Airforce One Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2000 | 06:11 PM
|
Thumbs up Airforce One Review

For those of you considering a K&N FIPK or Airaid system, you might want to also consider the lesser known Airforce One, available from SUV Specialties in Redondo Beach, CA (www.suvspecialties.com). This unit is similar to the others in concept, except the intake tube is fabricated from aircraft quality stainless steel. I'm a sucker for a nice piece of stainless! The filter itself appears to be identical to the K&N except the forward end of the filter unit is finished with a stainless steel cover instead of plastic. The folks at SUV Specialties told me that this filter is manufactured by S&B, which is apparently a company started by a few engineers who left K&N.

I recently purchased the Airforce One and installed it into my SuperCrew equipped with the 5.4 L Triton engine. Given all that stainless steel, this unit is somewhat more costly than the K&N and Airaid at $259.00. However, I think it's worth it! The unit comes very nicely packaged and all the hardware is top quality. Installation was a breeze. All existing hoses, the temperature sensor, and the mass flow sensor housing fit perfectly. And boy, does it look good when you open the hood!! I've posted three pictures of the installation at:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...1824&a=7536149

Elsewhere on this message board, I recall reading that many of you have found that some versions of the K&N FIPK unit have an inadequate mounting system, allowing the filter to rub on the wiring harnesses. Not so with the Airforce One. It uses a simple, heavy duty, chromed steel bracket that mounts below the intake tube with a single bolt. The other end of the bracket has a slot for mounting onto one of the existing accessory bolts on the engine's front face. I found it very easy to adjust this bracket so that the filter unit is precisely positioned in the available space and firmly suspended about 2 inches above the wiring harnesses. Of course there's not a lot of room since the filter is just about as big as the available horizontal space. The base of the filter is resting slightly against one of the radiator system hoses, but I'm sure if I tweak it some more, I can clear that too.

As far as performance, I expect that all of these units perform approximately the same, since they're basically tubes with filters attached and they all use essentially the same filter. Unfortunately, I installed mine after only using two tanks of gas in my new truck, so it's difficult to assess any real mileage improvement. I considered delaying the installation until I had some real mileage data, but there's no way I could hold off installing my shiny new toy! It certainly feels and sounds better when punching the throttle.

Finally, for all of you fellow Californians, this unit has been submitted for CARB approval and is apparently on the same approval schedule as the K&N FIPK, expected December 2000. I've been told that there are no plans for CARB approval for the Airaid. The friendly folks at SUV Specialties said that they would provide CARB stickers to Airforce One owners when available.

If you're looking for something special as an alternative to the K&N FIPK or Airaid, I highly recommend the Airforce One!

Autoloadr

------------------
2001 SuperCrew XLT 4x2, 5.4 L, Bright Red/Medium Graphite, Power Captain's Chairs, 3.55 Limited Slip, Trailer Tow Pkg, Cab Steps, Bed Extender, 6-Disc CD, Keyless Remote, Line-X Sprayed-On Bedliner, Lund Trident Bug Deflector, AirForce One Intake System, 20mm Autoloading Rotary Cannon (just kidding . . . ), Ordered 3/29/00, Serialized 5/11/00, Build Date 6/5/00, Delivered 6/27/00

Planned Mods: Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover, on order

Old 08-05-2000 | 10:22 PM
Thumbs up

Man, that sure looks a lot better than the others.. I like..

------------------
2001 Supercrew, white/silver Lariat, gray leather capt. chairs, 5.4L, Expedition console, wood dash, cobra hood, billet grill, Ford chrome tube steps, Line-X liner, Magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust w/stainless tips, k/n filter, http://hometown.aol.com/washyourcar/supercrew.html

Old 08-07-2000 | 04:35 PM
Great pictures!!! What camera did you use? I am going to use the AirforceOne after seeing your setup.

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew Lariet, 4WD, Bright Red, Tan Leather, all options except the engine heater and overhead screen. Rancho 4 Inch Lift Kit with RS9000's Shocks, Eagle Chrome Style 149's 16x8 with BFG A/T KO's 285- 75-16's, Tinted Windows

Future Mods: 315-75-16's tires and 16x10 wheels, Line-X Bedliner, Innovation Industries Sport Wing Tonneau cover.

Old 08-07-2000 | 07:33 PM
|
Cool

Hi Richo,

Thanks. I shot those pictures with a Kodak DC260, a very nice digital camera. I was in a rush and had to shoot the pictures while my SuperCrew was parked against a fence, so it was hard to get good viewing angles. You can see the shadow of the fence.

You won't be disappointed if you go with Airforce One!

Autoloadr

------------------
2001 SuperCrew XLT 4x2, 5.4 L, Bright Red/Medium Graphite, Power Captain's Chairs, 3.55 Limited Slip, Trailer Tow Pkg, Cab Steps, Bed Extender, 6-Disc CD, Keyless Remote, Line-X Sprayed-On Bedliner, Lund Trident Bug Deflector, AirForce One Intake System, 20mm Autoloading Rotary Cannon (just kidding . . . ), Ordered 3/29/00, Serialized 5/11/00, Build Date 6/5/00, Delivered 6/27/00

Planned Mods: Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover, on order

Quick Reply: Airforce One Review