Lightning

Buying second car need advice???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying second car need advice???

I know this should go in the general Discussion,but I value your guys opinion.Im currently looking at a Cadillac STS.Every option you can think of.Test drove and liked it.Buy the way did I mention 300hp 01w20,000 miles Blkw/blk chrome wheels.Anythoughts?Thanks

Old 12-12-2002, 01:25 AM
I would take it as long as the price was good, the car seemed good, and IF I did a carfax it came back alright. They are nice cars, very comfortable and sorta quick for a 4 door, and luxary to boot. U cant go wrong!!

Old 12-12-2002, 01:54 AM
Carfax was done.Came back ok.30,000 is the price w/ a 100,000 mile certified warrenty.Thanks....

Old 12-12-2002, 01:56 AM
I honestly wouldn't get it. Very poor fit and finish for its class, torque steer (300 HP front wheel drive), terrible resale value; well below wholesale blue book.
If you want a V8 in that price range I woud get a Lexus GS 430 or a BMW 540i. This is just my opinion of course and my wisdom that I have accumulated from experience and prior car sales. Just trying to help a fellow Lightning brother out

Old 12-12-2002, 01:58 AM
You might pay a little more for the cars I mentioned, but the that applies to the old saying "you pay for what you get"

Old 12-12-2002, 02:07 AM
I see what you are saying,how ever if you see a 00/01 540 BMW in that price range let me know cause I cant find any.I say a 540 cause its gotta at least have some power.I know some poeple with 528s etc and they couldnt out run a kia..LOL.And the lexus doesnt impress me much.And as far as resale your right.But that STS is over$ 50,000 new.But it rides nice pretty fast for what it is.But thanks for the opinions keep them comming...

Old 12-12-2002, 02:49 AM
On one hand they do depreciate fairly quick.

On the other hand the Northstar V8 is one of if not the most advanced powerplant available in an affordable car.

Cadillac is a top notch product with a top notch warranty. Shop for the best price as that one seems a little high. This is just my opinion but I am right.

Old 12-12-2002, 03:03 AM
"Sorry to diagree with you Wendy. If you read JD power and associates survey for initial quality through the years, Cadillac always ranks well bellow all the other luxury brands. Unfortunately they fall apart a lot faster compared to their German and Japanese counterparts.

Do me a favor and sit in a Cadillac seville and shut the door while sitting inside. Then immediately walk over to a Lexus dealer and do the same on a comparable model and you will feel a difference. The Cad. won't have that tight "bank vault seal" . Check for the quality in the interior pieces, the gaps between the body panels, NVH (noise, vibration etc..)
Nitrous, if you still want a good quality car without spending a lot of money, check the new body style Infiniti Q45. 340 horses RWD. SInce the 03's are out you might be able to find one that is 1 year old at really good price because they also don't hold their value, but the quality and reliability will be above a Cadillac. Hope this helps

Old 12-12-2002, 03:12 AM
Well we may disagree on the Caddy BUT I must say that the Infinity Q45 is a real piece. If you can get one in your price range you will certainly be happy with it. My mother had one several years ago (a '91 model). She was well pleased and got major use out it and sold it to her brother who still has it and its damn near in mint condition with a google of miles on it. Good call Brasil.

Old 12-12-2002, 10:39 AM
I have to agree with James. The fact the Caddy has already depreciated away $20,000 of it's original value speaks volumes. All the other brands/models mentioned fair much better in this area. I also agree on the torque steer issue, the Cadillac is famous for poor steering under WOT.

My wife and I have owned three Allante's over the years, the worst being the last one, which sported the Northstar power plant. That thing was a pain the butt to control under heavy acceleration.

Old 12-12-2002, 10:50 AM
I won't argue better or worse here, but let me make a point. Yes, it is true that the Caddy takes a big hit the first couple of years. Most cars/trucks do, and some worse than others.
The plus side is, the next couple of years are much better. There was a time when I made it a point to find clean two year old cars or trucks because of this fact.
A two year old vehicle will still finance almost as good as a new one, and you can still get a decent deal on extended warranty, if so inclined.
You may have to pay a point or two more if you have to finance, but it will still be much cheaper than taking the first two years depreciation...

Old 12-12-2002, 11:02 AM
Oh Come on folks!!

Its a Caddy!!! Get it!!!
Are you buying it to sell it again or are you buying it cause you like it??
I have rode in alot of caddy's..I always thought they were a quiet ride.

I dunno...

Its a Caddy!!! Get it!!!!

Old 12-12-2002, 11:16 AM
I wouldnt waste $30k on a used caddy unless it was a deville DTS .Even then dont thnk your depreciation is over.Even the remainder of the price tag on the caddy is gonna smoke the depreciation of your Lightning.Plan on it being worth about 16k in 3 more years when your 30k L new is still worth close to 20k

Old 12-12-2002, 11:37 AM
My dad just traded in his S500 for a new DTS caddy in the pearl white and I just love the way that car looks. So far not one problem with the caddy and if you could have seen the problems with the benz you would have ***** your pants. Acutally won a lemon law suit with the benz and was on channel 5 news for it too cause mercedes was trying to screw him over. He's always had good luck with them and there great cars too. My aunts got a 98 STS also and I like that car too. Nice and smooth driving and its fast too for a front wheeler!

Old 12-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Come on guys. It's a Caddy.......in Florida!!
Here is a pic of last Florida Caddy Owners Association. Do you think they use ALL 300 hp?

Last edited by Redneck Ferrari; 12-12-2002 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying second car need advice???