e-fan or exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e-fan or exhaust?

Sigh. I've been asking a bunch of questions about e-fans. Getting great answers too, by the way.

However, there has been a secret debate going on in my mind - should I go for the fans or the exhaust first???

thus far I have an AF1 intake (w/homemade heat shield) and TP custom tunes on the Xcal2 for my 03 Exp, 4.6l.

I would like to help mpgs first, power second. I was thinking the fans would be a direct benefit through reduction of parasitic hp consumption. I am thinking the exhaust would increase air flow and some hp, but might help consume more fuel with better air flow in and out. But it would also compliment my AF1. Oye. What to do?

So if you all were doing this, (gulp - I hate to ask) which one would you do first? Consider also that this may be it for a long while

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and wisdom.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by waterman308
Sigh. I've been asking a bunch of questions about e-fans. Getting great answers too, by the way.

However, there has been a secret debate going on in my mind - should I go for the fans or the exhaust first???

thus far I have an AF1 intake (w/homemade heat shield) and TP custom tunes on the Xcal2 for my 03 Exp, 4.6l.

I would like to help mpgs first, power second. I was thinking the fans would be a direct benefit through reduction of parasitic hp consumption. I am thinking the exhaust would increase air flow and some hp, but might help consume more fuel with better air flow in and out. But it would also compliment my AF1. Oye. What to do?

So if you all were doing this, (gulp - I hate to ask) which one would you do first? Consider also that this may be it for a long while

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and wisdom.
Hi.

Jeez - tough one .

I think TP suggests Tuner/Intake/Exhaust (in that order). Then moving on to the other mods, such as fans.

This is I also think due in part to cost; an e-fan kit & cat-back exhaust are close in terms of price (depends on the actual systems of course - if you DIY, then e-fans are a no-brainer).

I think you'll get better results with e-fans, IMHO. For the reasons you stated. Exhaust will sound nice, and a good one (e.g Maggie) can provide some gains, but if it's efficiency you are after, fans = hands-down.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 05-15-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After installing E-Fans on my truck last year, the only MPG improvement I saw was on the highway. Even that wasn't by much.

In town it didn't seem to make much difference, and to be honest, any performance improvements were marginal at best.

I'd think a good exhaust upgrade would do you better. I've heard good things about Magnaflow. But what ever you go with, I suggest getting an entire CAT back system that is designed for your truck.

Good luck,
Doug

Old 05-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

On my Y2K, I installed the works; Xcal2, AF1, Maggie catback, e-fans and underdrive pullies. Best results, in order, were (for me): tuner ( max perf hi-octane tune), AF1, e-fans, exhaust, UDP.

This is talking perf gains, not mileage, though. The exhaust really only provided improved sound; I did however definitely notice the absence of that mechanical fan. Anything that reduces rotational inertia & parasitic load on the engine is a good thing, because it works at all throttle positions. An exhaust, at low loads/ part throttle isn't really a factor.

My real point however is - even if the e-fans & exhaust were a wash efficiency-wise, if you can fab up an e-fan system (without compromising reliability), it will be much less expensive than a quality catback.

Cheers
bubba

Quick Reply: e-fan or exhaust?