Radar Detector Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2000 | 08:48 PM
|
Question Radar Detector Questions...

Since I know alot of you have radar detectors, and there are a few police officers on this board, I thought I would ask some questions.
1)The radar detector only notifies you AFTER the police have "hit" someone, so for instance, if you are alone on a road, by the time it beeps, you've already been hit, right?
2)On radar detectors that bounce the signal off your car, what appears on the radar gun?
3)What is the typical range on these detectors, how much time does it give you to slow down?
4) Finally, what is the best model/brand?
Thanks so much,
Chris

------------------
Ford F-150 XL
Black/Grey 2-tone
Custom Window Tint
Standard Cab/Long Bed w/Bedliner
Custom Graphics Package
Auto 3.55 gears
V6 (yeah, I know it's no V-8, but at least it's a FORD, right?)
Pioneer P-7000 Head Unit, (2) 12" Pioneer Subs, 800w Pioneer Amp, Pioneer 6x8's

Old 06-22-2000 | 12:23 AM
FordMX, I'll try to help you with some of these questions, though you must keep in mind that I'm no police officer and the answers are based on my experiences.

1) I have noticed that my radar detector picks up on "residual" radar signals that may be reflected off of other vehicles, as well as the weaker signals that are present when you are far away from the source (the radar gun). If a police officer really wants to get you for speeding, the officer will do it in a way that no residual signals will alert you of their presence i.e. at the base of a hill on the opposite side of your approach with the radar gun aiming up and nothing to reflect the signal back down. Also, if you are the only one on the road, it's hard not to think that you are speeding if the radar gun says so, unless you can pick up on some of that residual signal that I've been talking about and can adjust your speed accordingly before getting into range.

2) My understanding of the way these things work is that the radar gun sends out these little pulses. As the pulses are reflected back to the radar gun, the gun itself is measuring the difference in time it takes for the return signals to get back to the gun and calculates your speed. If I am correct, it seems that it would be similar in concept to sonar in submarines or bats.

3) My detector has quite a range on it, as it has warned me of "impending danger" from as far away as 2 to 3 miles. This also depends on the terrain, the amount of other traffic on the road, and the officer's position (refer to hill scenario in question one).

Don't know for sure, but I would guess something like Valentine One or similar detector. Very pricey, but may be well worth the money. I've used Cobra, Uniden, and Bel, with Bel being my brand of choice for the two most recent purchases. I think, based on personal experiences, that Bel is the best in it's price bracket.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2000 | 12:24 AM
There is hope!!!

Radar comes in many forms, a great detector can pick up radar from many miles off. Instant on radar is the type you are thinking about. Instant on radar will get you without warning, HOWEVER, if the officer is using instant on to measure the speed of those before you, a dectector is still useful.

There are many radar traps that use radar "on" all the time. such as the highway patrol just driving along. Also some local police in my area use the allways on flavor.

I use a Valentine One radar dectector, It is by far the best in every way.

1. It does not false alarm
2. It is very sensitive
3. It is super easy to understand the alert
4. It accuratly depicts radar location (front, side, rear)
5. It has paid for itself many times
6. It is very well made

I have two Valentine One's and a Bel 840i, The Bel is useless in the city due to false alarms and it even goes off "full alert" a second before I get a cell phone call. That is so annoying!!!! Did I say it is useless??? I would have thrown it out the window if it were not littering!!!!

The Bel has tweety beepy sounds that are not easy to understand and tell apart instantly. So I found myself slamming the brakes needlessly. The Bel also beeps continuously when overheated in sunlight.

The Valentine One has a pure sounding beep for X band "rarely used" and BRAPPS for K band which is popular. The new KA band gets a BRAP-BRAP. Than means business, you had better slow down.

The Valentine one also shows where the radar is. VERY valuable in determining how much of a threat the radar alert is. Could also save your butt if a cop is gaining on you from behind with radar.

Good luck

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 06-22-2000 | 01:21 AM
Exclamation

There will be a few factors that will work for or against you in this situation.
1)Varies. You can be behind me and If i have my front radar on you still may receive the reflection coming back to me. A good detector should pick up the "residual".
If there are others around you and you are driving into the radar, the radar picks up the fastest(suposed to) and you are still being hit by radar that goes around the speeder. Your #'s are ignored if they are less(slower).
2)Your speed.
3)I've used radar guns that have a "range"(highway) of about 2-3miles, of course terrian, traffic, etc.
4)Ida know.

The thing is, the radar unit, regardless of the band, or brand is all ultimately determined by the user. I could sit all night all leave it on, or I can wait w/ it off and get you when you're in range(town).

Also, I can get you w/o radar. When an officer works radar they are supposed to be certified and that means simply that you know how to test the unit and guess the suspect car w/in 5 mph.
So I could hide, gauge your speed, see your not w/in 'my' ticketing range and wait until i see someone that is deserving of my attention, then hit the radar to verify, then lite em' up.
When I worked radar w/ a friend we would usually leave the gun on. WE figured, if you have a detector, you see us visibly AND your detector goes off AND you still speed...Then you have just asked me out.
He had an unwritten rule of 9 miles over(no school zones), unless your just driving like crap.
Many ST trooper leave theirs off untill they are ready. They have their own style.

------------------
Dr.(wife says i'm spoiled) Jones.
5.4L(whatpowerawaitsthee)
AUTO,SC4x4 anniversary gift. PSD coming for christmas!
djones01@elp.rr.com

Old 06-22-2000 | 01:34 PM
A little off the subject but could power to a radar detector be hooked up to the digital compass/Temp in the overhead console? How does The overhead console get its power? I just dont like a power cord coming from the detector to the standard power plug.
Thanks

------------------
Y2K F-150 XLT SC Flareside 5.4L Bright Red Single CD
Took delivery 29 May 2000--First Mods will be Superchip,Airaid,LineX-then alot of other stuff.

Old 06-22-2000 | 04:33 PM
I have a Valentine One; I hooked it straight to the ignition. I'd assume compass/temp power would come on/off at the same time.

By the way, I agree with everything said about the V1 in this thread; it's paid its' way several times over.

Old 06-22-2000 | 06:03 PM
I95
Thumbs up

Get the Valentine One..Get the Valentine One!! It is alittle pricey, but, will pay for itself, over and over and over again.

All other radar detectors are crap and a waste of your money compared to the V1.

------------------
99 F150 SC,5.4L,4x4 ORP,TTP,Gibson Single Side Cat-Back Exhaust System,Airaid,Duraliner Bedliner,Lund Bug Deflector Shield, SmittyBilt Outland Sport Bumper Guard in SS,A.R.E. Cab High Bed Cap,Valentine Radar Detector,ICOM 2M/70CM Ham Radio,R.F.Concepts Linear Amplifier,2watts in,170 watts out,Diamond SG Series Dual Band Antenna.

Trending Topics

Old 06-22-2000 | 10:13 PM
Question

Does the Valentine one also detect laser signals? I presently have a K40 and hate it. It's a $250 piece of crap! It falses, and just plain goes off for no reason.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

Old 06-22-2000 | 11:44 PM
The V1 does detect laser signals and will get those far off too. However laser is instant on. You cannot pick up a laser signal that is not there. my V1 did pick up a mototcycle cop at 1 mile with laser. He was picking off cars in front of me. I was impressed with the range of detection, however he probably could have clocked me at that range too (it was a clear shot). I got lucky that he did not aim it directly at me until I slowed a little.

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 06-23-2000 | 10:14 AM
Lightbulb

Yes, you can hook up the radar detector to the compass/temp power lead. The power will come on with the ignition. You will need to splice into two wires. I can't remember the color code (been 6 months) but a multimeter will show the +12v lead. Note that the detector can't be seen from the outside if hidden behind the windshield tint. That is until the cop steps up to the door with the ticket book. :-)
Fritz

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x2 ExtCab Styleside 4.6 Auto in Island Blue with Dark Graphite interior.
Superchip, K&N with Airbox Mod, PowerAid, LeBra soft tonneau, LineX, Ford Bugshield,
2in lowering shackles, Hellwig Swaybar, Monroe Reflex Shocks, 100w Head and Fog lights,
Clifford Alarm, Blaupunkt CD, JBL comp speakers, Punch subwoofers, ECM Jammer Pod.

Old 06-29-2000 | 02:30 PM
I'm going to try hooking it up ot the compass whenever I can bring myself to start taking my new truck apart. I have a fobia about it. Just can't get pass it.

Old 07-04-2000 | 08:55 PM
The way radar works whether civilian or military is you can pick up signals from it farther than the sender(police) can recieve a return.
For example: the police can get a car at a maximum of 1 mile(just an example figure), you can probably pick up their signal at 1.5 to 2 miles. Of course this does not take into account terrain features such as hills, trees or curves nor does it take into account heavy traffic which should dissipate some of the signal.
Generally what I do is if I start picking up signals above 2( on a scale of 4) I start slowing down. I generally speed no more than 10mph above so by the time I get close I've slowed down a couple of miles an hour which can make a difference.
Of course they can still defeat you early warning system, radar detector. By using instant on radar, lasar--which is difficult to detect early, pacing you, experienced guess, or clocking you with an airplane.
Still they are nice to have to get that little extra warning or to let you know they are around.
I also agree that the Valentine One is the best. I can't afford to spend that much money so I've got a cheap Cobra. It works all right, although a few too many false alarms in the X band, always in the same areas too.

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster w/dual tailpipes, Bosch+4 plugs,Ford 9mm wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars. Rear seat lift 4".
Kenwood 4011 stereo, USAcoustics 2150 amp, Profile electronic 3 way crossover, 2 10" IDQ DVC's.

FUTURE STEREO MODS:
Memphis components in front, Pioneer 3ways in rear, amp for the components, and a cd changer.

FUTURE PERFORMANCE MODS:
4.10 gears, Edlebrock shocks, supercharger, Airaid, power pulleys.

OTHER FUTURE MODS:
Ram Air hood w/functional ram air, suspension lift, 16.5" polished wheels, 35" tires, and sunroof.

Old 07-20-2000 | 07:41 PM
Wink

Just a thought....I've been a trooper for over 20 years and a radar instructor for 15, most of what everyone has already said is pretty accurate, bottom line...if I want to write a speeding ticket it doesn't matter what you have, I can usually defeat it with a little creativity. And don't forget some radar units also have a stopwatch feature that measures time between two spots and trasmits NO signal at all. Just use some common sense, don't drive stupid and let's buckle up now!

------------------
2000 Sport Red Flareside Reg. Cab 4.6 auto, 6 disc CD, bedliner, Mods; Roush front bumper cover, Lightning ground effects, LeBra Ultra-lift tonneau cover, tinted windows, Flowmaster 70 series, 2 inch rear drop, captains chairs w/expy console

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Questions...