K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000 | 04:37 PM
|
Thumbs down K&N Air Filter

I installed a K&N Air Filter in my Ford F150 and the next day my engine stalled for no apparent reason. I brought it to the Ford dealership and I was told the oil on the air filter is affecting the computer sensors. The service techncian told me this is a common problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Old 08-31-2000 | 04:40 PM
This is a common installation program,
covered just recently in another topic, I believe too. Cleaning the oil off the filter/sensor should get rid of the problem.

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars
heavy duty shocks

[This message has been edited by Spartan (edited 08-31-2000).]

Old 08-31-2000 | 05:05 PM
|
Hi Spartan,
Does this mean the problem will eventually go away. What is you attachment pertaining to?

Old 08-31-2000 | 06:48 PM
In rare situations, the K&N filter is over oiled at the factory. Sometimes after cleaning, owners put too much oil on it and the same thing happens. I have used two so far (one installed now) without a single problem. Try Spartan's idea!

Best of luck!!

I found this link: https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/002320.html

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, LEV, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil and filter, Build date 7/00

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 08-31-2000).]

Old 09-05-2000 | 12:45 AM
I just installed the Airaid FIPK with the K&N filter. The first time I started the motor and test drove it around the block it ran great and no problems. But the second time I started the motor the C.E. light came on and since I knew about the problem about the oil getting on the MAF sensor I cleaned it and reset the computer. I have gone through this process more than 3 times but every second time I start the motor the C.E. light comes on. I hope this will stop after a while. Nobody seems to know why only after the second start up the light comes on. I have driven 30+ miles on first start up with no light coming on. I'm getting tired or resetting computer.

------------------
F150IslandBoy
1997 F150 Lariat
SuperCab, Toreador Red w/ Gold, Styleside, 4.6L, A/T, A/C, 3.55 3800 Limited Slip, Class 3 Tow Package, Leather Captain Seats, Sliding Rear Window.
Modifications:
Airaid FIPK, Bugflector II, Viper 500ESP Alarm, Pendaliner Bedliner, Cobra Trapshooter 3 Radar Detector, CARR Tubular Nerf Bars, NFA 1400 Compact 55W=>85W Halogen O.E. Lights, Durango 255/70R16, Chrome eyelet tie downs, Smoked front lic. plate cover.

Old 09-05-2000 | 10:49 AM
This could be another problem, you might want to have the computer codes read to make sure it is the MAF that is failing.

------------------

The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau, Profile Windstream Side Deflectors and Lund X-Terminator Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter