Best anti-theft device

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001 | 01:48 PM
|
Question Best anti-theft device

I am looking for suggestions and ideas for a good and effective anti-theft device. In my opinion alarms have little effect. I was looking for something like an ignition kill or something like that. Anyone have any ideas and information like personal experience and websites I would appreciate it.

------------------
1994 Toyota 4wd 22re Soon to have either 2001 Supercrew 4wd, or 2001 F-250 4wd PSD.

Old 03-12-2001 | 02:01 PM
Thumbs up

I don't even know if they are still in business but I had a "REVELCO" anti-theft device installed in a van in 95. It was a plug in device hard wired to the ignition with about 10,000 different combinations which would take forever to wire around. You had to have the correct plug to start the engine. It was about $150. installed.

It qualified for the insurance discount.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 03-12-2001 | 02:07 PM
Scooby, I just did a search and only found one post in a 97 message board about the Revelco. Like I said, they may be out of business. It was a dealer installed item, might call a few new car dealers and see if they have it. Good Luck.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 03-13-2001 | 09:38 AM
How bout the Unbreakable AutoLock PRO
seen it on infomercials, Pretty impressive!

www.unbrakeable.com

------------------
2001 Lariat SCrew Oxford White / House of Kolor Sunset Orange Pearl 2Tone.
TruckMaster Designs FD630-S AirDam,AirAid,Gibson9504/Split Rear Exhaust,Fac Moon Roof,3:55LS,6CD,Gen III/Beige,Steps,Slider,Tow,Capt's,Bed Extd, Bell Tech 2" Shackles

Check out my Photo's at

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jeff_east

Old 03-13-2001 | 09:45 AM
How about a very big Rottweiler with an attitude problem?

------------------
-JonC-
*Silver 2000 4x2 F150 Supercab
*4.6L Triton V8
*315/75/16 Pathfinder ATR's
*16 x 8 Panther Custom 108's
*K&N GenII FIPK
*Custom Cat-back w/ Flowmaster 50 Series
*Fabtech 6.5" "Ultimate" suspension lift
*Smittybilt nerf bars
*Extang Black Max soft tonneau
*Stull billet grille
*Clear corners

Old 03-13-2001 | 10:41 AM
Yep, AutoLock.

Awesome. Ordering mine soon. (2 actually)

------------------
--Lariat4WD--

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Flareside 4x4 Lariat
5.4L;auto;3.55LS;Black/Silver;ORP;remote keyless;floor-shift 4wd;Class III;AM/FM/SingleCD
Mods so far:
Lund X-Terminator bug shield; Vent Shade Vent Visors; Westin Black step bars; Pendaliner bedliner; GSP black Safari Grille Guard; GTS TailBlazerII Slotted taillight covers; Clear corner lenses; under hitch backup lights; 2 KC Hilites Daylighter 6" 150W black round; Cranked torsion bars; Removed lower striping; Replaced factory ORP decals w/ silver; 2 Polk Audio EX10 10" subs under rear seat; Sony XM754HX amp; Viper 300ESP alarm
Pending
2001 Lightning taillights; White/black gauges; Replacing factory gold/maroon Lariat decals & upper stripes with silver & black
Warranty Paint Work
Entire bed being repainted due to primer showing; also painting roof and passenger door due to factory defects; Changing all silver 2-tone to black
Wish list:
More lights; Flowmaster 40 Series SI/DO exhaust; Optima red top battery; Remote starter & Prox. sensor; In-dash TV/CD/DVD/AM/FM head unit; BedRug & Roll bar; Aluminum dash kit

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1288981&a=10889838&p=40339331&Sequence=0&re s=high" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1288981&a=10889838&p=40339335&Sequence=0&re s=high" TARGET=_blank> </A>
<A HREF="http://www.bmgsite.com" TARGET=_blank> </A>

2000 VW Cabrio GL (Wife's)
2.0L, auto, pw, pdl, pm, tilt, cruise
Green ext, black cloth int
Am/Fm/Cass w/ CD cgr

Old 03-13-2001 | 02:02 PM
Question

I considered the AutoLock but I don't know about the adjustable pedals being a problem. a service Guy at a Mercury Dealer (Wife's Mounty) told me there have been very few times that the Ford Ignition Key Recognition system has actually been defeated and the veichle started and driven away. He said most theft recoveries are from haul-off's. They just back up to it and drag it off with all the sirens blaring horns blowing and lights flashing. Or they will wait until YOU start it for them then break your head drag you out and drive it off! One of the best devices is a hidden switch that disables the fuel pump. If the veichle is moved in the process then it is a Theft and not Vandalisim This opens up a whole other set of opportunties regarding Insurance claims. The ideal system would be a fuel cutoff timer this will allow the truck to be moved a short distance and die! this is only IMHO...

------------------
2001 Super Crew Built 10/00 purchased12/00 Lariat 5.4 4X4 Bright Red, Factory Steps, Tow Package, K&N air filter, A.R.E. LS II, Rear Seat Entertainment System, Sound System Upgrades, DRL'S, Vent Shade Vent Visors, Stampeede bug Deflector. Hope to upgrade soon to Gibson SS or Dual Sport! Factory skid plates and "Off Road" Decal

Old 03-13-2001 | 03:44 PM
Just my $0.02...

It seems the Ford PATS system is pretty solid. But... if you end up with a Superduty -- there is no PATS and no alarm system factory installed (at least it wasn't an option for my '01 F250).

Since I didn't have an alarm or PATS, I went with a Viper ES 550 -- it has a starter circuit kill -- which doesn't carry the liability of the fuel pump (shutting off in the middle of an intersection -- or other bad situation). It also has a remote start feature which is nice in the winter... and the remote seems like the OEM.

And because it passively arms (30 seconds after I close the doors -- or some longer time if no action is taken) -- I get a 15% discount on insurance (like you would with PATS, etc.)

I've been pleased with it. But as others will point out -- the installer is the key.

Hope this helps,

Santa

------------------
2001 F250 CC Lariat LWB, 5.4L V8, 4.10LS
- Jeraco Deluxe Cab High Cap, color matched
- Uniden 68LTW CB Radio/Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna
- Trying to figure out what's next

Old 03-13-2001 | 06:47 PM
In my part of the world a NRA sticker is usually all you need. That and the fact that most of the trucks are farm trucks and noone wants to steal oneof those for very long.

Old 03-14-2001 | 08:57 AM
EDDIE PRESTON, Thank you for mentioning the adjustable pedals!!! I had totally forgot about them. I guess that would render the autolock totally useless.

Anybody got any other ideas on the adjustable pedals and autolocks.

------------------
2001 Lariat SCrew Oxford White / House of Kolor Sunset Orange Pearl 2Tone.
TruckMaster Designs FD630-S AirDam,AirAid,Gibson9504/Split Rear Exhaust,Fac Moon Roof,3:55LS,6CD,Gen III/Beige,Steps,Slider,Tow,Capt's,Bed Extd, Bell Tech 2" Shackles

Check out my Photo's at
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jeff_east

Old 03-14-2001 | 09:10 AM
All of the new f150's come with a passive anti-theft device. It is a micro chip inplanted in the key. Only your key will start the engine. The micro chip emits a weak signal witch is then picked up by the ignition control module, or something to that effect. In the signal, a code is modulated in, I think there are about 1-3 billion different codes. So, if you don't have a key, the truck isn't starting. It also qualifies for a level 2 insurance discount. At least in Texas it does.

------------------
2000 Silver F-150 XL Sport
Reg. Cab, Reg. Bed, 4.2L V6, 5-speed, 4x2

mods:
Tailgate lock, Generic bedliner
285/75r16 BFG AT ko (33.1x11.4)
Sony CD player, Blaunpunkt 5.25" speakers
Crimeguard alarm, Power locks
---------------------
Never let your schooling interfere with your education --Mark Twain

Old 03-14-2001 | 05:00 PM
Cool

I have a Python alarm on mine I works really well and get me an insurance discount. It has a starter kill and can't be defeated by pulling the batt cable or shocking the frame
I opted not to have the remote start and door unlock so if they fake the code they still have to jimmy the door

------------------

'97 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 ORP
Project "Hidden Horses"
4.6L v8 w/ auto & 3.55 LS rear end
Superchip!
AirForce 1 FIPK
Custom exhaust
Custom Graphics
Hard Tonneau Cover
GTS Headlight Covers
Pioneer DEH-P7200 "Dolphin" Stereo

electric fan and new wires & coils on the way

Old 03-15-2001 | 12:30 AM
Talking

You can always just get a "kill switch" from pep boys or where ever. Is a little relay switch that wires between you battery and starter. You can put the switch anywhere just don't tell anyone...just my 2 cents

------------------
1998 F150 STX 4.6L V8 Black w/Grey int. 6 disc CD-Changer, 5% tint, 2" drop shackles, CheckMate Flush Style bed cover, clear corners, APC Euro Clear Tails, SuperWhites, Infinity 5725cf all around, SS Speed Grille w/ bumper, Helwig rearsway bar,Superchip, Airaid, Mangecor KV8.5 wires, Bosch Plat +4, and Jardine Cat-Back single out.

Future Mods:
Pro-M, Throtle Body, Pulleys, Carbon Fiber, Headers, High Flow Cats, and Edlebrock shocks.

Old 03-16-2001 | 08:09 PM
Talking

I am serious, I have a red blinking light hooked up to 2 aa batteries. It will keep away the kids, the experts will steal anything they want anyway. look at the movie (gone in 60 seconds)

I plan in the future to get some kind of stickers for the windows saying i have a alarm in the truck ( but i don't)

------------------
1997 f150 xlt black extended cab 4.6, 4x2 auto limited slip
mercon v, k&n filter
load lok liner.
17 inch tires saw blade rims goodyear at/s
vent visors
nerf bars black
door crack drivers door

looking for front bush guard for future mod

Quick Reply: Best anti-theft device