Watch out for holes worn into K&N filter!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2000 | 11:03 PM
|
Red face Watch out for holes worn into K&N filter!!

I just installed an K&N Generation II filter kit. (basically the same as an Airaid) I found out you can rub a hole into the filter if it's not set up properly. I had to get a longer bolt and add about 8 small washers for the support bracket. The washers are used to make the bracket sit up higher. The filter will rub on the wiring harness which will create a hole. I fould if you loosen the O ring at the smaller silicone hose the adjustments work much better. If you have the red or a pinkish colored silicone hose you have the updated parts with your kit. If you have the black you can contact K&N and they should send you the new and improved. They are stiffer and support the filter better. Hope this helps. I went with the K&N over the Airaid because I was told by the parts store the Airaid will not pass Visual smog. I DON'T KNOW THIS FOR A FACT!!

Old 04-05-2000 | 01:01 AM
Cool

I had the same problem with my K&N. I had ordered a new filter from a reseller. But after two weeks I had not received it. I cancelled the ordered and called K&N directly. They were nice enough to tell me that the older black adapters didn't hold the filter up well. They replaced the two adapter and filter free of charge.

Old 04-05-2000 | 01:32 PM
|
You want to still be carefull with the new adapters. (silicone hoses)I still found I had to add washers and a longer bolt to hold the filter up off the wire harness. The bolt I'm refering to is the small bolt the holds the half round crome holder to the black support arm. I put the washers between the black arm and the crome holder. It just lifts the intire intake up enough to keep the filter from rubbing. It would be so much easier to draw a picture. Let me know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Watch out for holes worn into K&N filter!!