McGard Spare Lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003 | 02:40 PM
|
McGard Spare Lock

Does anyone have the McGard spare tire lock? Discount Tires Co. sold me one a couple years back when I bought the American Racing rims.

Long story short, I called McGard because I couldn't figure out the installation instructions and their techs told me to push the whole lock assembly (pretty much a 6inch piece of metal with a hook at one end) into the tube. Needless to say, that's probably not how it's supposed to works LOL. Now I can take any spare rod and lower the rim, no lock security whatsoever.

How is it supposed to be installed anyway? Any suggestions on how to remove it so I can reinstall it correctly?

Old 11-10-2003 | 06:27 PM
Not sure about the McGard lock, but the OEM Ford lock I got off Ebay works in pretty much the same way you described...push the lock into the tube and turn it with the adaptor that fits on the end of the spare rod...or at least I think that's how it goes... I'll have to go out in the garage and try it to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that was all there was to it...

Erik

Old 11-13-2003 | 06:58 PM
I have the Ford spare tire lock. The 6-inch metal piece with hook is the key. This part is kept in your truck. It's puzzle is unique to the smaller portion that is shoved down the tube and does stay installed there. This installed piece is what keeps others from cranking your spare down. You're lucky that your key has not fallen out. Mine has a small wire spring that would allow your crank to be shoved down the hole, attach, and remove your key.

Last edited by max mitchell; 11-13-2003 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: McGard Spare Lock