best CAI system

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006 | 11:22 AM
|
best CAI system

I know this has been discussed a lot and I know a few will say use the search button but I want to know what is the best CAI system for a 5.8 351 Windsor. Its also a 1995. I have though K&N for a while but I saw the fram boost 2 and was wondering if anyone has this. Also I have dual exhaust so will that kill the idea of an CAI system?

Old 07-07-2006 | 11:55 AM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Anything with an open element under the hood is NOT a Cold Air Intake, they are Hot Air Intakes (heat shields do nothing). As for the open element systems, they are all pretty much the same, and you could not tell the difference between any of them (yeah, you will get people here arguing that one is rated for 1 or 2 HP more than the others, but come on people).

If you want a COLD air intake, you need to go with something like Volant, Iceman or Outlaw.

Your dual exhaust will work well with an improved intake.

Old 07-07-2006 | 12:01 PM
|
Originally Posted by Jeeps&Fords
Anything with an open element under the hood is NOT a Cold Air Intake, they are Hot Air Intakes (heat shields do nothing). As for the open element systems, they are all pretty much the same, and you could not tell the difference between any of them (yeah, you will get people here arguing that one is rated for 1 or 2 HP more than the others, but come on people).

If you want a COLD air intake, you need to go with something like Volant, Iceman or Outlaw.

Your dual exhaust will work well with an improved intake.
Will it effect the sound any? I would like it to be a little louder but not much. How much will one run me? And between Volant,Iceman, or Outlaw there is no true differece so I could go with the cheap one and still get the same result as the one that costs the most?

Old 07-09-2006 | 08:34 PM
|
Does anyone else know? Would a cheap brand of a CAI make a difference than the higher cost CAI?

Old 07-09-2006 | 09:32 PM
I think you get what you pay for.

I went with the AEM brute force simply because I wanted a dry filter.
The truck runs great.

As for the cheapies, remember there is probably no R&D at all, just knock off substandard parts.

If it were me, I'd stick with the stock intake until you could afford the real thing.

The hot/cold air intake thing is a very hotly debated topic on both sides.

You can find statistics supporting both points of view, I guess its who you want to believe.

Quick Reply: best CAI system