Questions about adding a Snow Plow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003 | 10:34 AM
|
Question Questions about adding a Snow Plow...

I just had a Curtis Snow Plow installed on my 2001 F-150 SuperCab. I am now having second thoughts about it. Although I am sure the truck can handle it as far as power goes, I have the 5.4, I am concerned about the front end and electrical aspects.

The dealer assured me it would be fine and that they do install them on F-150's. It seems to work fine and I had Timbrens installed on the front end so the suspension wouldn't bottom out but I just can help but wonder if I did the right thing.

I went with the light duty plow designed for 1/2 ton trucks. They had a lighter duty poly plow that was about 250lbs. lighter but it was the same price and I figured I'd be stupid to go with a cheaper constructed plow for the same price as the steel one which weighs in at 695lbs.

I'm not using it for commercial plowing. Just a few residential drive ways. I'm not even sure I can get my money back. So I'm looking for advice from anyone else out there who has added a plow to thier truck. How dose it preform? Any issues with the electrical drain? Problems with the torsion bars? Any over heating of the engine? When my plow balde is on, the temp on the overhead console reads a hell of a lot hotter that it is outside.

Any help would be apperciated. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2003 | 02:22 PM
My boss has a 2000 that he put a Fisher 7.5 foot full hight not the small one.I have used it and to my surprize it has posed no problems.You are only drawing amperage when lifting or angling and it has not overheated as of yet.If you go on the highway keep the blade angled to one side to let some air in the grill.If you are not plowing commercially I would not worry about it at all.

Old 02-25-2003 | 11:28 AM
I have a Meyers 6.5 on my 99 Ranger with the 4.0 V6 and it handles the plow without any problems at all and I use it for commerical plowing. So you shouldn't have any problems with yours. Of course, my plow is a money maker this year..

Old 03-04-2003 | 12:46 AM
Thumbs up

I had a western 7 1/2 foot pro plow on my 89 F250. It was real heavy. With the plow up there was only about 1/2 inch to the bumpstops. It worked excellent. I had the truck overheat on the highway once but usually I could lower the blade enough to get some airflow. It sure was hard on my old weak battery. When plowing at low rpms it would shut off stereo and heater when i lifted it. A new Battery solved that.

Old 03-04-2003 | 09:21 PM
The operator must disable the airbags when the plow is in use, no?

Old 03-05-2003 | 09:01 PM
No need to disconnect the airbags...

Quick Reply: Questions about adding a Snow Plow...