others, but I can surely say that it helped my launch alot so far. Hopefully I will get a chance to go to the track tomorrow and get concrete numbers for you.

Before the mod, I launched off idle and just slowly rolled on the throttle, and it would break traction as soon as I got into the throttle more than 3/4. (thus getting 60ft in the 2.1-2.2 range on F1's)

After, I can launch off of idle by blipping the throttle to get the truck rolling, and then I can roll into the gas quicker without it breaking loose. (hopefully looking at more of a 1.85-1.9 60ft now)

Old 11-24-2002 | 04:24 AM
|
I think you will get some 1.8's or 1.9's tomm for sure. Your truck is SPOTLESS, its just these great wet VA roads that make trash get thrown all around the bottom.

US VA boys have Daily Driver toy's lol..... Not show trucks...

Old 11-24-2002 | 08:56 AM
Nice Post ICULOKN
Very informative, where would I get those wedges ???
And Audio, Please let us know how you make with your 60ft times.

Old 11-24-2002 | 09:07 AM
Negative pinion

Richard,
Did I get the same negative pinion when I lowered the rear of my truck with the 2" Belltech shackles?

Another Richmond boy here (Southside that is)

Old 11-24-2002 | 10:01 AM
Rich,
Same question. My pinion angle looked similar after lowering (maybe a bit more) with Western Chassis hangers… I installed the 6-degree shims…

Sort of felt like it was binding the first ten feet from a stop (until the shims), how does yours feel and how low is your rear drop?

Thanks…

Last edited by QuickBrick; 12-17-2002 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2002 | 10:02 AM
|
Re: Negative pinion

Originally posted by ema100c
Richard,
Did I get the same negative pinion when I lowered the rear of my truck with the 2" Belltech shackles?

Funny you should ask that.

Factory setup is around 0 to positive 1 on pinion angle. Negative 3-4 is what you want for drag racing.

The 2in shackels seem to take off about 1-1.5 deg of angle, so yes you get some. I added 2 deg shims to his to put him arounf 3.5 deg negative.

You can get shims and any performance shop or from Jegs or summit.

Old 11-24-2002 | 03:20 PM
Thanks Richard

Old 11-24-2002 | 05:20 PM
I have heard that neg pinion angles can cause a roar or vibration when slowing to a stop... a sound that I am getting but I cannot tell if it is caused by my 2" Belltech shackles or by the front tires scalloping around the edges. It is DEFINATELY not the rotors. I have also heard that this roar is even worse in the Harleys due to the 2-peice drive shaft.

ICULOKN or anyone else, have you hear of this problem? Someone said that the pinion angle can be put back to stock (after the shackles) by reversing the factory shim.

Sammy

Old 11-24-2002 | 06:23 PM
I too have the 2" shackles, but we added an addition 2 degree shim yesterday. I have not exprerienced any of the roaring when slowing down. Obviously your truck could be setup slightly different from mine, so I would not rule out the pinion angle.

Old 11-24-2002 | 06:26 PM
Re: Negative pinion

Originally posted by ema100c
Hey Eric, did I see your truck at Buffalo Wild Wings one night last week? there were two silver L's there, I was driving a yellow S281 Saleen.

also, a guy that works there (BW3's) owns an L, red I think.

just curious.

later,
chris

Old 11-24-2002 | 11:50 PM
|
Originally posted by 01Lightning
I have heard that neg pinion angles can cause a roar or vibration when slowing to a stop... a sound that I am getting but I cannot tell if it is caused by my 2" Belltech shackles or by the front tires scalloping around the edges. It is DEFINATELY not the rotors. I have also heard that this roar is even worse in the Harleys due to the 2-peice drive shaft.

ICULOKN or anyone else, have you hear of this problem? Someone said that the pinion angle can be put back to stock (after the shackles) by reversing the factory shim.

Sammy
On the street anything over Negative 4 deg can make noise when you let off. Its hard on U-joints but great for launches. I would stay 2-3 deg negative for normal street use. I have alittle more in mine, but I dont drive it much other than playing.

When I had 2in shackels and 3 deg shims I got alittle noise but with only shackels you dont get that much change.....

Quick Reply: Cheap mod to help with Traction & Wheel Hop