Lightning

Kenne Bell Dyno #s

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a good comparo:

With the stock Eaton, I ran a 10lb lower and 1.5lb upper for a total of 16.5psi over 3.5k rpm and almost 18psi under 3.5k rpm. Best time 12.04. Boost decreases w/ RPM due to overspinning blower, but it does yield a better ET due to massive low end torque.

With the KB I ran a 6lb lower and a 3.25" upper for a total of 18psi. This yielded a 11.4.

You are only getting started at 18psi w/ the Kenne Bell. You are finished at 18psi with the Eaton.

Old 11-25-2002, 03:29 PM
So when are we able to start purchasing these things?! I want one and a new built motor from Johnny or Sal

Old 11-25-2002, 03:55 PM
I have no doubts as to the fact that all the new blowers will be good for more boost. What I've wanted to know all along is how well they work at "low" boost

Coldie

Old 11-25-2002, 04:03 PM
well the KB seems nice, but I do think the Works is putting out more boost pulley for pulley the way sal described it?

Not trying to flame the KB, just figuring out what blower is going to be the best option for me. Sal was getting like 20psi with just a 2lb lower and 3.25 upper on his works? When the 201 comes out thats supposed to be 29PSI with stock size pulleys!!!!! to big for me now, but maybe someday

Old 11-25-2002, 06:38 PM
kenne Bell boost

I put out 425 HP at 13 lbs of boost on 91 octane. These KBs flat work. KB was worth 47 HP at 13 lbs. I believe Smoknjoe would have made even more power if he took his 22" Bling Blings off. Smoknjoe and I have exactly the same mods and both trucks were run on Danny Swansons dyno in Torrance Ca. Skip

Old 11-25-2002, 06:47 PM
Thumbs up

Great numbers fellas!

Old 11-25-2002, 07:10 PM
um..

Just a quick one: Boost isn't "better" if its from a stock pulley or a dinner plate. Since all of these superchargers have internal gearing, comparing what size pulleys are run between the different makers really doesn't mean anything.

Now granted there is a maximum pulley size, but it's pretty damn huge.

Remember: I put out 427hp at just 10lbs of boost.

Does anyone know the bottom end of effeciency for the Works/KB units?

Coldie

Old 11-25-2002, 07:28 PM
internal gearing

I don't believe that Kenne Bell or Eatons have any step up gearing like a Vortech. They are one to one with one side driving off the other side. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Skip

Old 11-25-2002, 08:38 PM
not sure...

not sure, but it still doesn't matter since the actual number you really care about is CFM. (which can't really be easily measured). but is affected by blower speed/size/effeciency.

Coldie

Old 11-25-2002, 10:03 PM
coldie

You are 100 percent correct! Skip

Old 11-26-2002, 12:10 AM
Just to let you guys know. the KB from what we here @ JLP have seen should make 30# of boost with my current setup. that should be even more for those who don't have extensive exhaust & Head work.We were doing some testing with different pulley combinations @ the track. we saw 26# with a 10.0" lower and a 2.75 upper. on a engine with *stock* heads that should be around 29#..(really who actually will need more)we still have a 2.5 upper to try. we ran a 10.80@126 with a bad 60 ft.(1.6) no doubt with a 1.49 60 ft. like we have done before we believe it would be a 10.60 or a high 5!with the 2.5 we should run a 10.2-10.4.. were very impressed with the results of the new KB..Come Spring we hope to run some even more impressive times with the KB as the *only* power adder.We are currently working on a new engine set-up with yes the 2 valve heads! we have heard the WFC5 is going to have some serious Fast Trucks.We here @ JLP hope to be 1 of them.along with our customers! JL

Old 11-26-2002, 03:43 AM
Skip, you are wrong. Lysholms (like the Works 140) and Lysholm copies (like the Autorotor 134 sold by KB) are not geared at 1:1 rotor-to-rotor, they are 3:5.

Second, kxdoa a.k.a. smoknjoe, made more power than Skip because for some reason Swanson did a full half-point leaner AFR tune for him. Swanson gives everyone else, including Skip, 11.2:1 AFR. But kxdoa/smoknjoe got 11.7. Dale's Works 112 wasnt calibrated at 11.7:1.

With the same pulley size as the KB, the Works 140 is worth about 2.5 psi more boost due to its higher efficiency and better pumping. The rear inlet Works also produces cooler discharge temps than the KB. It also has a broader operating range than a top inlet.

Coldie asked about the efficiency of the Works vs the KB. The KB is over 10% down on efficiency over a rear inlet such as the Works 140. Even Jim Bell admitted it (one of the few things he did admit) in the MM&FF article.

The KB also takes a hit in efficiency because it has to use a stock inlet pipe (still waiting for the KB "Big Mouth" inlet casting). Works already has a larger-than-stock inlet casting.

The KB is not rated to 20,000 rpm yet the 10" crank/2.75" blower pulley combo JL mentions will put it to almost 21,000 rpm at only 5700 engine rpm. Does that void the warranty? That is a recipe for disaster, and then here's where that wonderful KB service that everyone has heard about comes into play. And the 2.5" pulley combo JL mentions will put the blower at almost 23,000 rpm at 5700, and if you're shifting at 6,000, the blower will be going 24,000 rpm. Does that void the warranty?

For a comparison, the Works 140 makes the same boost pressure, and COOLER discharge temps, and it does it with approx 1,000 rpm less blower speed.

What happened to the 522 hp on bone stock motor stuff that KB promised in the article?

Old 11-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Riddlergt

Actually you are completely wrong! My a/f #s were leaner than 11.2. At the same pulley size and boost levels we made almost exactly the same hp. I made 1 or 2 more hp (big deal). Smkinjoe made his higher hp with the next size smaller pulley. His truck was fueled with 100 octane so he could see what more boost would do. His a/fs had nothing to do with his power as mine is very close to his. As for Jim Bells claims of 522 hp, I believe any truck with his blower and a massive amount of boost could easily achieve more power than that. Smkinjoe and I both run stock lower pulleys and fairly large top pulleys. Actually I think Smkinjoes truck is a little stronger than mine because he made his runs with 22" wheels which are about 3" plus taller and about double the weight of stock Lightning wheels and tires. What does Dales truck have to do with this? His truck runs good and makes great power with a different setup. I could care less about some so called efficiency numbers. The Kenne Bell just flat works. It makes more power than Jim claims and looks completely stock. Using the stock upper is a good thing because everything fits just like a stocker. Nothing hits, it just fits! Besides who said that you have to leave the upper intake stock? I saw a Works 140 and it made my decision to buy the Kenne Bell much easier. I like the fact that the intake on the Kenne Bell is on the top and not on the side . I believe both blowers will make great power and it will be a chocolate and vanilla argument. You can make all the statements you want about my truck. Good or bad, I don't care but please get the facts correct. Have a great Thanksgiving. Skip

Old 11-26-2002, 09:47 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
I thought the magazine claimed 622hp.

Anyhow, 4 hours for install to get 50hp at comparative boost psi. is pretty good (13 to 13).

Don't our stock pulley sizes make the kenne bell produce 13 psi anyway?

Say, you wouldn't happen to have your dyno sheets would you? I've got a dyno reader, and I plan to dyno my truck this weekend, if the man with the dyno up here plans to run it this weekend.

email: tundra_svt@yahoo.com

Old 11-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Pulley size

With the stock sized Lightning upper pulley you would make about 16 pounds of boost. A stocker is about 2.87". I run a 3.25" upper and make around 13 pounds of boost. If you have done it before, you could probably change the blower in a little over an hour. Nothing to move or change, just remove stocker and replace with KB. Piece of cake. Skip

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Dyno #s