High Altitude -- High Load

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001 | 03:48 PM
|
Post High Altitude -- High Load

Folks -

I've got your typical 97 F-150 4x4 XLT SuperCab with the tow package. Has a 4.6L (281ci) and a 5spd manual tranny. I've also added some very-cool Bigfoot XT tires (love 'em in the muck)

Anyway, what *isn't* typical is where I live - Colorado Springs (6000+ feet above sea level). I'm also a boat owner, which is also a little wierd for Colorado. The worst is towing the boat over some of the "passes" around here, where I climb/crawl-up with a 5100lb boat in tow - we're talking 10-11000 feet above sea level!

Needless to say, I've got some performance issues I need to address.

First thing I did when I got the truck was bring it to the local muffler shop and had them install a custom "true dual" exhaust with Flow Masters.

Question: Did I screw up by not getting a Gibson (or?) cat-back? Seemed like true-dual would be better...but was wondering.
Sounds terrific.

I also dropped in a K&N filter element.

Other questions, and I'm looking for recommendations:

I'm thinking about a chip, pulleys, and an FIPK.

1. Will the chip improvement be MORE noticeable at altitude or less? Seems like lots of people buy these for automatics because of the different shift-points and stuff. Will the difference be noticeable with a 5spd manual? Now, I'm thinking SuperChip based on what I've read here, but wonder what else is out there (better or worse).

2. Will pulleys help? Any particular brand I should get? I.e., best vendor?

3. Am I wasting my money on a FIPK since I've already got a K&N drop-in element? Which is the best one - K&N GenII, Airaid, other?? (Note: I do get near water, and once ruined a Ranger because the intake sucked in a bunch of wet - So I want high and dry. :-)

I figure an engine is just an air pump and the more air, the better. However, I need to overcome Colorado's LACK of oxygen. :-)

Will all these things work in concert together? Please make recommendations -I hated dragging the boat up the Wolf Creek Pass at 20mph, 7mpg, WOT, 2nd gear, 5K rpms, with everyone behind me hating me!
Thanks,
Jeff

------------------
Jeff Cooper
'97 F-150 4x4 SuperCab 4.6L, 5spd
Westin Nerfs
Custom FlowMaster TruDual
K&N

Old 02-05-2001 | 11:42 AM
|
Question

Okay - I give up.

Where is my computer code? The truck is a '97 F-150 SuperCab 4x4, 4.6L, 5spd. I see a "Calibration Sticker" that says 6-47D, but I'm not sure that's it.

Is the code punched into the steel, or is it a sticker, or??

------------------
Jeff Cooper
Westin Nerfs
K&N

Old 02-05-2001 | 11:58 AM
|
BTW - Looks like there USED to be a sticker on the pass. side door frame...not there any more. :-(

------------------
Jeff Cooper
Westin Nerfs
K&N

Old 02-05-2001 | 06:46 PM
|
I think I found my computer code - does VIA3 sound right? Anyone have any used performance goodies to sell?

------------------
Jeff Cooper
Westin Nerfs
K&N

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:00 AM
Wink

I think you made a mistake by going with the "true" duals....you have probably lost a lot of bottom end and some mid range....way to much flow and not enough back pressure (let's not mention the increase in noise...YUK).

Take off your dual's and put on a Gibson "swept Side" Catback exhaust system on your beast...it will love you for it!

Velosity tube + Superchip + Gibson "swept side === GREAT GAINS!

Someone else will be along shortly...but I hope this helps you out!

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:03 AM
Here is something interesting I discovered about operating at altitude.

My buddy here at work wanted a blower for his 4-runner, but he got discouraged when he found out that he should upgrade his fuel pump, exhaust, intake, headers, brakes, etc to handle the extra power.

Turns out, adding the blower just brought his horsepower and torque up to the stock level that he would have at sea level (we are at about 5500 ft here. He didn't have to upgrade anything and the truck runs just fine.

Since you are towing a heavy load at altitude, consider a blower. It should give you what you want for a lot less trouble than a bunch of little add-ons. the true duals may have hurt your torque if they are a lot more free-flowing than stock.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:04 AM
oops, forgot the signature.

------------------
Howie's Effie: "Nadine"
Amazon Green 2000 F150 XLT 5.4L 4x4 ORP Supercab Flareside
Captains Chairs, Electronic Shift, Rear Slider, Keyless Entry, Cab Steps, 3.55 L/S
Mods: Superchip, FIPK, Flowmaster Force II, Rhino Liner, fogs + hibeams

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:16 AM
|
Ouch - blowers are big bucks. I think if I were to add a blower to something, it'd be my 99 Cobra. :-)

Sounds like maybe the true-dual wasn't a good idea. Bummer. I should've asked someone before I did it. I LOVE the sound though - it's not loud, but it burbles pretty nicely. :-)

Perhaps the 'puter (should I be able to find the 'puter or the 'puter CODE might adjust for the decreased back pressure?

------------------
Jeff Cooper
Westin Nerfs
K&N

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:37 AM
dang, theres people from Colorado on this board? . I've been trying ot get together people from Colorado area for a while, I figured I was the only one around . Jeff, I used to ahve a 98 with 4.6L and stick shift... dang I wish I could remember the computer code... It was right where you were describing where the sticker used to be, passenger door panel. By the way, I have true dual on my 2000 F-150 5.4L and I love it... lots of additional power and great rumbles.
By the way, I had a superchip in my 98... I didn't feel a remarkable difference in power after installing, a little bit maybe, but nothing like I expected to get.
I also love my FIPK, so far I have no complaints with it at all.

------------------

Matt Adams
Littleton, CO
1994 Ford Explorer, highly modified ( http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/ )
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab
5.4L Triton V8 Engine
Automatic Transmission
3" dual exhaust
Rhino lining
K&N Filtercharger Intake Performance Kit (FIPK)
JL Audio stealthbox with Phoenix gold amplifier, premium stereo
Genuine Steel brush guard with 4 PIAA 520's mounted on it
PIAA Airdam with PIAA 520 fog's and PIAA 510 superwhite driving lights in it.
off-road and tow packages
and much much more! (no page yet)
Soon to come:
Roll bar (double bar/single bar) with 3 sets of PIAA 80 XT's mounted on it (2 sets of driving, 1 set of fogs)
Storage box in the back
Pistol mod (convenient, easily accessible yet somewhat hidden access).

Old 02-06-2001 | 09:44 AM
Im with you cooperj, I live in Greeley, CO. Love this state and this altitude, although I wonder how much our rigs really like it. I would love to hear your exhaust system, if you could post them hear that would be super! Us coloradoans got to stick together, if your ever up this way give me a call, we can aye over each others ride!

Old 02-06-2001 | 10:29 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Talking

I know what your truck is going thru. My job sent me to Denver years ago and I was anxious to get out on the town. I missed the elevator to my room and thought no problem I'll jog up the stairs to the fourth floor.

Upon arriving I had new found respect for the Broncos and the Nuggets. I also determined that the Rockies are a bunch of cheaters.

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:13 AM
Talking

As long as you didn't get three inch pipes done,your probably okay. I've got true duals with 2 1/4" pipes. The other night I punched it from a stop(no one around) and the truck actually started to go sideways on me til I let off. I don't think I lost my low end . The Gibson square tips look cool under the bumper,too. I would get a chip and a K&N or Airaid fipk. I've heard bad things about towing and pullies,could cause overheating or loss of of battery charging
ability. You could always change rear gears,that would help a bunch. It's probably your best bet,short of supercharging it. I hated being in Albuquerque for that reason,it felt like I had a rag stuffed in the TB,nice city,though.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!
Had to take the picture out,it was way too out of date,,,,98

Old 02-06-2001 | 01:08 PM
|
Hmmm. I was reading on the WEB and saw some pictures of the AirAid and K&N fipk's, PLUS the AirForce One. The AF One looks a lot nicer installed, but doesn't have a K&N filter. Does the AirAid? The AF One just looks a lot more neatly installed - they seem to have thought out the fit better.

Yes, my "tru-dual" is made up of 2-1/4" pipes from the cats-back. Two FlowMaster series 40 mufflers and chrome tips. Seat-of-the-pants-meter says I got an improvement and yanking a 5000lb boat out of the water and up the ramp worked much better. BTW - NEVER try that without being in *low* range er you'll smoke your clutch. :-)

Anyway - you guys are right. The air here is murderous - but strap a boat on your hitch and try THAT...especially going over Wolfcreek Pass. :-)

------------------
Jeff Cooper
Westin Nerfs
K&N

Old 02-08-2001 | 05:20 PM
I too live in CO, in Thornton. The day after I ordered my boat last year, I ordered a supercharger because I knew I would have problems. I have no problems towing my boat anywhere. You will have to get rid of those "true" duals though. I've had my exhaust done 5 times on my truck!!! What I ended up with was JBA headers and a gibson single in, dual out muffler. You want torque! And with a wide open exhaust, you may pick up some ponies but you lose torque.

------------------
hytek1dr@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Freeway/7515/

Old 02-08-2001 | 06:21 PM
wow, apparently more people live in Denver area then I thought . WE shoudl all get together sometime, Im always looking for a good crew to hang with .

Quick Reply: High Altitude -- High Load