Lightning

VB's compared (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002 | 09:31 PM
|
VB's compared (long post)

I am the person that mentioned a comparison of the LFP & FT VB's. First I want to say Mark and Gregg, BOTH, in my opinion are great guys. I have bought things from Mark that have gone beyond my expectations, and Gregg has always been there for many L owners. This started over an issue regarding possible duplication of procedures and changes made to these units. I can honestly say these are 2 different units. Without getting into a VERY LONG description.... The LFP unit is a LARGE improvement over the stock unit, it shifts nice and crisp and works pretty much as Mark says it will. I was a little concerned regarding some aluminum fillings we found inside the unit. (we took both completely apart) These were stuck on "red" assembly grease. Other than that the unit seemed fine. (I recommend a good cleaning to those who buy one, unless this was a one time thing) The FT unit was also a change over stock.. A LARGE CHANGE! this unit can as another owner once posted "give you whiplash" on the 1-2 shift when you jump on it. Its not as harsh as it sounds but a real "seat of the pants" shift.But you can also drive in traffic and hardly feel it at all. In summary the LFP unit is 2 steps over stock ,,then the FT unit is 3 steps over stock.I have both of these units at my shop right now.. correction 1 unit is in my Lightning.. The FT unit. This is in no way a shot at Marks VB it performs as as he stated, I just feel, from what I saw, Gregg does some things to his VB that no-one else at this point can and this affects and protects my tranny the way I want it to. I WILL use Marks VB in one of my customers L that wants the performance it supplies.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

JON

Old 12-10-2002 | 09:35 PM
Good post!

The one from LFP sounds like a VB with a level 10 kit. Or at least along those line!! Still a great product!! But as you said, for all out racing its FACTORY TECH'S!!!

Old 12-10-2002 | 09:51 PM
|
one thing I missed

COST...

LFP $189.00
FT $ 225.00

At least when I bought them, I may be incorrect. If so please correct me. THANKS

Old 12-10-2002 | 09:52 PM
Great information! Thanks for finding it out for us. Looks like we now have two great kits available as a choice for everyone to make!

Way to go Gregg and Mark

Old 12-11-2002 | 09:26 PM
Cool VB comparison

LFP Stage 1 VB
First of all let me start by saying our Stage 1 is in no way a Ford valve body with a " level 10 kit ". Our Stage 1's start with a bare Ford VB. Not just a spring and a valve upgrade. The difference is by design only. Some of our parts going in are custom made and are not available in the parts bin or even at one of the major transmission part houses.
The first run of LFP Stage 1 VB's. where slightly more conservative while we got a feel and some feedback from the community at large. Remember what is real hard to one may be to soft to another. Many have contacted me to inform me it is just right and that it rocks.
We have 10 units left from the first run and will begin a run of both stage1 and introduce a stage 2. The Stage 2 will have some more work done to it and give the community an even harder shift.
Our Performance Transmission Techs have decades of experience and have the resources that are second to none in the industry today.
Those interested in the LFP Stage 2 will be able to order by request starting tomorrow. Price will be the same as the LFP Stage 1.
We are presently offering either Stage1 or Stage 2 with a Ford deep sump transmission pan with drain plug and proper filter for $225.00 plus shipping.

Just note (until part is added to website) in your order which you are wanting.
Thanks for your support.

Mark/LFP
www.lightningforceperformance.com

Last edited by Lightninforce; 12-11-2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2002 | 08:48 PM
Re: VB comparison

Originally posted by Lightninforce
LFP Stage 1 VB
Some of our parts going in are custom made and are not available in the parts bin or even at one of the major transmission part houses.
Which ones? I have one of your valve bodies on my workbench right now, and I don't see a single part I can't get from transtar.

it's

a F8UZ-7G422-BA Accumulator, Ford shelf part, and the wrong one for a Lightning I I might add. The one I have is number 532 built on June 16 of this year.

E9TZ-7G394-LA springs in the upper circuit of the B, C and D bores, not only a Ford shelf part, but one that has absolutely no function in a valve body built with a casting made after 1996 when the relief cut was deleted from the A bore, would work on a Gen1 but I doubt you even know what it does...

A Sonnax AX4N line mod valve, Transtar

Sonnax 310 valves, 3 each, with shims (calibrated with the factory springs for a 5.4L Super Duty/Expedition/E Series Van) and retainer re-enforcers, Transtar

RED assembly grease, NAPA or reputable Shell Stations, by the way, a lot of transmission mechanics used colored assembly grease to isolate leaks when they build a box and air check it, but mostly it's blue or green, red is something I've not seen much of, very inovative. For the Stage 2, go with the green. I got dibs on blue, it's what I've used for years and I can prove it.

And very original instructions, delete the pictures, substitute my ginving the part number for a filter from AutoZone wiht a plug for one from you, delete the logo, byline, copyright notice and pictures, and other than that, WORD FOR WORD the same as mine. That is something you can't get over the counter I guess.

I also had aluminum contamination in the A bore from where the casting was not heated before installing the line mod valve, which is more important than you prolly knew. I saved the grease with the aluminum in it, just in case.

Hurry up and get in before "Da Lock"

G

Last edited by Factory_Tech; 12-12-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2002 | 08:52 PM
Banned
LMFAO

Old 12-12-2002 | 08:57 PM
Knowledge is power.

And I want a lot of power in my truck.

Old 12-12-2002 | 09:15 PM
Our Performance Transmission Techs have decades of experience and have the resources that are second to none in the industry today.
I bet Ford and at least one person here would argue this.

With my limited transmission experience I fail to see the coarlation between how hard a transmission shifts and the benefit to performance and longevity. Typically a firm shift is a by product of strength and performance improvements. If all someone wants is a hard shift you can save yourself some money and buy a big line mod and a stiff spring. Probably less than $25 worth of parts. If you want to prolong the life of your transmission and improve the performance spend the money for a well engineered valve body. Absolutely no excuse for aluminum to be in a valvebody. Couldn't be in a worse place. My .02

Old 12-12-2002 | 09:37 PM

Do ya think it could hurt something in there???

And on the resources, we have some pretty neat stuff where I work, if you wanted to build a transmission anyway.

G

Old 12-12-2002 | 10:05 PM
Greg, I think everyone on this board knows who did 100% of the R&D work to bring us the perfect VB.

Old 12-12-2002 | 10:34 PM
Levell 10 right??

Old 12-12-2002 | 10:49 PM

Yep, I owe it all to Pat!

G

Old 12-12-2002 | 11:11 PM
Cool LFP Stage 1

:o

Do you serve cheese and crackers with your whine?

Mark/LFP
www.lightningforceperformance.com

Last edited by Lightninforce; 12-12-2002 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2002 | 11:25 PM

Quick Reply: VB's compared (long post)