Lightning

Stupid ?, about changing Fuel Filter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002 | 03:13 PM
|
Stupid ?, about changing Fuel Filter.

ok, i here alot of you guys recommend changing fuel fiters often, and i dont have much experience with this job, i like the do it yourself jobs, but only with directions, because im not too good at figuring it out for myself. so my ? is where is the fuel filter located (i could probably figure it out, but too lazy to check), and is there a certain filter you guys recommend... and what do i do about the install, i think it's just take off the houses on both ends, bracket up the new one, plug back in???? or am i wrong, let me know, i hear change every oil change, and i havent changed yet, and i have 6200 miles. thanks guys.

Old 11-26-2002 | 03:17 PM
I would change mine mine about every third oil change or about every 10K miles. Every oil change is too often in my opinion.

Old 11-26-2002 | 03:18 PM
Along the inside of the drivers side frame rail, about as far back as the exhaust exit on the passenger side. Motorcraft works fine for filters, both oil and fuel.

Changing frequency depends on your local fuel quality, mine down here was fine after 12K miles, others have black gunk after 6K or less.

Old 11-26-2002 | 03:26 PM
Use the same Motorcraft filter that your truck comes with. Some believe that you should take your fuel cap off and let the truck sit over night. Me, I did the change about an hour after driving and the fuel spilage was not that bad. You'll need a fuel disconnect tool set (which is about $4 at autozone). It has 4 or 5 plastic tools in it that slip on the filter where it connects to the fuel line. Lift up on the clamps that secure the fuel line to the filter to release the fuel line. You then push the tool into the fuel line and remove the fuel line once it's released. Do this for each side and be prepared to have some spillage. Just have pleanty of rags handy and a bucket to put the filter inside. Now, just put the new filter in the same way the old one came out and your in business. Do a search and you will find pleanty of info on this. Oh yeah, the filter is located on the driver side along the frame, just under the door.

Old 11-26-2002 | 03:27 PM
|
so what do i have to do when changing, if i remember correctly, there are two lines that are on it, one on each end, i take those off, and replace new one, and put them back on. right? is there anything i need to do before i pull off the lines?

edit: nevermind, guy above me answered all the ?'s thanks.

Last edited by cobra97snake; 11-26-2002 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2002 | 03:33 PM
i change mine every 10k mikes..

read this thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=71442

here is the tool i currently use.. it's a lot better than the disc type tool:

check the "howto" section at http://www.svtlightnings.com/ for more stuff!

Quick Reply: Stupid ?, about changing Fuel Filter.