Rear defroster

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006 | 09:03 PM
Window tint will be fine on rear defrost. I had tint placed over the back window in a Chevy that I had. Use defrost a great deal and never had any problems so I would not worry about it to much.

Old 01-18-2007 | 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by AAlmeter
Harbor Frieght had these on sale for $5 each:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94592

I might give them a shot and see if I can't hook them up someplace safe and out of the way to blast on the rear window.

With any luck, they'll last more than a week.

Honestly went it comes to buying any electrical thing(s) for the house or my truck i buy the best quality that i can afford, it sounds ****y but im not risking my life by getting burned or losing my property that i worked so hard for just to say a few bucks. I dont mess with electrical things that dont seem reliable and that does not seem reliable enough to trust especially when it goes in the back where you can't watch it at all times.

Old 11-12-2007 | 01:57 PM
I've got the Rear Defroster button on the dash, but don't think it works... I have a slider in the back, and while snooping around, found a small piece of glass behind the back seat... I'm thinking that my defroster glass was replaced with a slider after breaking. Does this sound logical? Does the stock defroster glass have the lines in it? My slider does not...

Old 11-12-2007 | 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by MoRic
I've got the Rear Defroster button on the dash, but don't think it works... I have a slider in the back, and while snooping around, found a small piece of glass behind the back seat... I'm thinking that my defroster glass was replaced with a slider after breaking. Does this sound logical? Does the stock defroster glass have the lines in it? My slider does not...
I've never seen defroster glass in a pickup. That's not to say it's not available, but if it is, it's a new one for me.

Please post a pic of the 'rear defrost' button... I'm curious to see it.

Old 11-17-2007 | 07:43 AM
defrost

Sounds like your truck had a defrost window and someone replaced it with a slider. You will see lines on a defrost window, sometime they are very faint. The slider will not have a defroster. Just about every other silverado has rear defroster, so im sure they come in F150s also. I just dont recall seeing one, though. King Ranch and Lariate owners chime in....Do you have rear defrosters?

Old 11-19-2007 | 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by wlgoble
Sounds like your truck had a defrost window and someone replaced it with a slider. You will see lines on a defrost window, sometime they are very faint. The slider will not have a defroster. Just about every other silverado has rear defroster, so im sure they come in F150s also. I just dont recall seeing one, though. King Ranch and Lariate owners chime in....Do you have rear defrosters?
I agree with your thought... I small found glass pieces behind the passenger seat, and there is some sort of Aftermarket sticker on the window that I hadn't noticed before. I'm sure that replacing it with a slider was cheaper than a defrost window from Ford.

Next Question: should I disconnect the Rear Defrost button on the dash? Don't want someone to turn it on and have loose cables feeding current to nowhere. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2007 | 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by wlgoble
Yes I have one. I have the FX2 (XLT :o But hey, I got the OEM 20's...). I know Ford makes a defrosted Slider.. It just might be for the Power Sliding only though...

I agree with your thought... I small found glass pieces behind the passenger seat, and there is some sort of Aftermarket sticker on the window that I hadn't noticed before. I'm sure that replacing it with a slider was cheaper than a defrost window from Ford.

Next Question: should I disconnect the Rear Defrost button on the dash? Don't want someone to turn it on and have loose cables feeding current to nowhere. Thanks.
Yea, prolly wouldnt hurt to take it out... Odds are nothing will ever happen. But then theres always that .001% chance.

Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
I'm glad my truck does not have one, i hate the look of the rear defrost and would hate for my tint to get melted ( if it would ) but thats just my opinion, not too sure if there is any type of thing like this available.
Are you serious? Tint Melting??? Aint gonna happen unless you have the Tim, the Toolman, Taylor Defroster. Today, Al we have the Binford 8000 car defroster. It make take you 3 minutes but it takes me 1 second. All you need is 195V...

But on a serious note, using the OEM defrosters nothing will happen. They are so low powered and low heat. The elements get abt 85 - 100 degrees. Its hotter in the car in the summer.

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 11-19-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear defroster