Adding OEM Camera to OEM Nav??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding OEM Camera to OEM Nav??

Does anyone know the process/parts involved with adding the OEM back-up Camera to the OEM Nav System? It is a 2009 Ford F-150. Thanks!

I would like to do it without an aftermarket adapter(e.g. Nav-TV) I know it must be possible....

Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know if this will mwork on an 09, but it does work with the 04-08 style factory nav.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/mu...ctory-nav.html

Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
THANKS 05RED, but I am looking to do it without any aftermarket parts. I believe it is plug+program+play, but i wanted to be sure before i ordered it. I am also not sure which harnesses it would require.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I have done quite a bit of research on this but nobody has gotten any info on integrating the camera into the trucks that have nav but no rear camera. First call I got from the dealer I couldn't believe they would have the expensive new radio system but no rear camera. Guess that's only in the Platinum package or something.

I have done four 2009s in the last week and a half. I replace the rear view mirror with a new mirror that has a 4.2" monitor built into it and is much larger than what is offered in the Ford vehicles. All my customers like the fact that they are looking up at the rear view mirror to backup anyways instead of looking at the dash. The microphone for the Sync system is built into the top of the OEM mirror. At first I freaked out and thought "oh man, now I'm stuck with some expensive mirrors!" Turns out there is an external microphone available for the Sync that allows us to relocate the Mic and then replace the mirror. This also fixes the problems with bad microphone reception that customers complain to the dealers about.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
I think the 09's come factory with the camera signal going through the rear view mirror and not the NAVI.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
***update***

For all those wondering. It IS possible to run the factory back-up camera through the factory nav screen. We have just finished this project at our shop!!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Care to share how its done?

Last edited by KCAutosound; 07-24-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Not really.

ok, J/K......

You obviously need to start by purchasing the OEM Emblem Camera. You will also need to purchase part#9L3Z*13A409*CB, this is the rear taillight/license plate light/camera harness.

It is completely plug and play and the only parts that need to come off of the truck are the spare tire and taillights. Once the camera and the harness are installed(~45 minutes in total) you need to go to the dreaded dealer....

Before we went to the dealer, we checked the camera for power/ground and we also pulled out the factory nav system to be sure that the camera wires wire in fact in the harness to the camera. They were. (they are brown and brown/yellow and are the two center pins in the 12 pin harness connected to the MONITOR) We then ran a simple circuit test to make sure we had a complete circuit, which we did.

Then off to the Dealer. I checked the part #'s on a vehicle with the nav and a camera and a vehicle without the camera and the part #'s were the same. This meant that the only difference was in fact the programming. I called a bunch of dealers who all claimed they could program it.

Dealer # 1
We arrived and explained what we needed done again, and they said sure no problem. They took the truck and came back an hour later and said that they had no idea how to access any programming on the nav unit.

Dealer #2
Same as above.

At this point we were more than frustrated. I knew this had to be a simple programming issue and couldnt believe they couldnt figure it out...

Dealer #3
We arrived there this morning and went through the whole speech with them. They assured us that they could do it. they brought their computer out, hooked up to the truck and went through the system. About 20 minutes into it, they said, SORRY we cant access it. I was on the verge of rage at this point. I asked the guy, what would you do if I brought this vehicle in under warranty and you had to program a replacement nav?

He said "We'd go on the computer and research the factory 'as-built data' for the truck and upload the settings. I then said, cant we go on the computer and get the 'as-built' settings from a truck with the nav and camera and upload those? to which he replied "No way. That would never work" Long story short, they wouldnt even try to do it. I spoke with the sales manager(for whom we were actually doing the job) and he said hed get us access to the computer. Long story slightly shorter, it worked. We downloaded the as-built data from one truck and uploaded it to the one we added the camera to.

It took less than 15 minutes for MY installer, with the help of a factory IDS scantool. He went into the PMI programming and reprogrammed the ACM module with the new data.

I hope this helps everyone. If a dealer says they cannot do it, assure them they can.

Last edited by elite motoring; 07-24-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by elite motoring
We downloaded the as-built data from one truck and uploaded it to the one we added the camera to.

It took less than 15 minutes for MY installer, with the help of a factory IDS scantool. He went into the PMI programming and reprogrammed the ACM module with the new data.

Completely what I had suspected. Very much similar to what needs to be done with the previous model truck in order to put a OEM nav radio in the dash of a truck that wasn't equipped. So basically they can connect the computer to a say "PLATINUM" truck and copy the data then flash the truck I'm working on with that and it wakes up the camera function?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Pretty much.

You just need to make sure that the vehicle programming that you are putting on has the SAME options. I.E. sync/sony/steering wheel controls/etc...

In fact they dont even need the truck with the camera on site to download. They can access the 'as-built' data from their Oasis program, and download it based on vin#.

Last edited by elite motoring; 07-24-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by elite motoring
Pretty much.

You just need to make sure that the vehicle programming that you are putting on has the SAME options. I.E. sync/sony/steering wheel controls/etc...

In fact they dont even need the truck with the camera on site to download. They can access the 'as-built' data from their Oasis program, and download it based on vin#.

Well that's cool. I'm kinda torn if I want to give this info to them...lol I'm doing very well just replacing the mirror and adding a camera. Might cut into my profits or they will figure they can do it themselves if I let them in on the secret...lol

Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Replacing the factory mirror also does away with the compass censor doesn't it?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Elite,

Do you know if this is possible for the 2005 model truck with the factory navigation?

Thanks,

Jed

Old 08-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick question before I embark on this project of adding the OEM camera to my 2009 F-150 Lariat w/ Sony Nav radio, how does it plug into the back of the radio? Thanks!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I installed the Factory Camera to my 2009 F150 Lariet using the 9L3Z*13A409*CB wiring harness, took it to a local dealer and had them flash the truck with the settings from a truck with backup camera. Now all I get is a blank screen, the dealer's technician says that the camera is bad, but I replaced it with another camera and still only get a blank screen. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Adding OEM Camera to OEM Nav??