Lightning

Question For Jim@JDM

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question For Jim@JDM

I am expecting my Lightning here in the next 6 weeks. I plan on starting to work on go-fast parts almost ASAP.

I have been doing some preliminary research, trying to decide how much risk I am going to take...(and if I do something to blow it up...I will pay for my play. Actually I will probably use that as my excuse to beef up the engine).

Here goes my amatuer question.....try not to laugh. I noticed in another thread you mentioned a "very aggressive" tune.
By this do you mean as in race gas type aggressive? And if I get one side aggressive like this and accidently have it on while useing 93 octane, will this cause me to detonate?

Thank You...

Rocks

Old 11-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Any race-gas tuned problem with have very high odds of detonating on pump gas. Be diligent.

Daniel

Old 11-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Rocks,

There is always a risk when modding. The only thing you can do is try to keep it to a minimum. First thing you want to do when you get your truck is give it a good 'ole woopin with no mods. You might of heard stories of people breaking rods with no mods; well it's true. There has been a lot of spark plugs blowing out of the heads with no mods.

Second thing I would do is to start off mild until you have better knowledge of your vehicle and what your truck likes. (No two trucks are the same.) In a chip the A/F can be different from truck to truck, the timing will always be pretty much the same. If we command 15 degrees of timing we usually get it. But Air/Fuel can be different from truck to truck. When you first put the chip in, the computer will slowely adapt to the program so never go out and beat it up the minute after you put it in. When getting a chip never say most aggressive. Always start out mild and work your way up as your learn about your truck and it's Air/Fuel ratio and timing needs. Other than that I would change my plugs every 10 thousand miles, and change the fuel filter with every oil change (that is very important).

As for pullies it might be a little costly this way, but I would get the interchangeable style so you can change your boost level yourself.

Help this helps,

Jim@JDM

Old 11-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info Jim.
So aggressive does not necessarily imply 100 octane gas?

The interchangeable pulley is something I like for many reasons. That would be the one I'm after.

And I figured the new speed of the Lightning would feel pretty fast after driving my long bed supercab for the past 6 years...LOL.
About the time the "new" wears off the engine should be ready for the mods to begin. I'm thinking about 3 weeks...LOL.

Rocks

Old 11-26-2002, 03:55 PM
i always tend to think of it this way...if i blow something up, i think of that as an operatunity to put a performance part in its place

Quick Reply: Question For Jim@JDM