airbox mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-1999 | 01:04 PM
|
Post airbox mod

been reading some of the strings and saw some ref. to a mod on the air sensor(map?) Something about cutting out the center or port and polish.Any info would help, cause i ain't gotta clue.

------------------
Brad 2000f150 Lariat Supercab Flareside 4X4 Black 5.4 engine Leather Captains 3.55 Limited-slip and all the goodies, just ordered,traded my 99 f250 superduty Lariat V-10 Toy:91 Softtail Classic,lowered and chromed

Old 11-24-1999 | 01:59 PM
Mustang owners love doing this. You cut out the center post of the sencer while leaving the sensor itself alone. polish it up for more air flow and thats it. Though I have heard some people have problems with the truck after this.. I dont know didnt try it yet. I cant see why there are any problems with it since you are adding more air..

Old 11-24-1999 | 03:21 PM
Talking

Hey
I have done this mod on my truck and the results weren't that dramatic but I did notice an increase in mid to top end power. I 'll be honest I was scared at first but hey after the first cut, too late now. But all in all I am happy about it. I recently had a friend of mine do the same thing with the same results and plus the mod is basically free. I have a picture of mine at my website http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/jackhel/mods.html , it also includes the link to where I got the instructions. Hope this helps.

98 Nascar Edition

BED LINER, K&N FILTER, CUSTOM AIR BOX W/SILENCER TUBE REMOVED, SHIFT KIT, SUPERCHIP, DYNOMAX EXHAUST, GUTTED MAF, 4.10 REAR END GEARS, XTRA BRITE HALOGEN LITES. IN THE FUTURE SUPERCHARGER!!!!!!!!!

homepage http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/jackhel/index.html

Old 11-24-1999 | 03:40 PM
|
Hey Jackhel, I saw the pics, but it doesn,t look like much of a change. Looks like the center post is mostly cut out. Whats in the part that is cut out? Also heard some people were havin problems with their check engine light with this mod. Whats up with that ...Thanks

------------------
Brad 2000f150 Lariat Supercab Flareside 4X4 Black 5.4 engine Leather Captains 3.55 Limited-slip and all the goodies, just ordered,traded my 99 f250 superduty Lariat V-10. Wife drives a 98 Navigator 4X4 ......... Toy: 91 Heritage Softail Classic/lowered and chromed

[This message has been edited by cabraco (edited 11-24-1999).]

Old 11-24-1999 | 05:25 PM
The center post contains nothing, it is just solid aluminum. It may not look like much but you have to think about why would you pay $300-$400 for an aftermarket MAF that is only a few millimeters wider than stock. Just look how much more air will flow thru and less obstructions. As far as the Check Engine Light mine has never came on and neither has my friends. I have driven it over 15000 miles with it like that and I have never had any problems, likewise with my friend. As long as you disconnect the battery before you do any mods to you should run into any problems. But you can check out the website I got the idea to do it http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S.../mod-MAF.html? ,hopes this helps.

98 Nascar Edition

BED LINER, K&N FILTER, CUSTOM AIR BOX W/SILENCER TUBE REMOVED, SHIFT KIT, SUPERCHIP, DYNOMAX EXHAUST, GUTTED MAF, 4.10 REAR END GEARS, XTRA BRITE HALOGEN LITES. IN THE FUTURE SUPERCHARGER!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-1999 | 05:29 PM
I am sorry about the misspellings, I meant as long as you disconnect the battery you shouldn't have any problems.

98 Nascar Edition

Old 11-24-1999 | 06:11 PM
|
Jackhel, seems to make sense, gettin more air thru. I looked at the page you linked. Pretty good. One other question though. If you do the air box mod,take out the silencer,k&n filter,etc, and all this extra air is gettin thru, Does the computer compensate to inject more gas too. Seems maybe it would get to lean(and hot)if your not also increasing the gas to.

------------------
Brad 2000f150 Lariat Supercab Flareside 4X4 Black 5.4 engine Leather Captains 3.55 Limited-slip and all the goodies, just ordered,traded my 99 f250 superduty Lariat V-10. Wife drives a 98 Navigator 4X4 ......... Toy: 91 Heritage Softail Classic/lowered and chromed

Old 11-24-1999 | 06:29 PM
To be truthful I really do not know that. It would seem that it would though. I have looked at my plugs and they seem to look normal. I have not notice any pinging or knocking from my engine unless I get some cheap gas. I can tell you from my personal experience, I have noticed a dramastic improvement in throttle response and power from all the air intake mods combined I have done. Also I love the sound it makes under full throttle.

98 Nascar Edition

Old 11-24-1999 | 06:40 PM
|
Jackhel, I been readin and talkin on that string about power tube 5.4 Triton, and that setup seems to combine the airaid, the airbox mod, and gettin your outside cold air . Take a look and see what youthink. One of the messages has the site of the manufacturer or distibutor......Thanks. And lets hear from others about this gas/lean issue.

------------------

[This message has been edited by cabraco (edited 11-24-1999).]

Quick Reply: airbox mod