Lightning

Rear anti-sway bar sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002 | 10:40 AM
|
Rear anti-sway bar sticking?

I remember seeing a post where someone cautioned to check Hotchkis anti-sway bars for freezing up after installation. Well, I checked mine this weekend and found significant friction. The bar would move, but would stay in place (i.e., would not drop) from horizontal even with the end links removed.

Is this normal? My thinking is that the bar should move freely.

If I need to lube it, what is the recommended grease? Hotckkis ships the bars with some clear lube. Would regular grease in a pump work okay?

Thanks,

Old 11-26-2002 | 10:50 AM
I'm using a Molydisulfide wheel bearing/general grease on my Hotchkis bars and they have moved well for about a year.

Old 11-26-2002 | 12:25 PM
Tim,

My sway bar does not swing "freely" either. It does move however with light pressure. It doesn't bother me. Do you realize the amount of force being transfered through the springs, axle, and so on. I'm sure a calculation could be made estimating the forces but it's not worth the time. My point is if it moves with a slight push, it sure as heck it gonna move when the weight of a 5000 lb truck is pushing on it.

Old 11-26-2002 | 01:11 PM
|
Originally posted by Onelfastlride
Tim,

My sway bar does not swing "freely" either. It does move however with light pressure. It doesn't bother me. Do you realize the amount of force being transfered through the springs, axle, and so on. I'm sure a calculation could be made estimating the forces but it's not worth the time. My point is if it moves with a slight push, it sure as heck it gonna move when the weight of a 5000 lb truck is pushing on it.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I am a perfectionist, so I just want to establish what the optimum condition is. Even the QA1's set to "0" have a lot more resistance than the anti-sway bar as it is. Just wondering. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2002 | 02:44 PM
My Hotchkis front bar was frozen enough that it would support my weight without moving. I have made it part of my routine maintenance to clean and lube both bars. I have been using Energy Suspension teflon grease. Special stuff made for urethane. Tried regular grease but it didn't last long. About every other oil change I do it.

Old 11-26-2002 | 02:48 PM
|
Originally posted by Silver-Bolt
My Hotchkis front bar was frozen enough that it would support my weight without moving. I have made it part of my routine maintenance to clean and lube both bars. I have been using Energy Suspension teflon grease. Special stuff made for urethane. Tried regular grease but it didn't last long. About every other oil change I do it.
Th Energy grease is what came with the bars. They have only been on about five months. Seems like it doesn't hold up too well either.

Do you remove the bars each time or can the Energy grease be bought in tubes for a grease gun. I mean, those Zerk fittings are on the mounts and all . . .

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-26-2002 | 03:02 PM
I have not found the grease in a tube. I have been removing the bars. In order for the zerks to work properly I had to drill a hole through the urethane into where the bar rides. I then cut a groove around the inside of the bushing starting and finishing at the new hole. This created a path for the grease to reach around the bar. This may be standard now. Mine are a very early set (first ones). The fronts I still need to drill and tap zerks for those. I will do those when I come up with a good grease in a tube.

Old 11-26-2002 | 03:06 PM
Tim,

A quick phone call and 5 minutes later................

Hotchkis Tech. says they recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic Chassis Lube. According to them it can be had in tubes to fit in a grease gun.

Hope this helps...........

Different Subject.......Tim

I am running the SoCal "dog-bones" also in the rear with my 2" Hotchkis Leafs, 1" Drop Shackle. Mine are adjusted as small as they go. A quick check with a cheap angle finder and they sit just about (5) degrees from 90. Not 90 but closer then the stock shorter Hotchkis dog bones. The SoCals are 6" vs 7" Hotchkis when measured center to center.

Old 11-26-2002 | 06:37 PM
|
Tim,

A quick phone call and 5 minutes later................

Hotchkis Tech. says they recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic Chassis Lube. According to them it can be had in tubes to fit in a grease gun.

Hope this helps...........

Different Subject.......Tim

I am running the SoCal "dog-bones" also in the rear with my 2" Hotchkis Leafs, 1" Drop Shackle. Mine are adjusted as small as they go. A quick check with a cheap angle finder and they sit just about (5) degrees from 90. Not 90 but closer then the stock shorter Hotchkis dog bones. The SoCals are 6" vs 7" Hotchkis when measured center to center.

Why didn't I think of that? thanks for the great info. Pep Boys, here I come.

Old 11-26-2002 | 06:50 PM

Works for me.

Old 11-26-2002 | 08:09 PM
Mobil One grease sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-26-2002 | 10:07 PM
|

Looks to be about $3/tube.

Quick Reply: Rear anti-sway bar sticking?