2010 Ford Ranger: Pickup Adds New, Standard Safety Technologies to Best Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 Ford Ranger: Pickup Adds New, Standard Safety Technologies to Best Fuel Economy

2010 FORD RANGER: PICKUP ADDS NEW, STANDARD SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES TO UNSURPASSED FUEL ECONOMY

DEARBORN, Feb. 6, 2009 – The 2010 Ford Ranger comes to market this summer by adding unique standard safety technologies, including Ford’s AdvanceTrac® with RSC® – the world’s most sophisticated electronic stability control system that helps prevent skidding and rollovers – and combination side air bags.

Industry-exclusive AdvanceTrac with RSC goes a step beyond stability control systems found on competitive models with a gyroscopic roll sensor that determines both the vehicle’s body roll angle and roll rate.

If it detects the vehicle is about to roll, the system automatically applies additional countermeasures – such as reducing engine power 15 percent and/or applying brakes to one or more wheels – to enhance vehicle rollover resistance.

The new Ranger’s head-and-chest combination side air bags provide enhanced head and torso protection in certain side impacts. The side air bag system is designed to cushion the head, minimizing lateral head injuries in case of collision, in addition to acting as a barrier between the occupant and the side of the vehicle,

“The 2010 Ranger’s Roll Stability Control and combination side air bag technologies will help occupants stay out of harm’s way,” said Steve Kozak, chief engineer of safety systems, Ford Motor Company. “The Ranger has been America’s most fuel-efficient pickup, and now it features a combination of safety features not offered in any other small pickup.”

In addition, Ranger also provides high levels of safety and security with Ford’s Personal Safety System®, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system, all included as standard equipment on all models.

Also standard are four-wheel anti-lock brakes, driver- and front-passenger air bags, safety belts with front pretensioners for outboard seating positions and side-intrusion door beams. Ford’s front-passenger sensing system helps ensure air bags are not deployed on the passenger side when small children are detected. Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) child-seat mounts are provided in the front-passenger seat on all models.

Further adding value to the Ranger is its class-leading fuel economy and low cost of ownership. With EPA-estimated fuel economy at 21 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway for the 2.3-liter I-4 engine, Ranger offers unsurpassed fuel economy for pickups. Plus its 7,500-mile service intervals for routine maintenance, such as oil changes, help Ranger historically rank among the lowest cost of ownership among all compact pickups studied by Edmunds.com.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I love my Ranger -- it sure would have been nice if Ford hadn't allowed this great little vehicle to languish for so many years with nary an upgrade.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I love my Ranger -- it sure would have been nice if Ford hadn't allowed this great little vehicle to languish for so many years with nary an upgrade.
I hear you...I hear you...

Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Now all we really need for these new Rangers is a strong engine, and good after-market support for performance mods & lift kits. There is no reason why Toyota has a better 1/4 ton truck than the American car makers. I hate to say it, but in the 1/4 ton class, I'd pick a TRD Tacoma over anything that Detroit has on the market. I remember the good old days when you could get a V6 Ranger w/ a stick shift, bench seats, and lift it.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Further adding value to the Ranger is its class-leading fuel economy and low cost of ownership. With EPA-estimated fuel economy at 21 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway for the 2.3-liter I-4 engine, Ranger offers unsurpassed fuel economy for pickups. Plus its 7,500-mile service intervals for routine maintenance, such as oil changes, help Ranger historically rank among the lowest cost of ownership among all compact pickups studied by Edmunds.com.
Thats just great! Whats it get with a 4.0L V-6 and 4X4?
I'm thinking the same as a full size F-150

Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUROS81
Thats just great! Whats it get with a 4.0L V-6 and 4X4?
I'm thinking the same as a full size F-150
Yep -- mileage on the V6 is pretty weak. The way I see it, the only way it makes sense to purchase the current Ranger is with the 4-banger. Otherwise, the mileage difference between it and an F-150 with a V8 is so small it doesn't make any sense to go the Ranger route.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
The Ranger is a lighter truck with a shorter wheelbase. There is a different weight to HP/TRQ ratio. I guess there's always the 4 door Ranger / Explorer Sport Trac. Doesn't that truck come with a V8?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
The Ranger is a lighter truck with a shorter wheelbase. There is a different weight to HP/TRQ ratio. I guess there's always the 4 door Ranger / Explorer Sport Trac. Doesn't that truck come with a V8?
That sport trac isn't really a truck to me.It doesn't have enough bed at all. I think ford needs to quit making the sport trac and start with a crew cab ranger with and put the 4.6 v8 in it as an option.It would sell way more than the explorer sport trac.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 AM
.....and work with the after-market for product support. If I don't want a full sized truck, but DO want a quarter ton that I can lift, tweak, and customize; I'm stuck with Toyota's Tacoma as the only option.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by aridranger03
That sport trac isn't really a truck to me.It doesn't have enough bed at all. I think ford needs to quit making the sport trac and start with a crew cab ranger with and put the 4.6 v8 in it as an option.It would sell way more than the explorer sport trac.
Wow, I would buy that, sounds like a racing truck.. a ranger with a 4.6.. SHh..YEah! Less weight, Same Horsepower as a F 150.. I would buy that.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford Ranger: Pickup Adds New, Standard Safety Technologies to Best Fuel Economy