K&N FIPK vs. Air Force 1 vs. Airaid????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001 | 03:25 PM
|
Question K&N FIPK vs. Air Force 1 vs. Airaid????

I've been reading a lot of posts about the FIPK's. I'm just wondering which one is the best, and why?

They are all around the same price so which one is better that the others? I know K&N's name and rep but the other's can actually use the K&N filter so the filter is pretty much out of the picture.

What makes the hardware any different from one to another or is it just personal preference?

Thanks....

------------------
bIGGINS
2001 F-150XLT 4X4 Sport SuperCab, Styleside, Short Bed, Black on Black, 4R70, 5.4L, 3.55LS, 17in Rubber

Old 04-16-2001 | 05:47 PM
ive been wondering the same thing...airforce one says 17.5 or something like that hp, k&n say up to 26 hp and airaid is like 15 hp. how accurate are these hp gains? i have a 4.6l and i want the best. anyone know?

Old 04-16-2001 | 07:37 PM
Thumbs up

Do some searchs as this is a real hot topic.

In summary:

The gains are the same with all of them. I think 10-12HP is probably about it but I could be wrong. It really comes down to a few things:

1. Looks. K&N I think looks functional; nothing fancy, Airaid looks better because of the powder coated metal tube (an I have one so I know what it looks like), then Air Force One - Chrome tube; fancy-schmancy. I personally don't care for the shape of AF1 but I've never seen one in person.

2. CARB certification (Emissions). I'm in Texas so I didn't care that they didn't spend the extra $$'s to get Airaid CARB certified. K&N is and I believe AF1 is now or will be soon. No functional difference just the red tape and expense to certify. I think Evergreen (Airaid) didn't so they could keep cost competitive with K&N. If you have to get visual inspections in your state, you may want to stick with one that's certified

3. Fit. I think they all now mount very well. I think K&N used to use a large plastic tie, but now use a similar metal bracket that the Airaid does.

I've also heard several people complain about the additional noise the K&N may produce. I think it's the plastic tube allowing more sound to be heard. The Airaid is quiet, until you nail it

If you want to see some pics of the Airaid, click on the link in or at the bottom of my sig. I love it.

Either way, the K&N and Airaid are probably the most popular because the more expensive AF1 for example, is just getting you what some say is better looks. I bought the Airaid at the online store. It's the best price I've found for it. Roger sells it for the same as the K&N. Most places the Airaid is about $20-$30 more.

Oh ya, you may also see and hear the debates around metal tube, plastic tube and what effects or lack thereof heat has. There is a post where someone measured underhood heat and you'd be surprised at how cool it gets when moving. I don't think I've seen anything that proves either one better than the other.

Whew......I'm tired now..

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners (installed then removed and reinstalled OEM's)
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number

<A HREF="http://members.home.net/kennedy-jim/Expedition/2000ford.htm" TARGET=_blank>-->Come share my Addiction<--</A>

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 04-16-2001).]

Old 04-16-2001 | 07:47 PM
I don't think it makes a bit of difference, they all looked alike for my truck ==airaid and K&N used the same filter--airforce 1 used a comparable filter(oil based cotton fiber) so i really believe they will all do about the same job for you. i agree with familyride no diff except for cost, and your preference on looks.

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

Old 04-16-2001 | 10:22 PM
Cool

HI!... They all produce about the same 14H.P at the flywheel. This has been proven on SUPERCHIP's "EDDY" current dyno. Ask MIKE TROYER for more details on this.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP "FLIP-CHIP", BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, PERMA-COOL external tranny filter, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS, FORD RACING 24LB injectors, RUSSELL stainless steel braided tranny lines with fittings.

FUTURE MODS : BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 340H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.52E.T * MPH - 93.73 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 16.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon JAZ fuel cell,etc

Old 04-16-2001 | 10:34 PM
Thumbs up

Biggins,

I just installed my Airaid today and can honestly say I am 99% satisfied. The instructions were a little lacking and pictures quite small to see detail but if I can figure it out, anyone can . The Airaid makes a nice low rumble when cruising (overdrive). The only thing unexpected is a vibration in the gas peddle at 55 MPH 1500 RPM's and higher, nothing really annoying, but then again I've only driven it about 5 miles after install. Time will tell. I don't think you will be disappointed with any of the products. Good Luck!

------------------
(Gots)
98 SC 4x4 ORP
4.6L
3.55 LS
Airaid FIPK
Raider Vagabond Cap
Bedliner
Westin Chrome Steps
Chrome Brush Gaurd

Dime size door ding in P side door courtesy of some uncaring B#$t@&d (soon to be fixed)

(Wants)
Ravin 55 SI/SO

Old 04-16-2001 | 10:58 PM
Cool

Howdy biggins!

One word answer: looks. Okay, maybe 2 words: looks and brand name.

I just liked the look of the AiRaid kit. This is probably why they have such detailed pictures for each of their models on their website.

Plastic versus metal? Sure, durability is always good because I like to push things until they break.. then send it back and get another one.

Will a person jump higher with a pair of Nike's than a pair of Reebok? Hmmm.. probably not. But then again, it depends on who you ask..

Have a nice day!

------------------
My ride:

Basics:
- '99 XLT F-150

Under hood and back:
- Ram air (Don't ask me how )
- AiRaid intake
- Flowmaster DF 50 Series
- 24x3.5" Stainless steel slashed tips (Yes! Solid polished SS, no cheesy chrome-plated)

Outside:
- Precision polished billet grille and plate holders
- American Racing 17x8s polished Pythons (Flushed front AND back)
- Goodyear.. something tires (Expensive is all I know. LOL. No Firestone firecrackers for me either)
- Rhino liner
- Ford nerf bars
- Ford bed rails

Inside:
- My girlfriend!

Fun stuff:
- Dual sirens Black Widow alarm system/keyless entry (Enough decibels to go deaf in a garage )
- Custom driving lights (Just a cool blue)
- 2 High-Watt lights behind grille (For people who cut me off )
- Dual horns (For people who, again, cut me off)
- Dual wheel locks (So I won't be driving home on bricks!)
- Spare wheel lock (So I won't have to use a brick as a spare )

Best of all:
- Texas A&M University aTm front plate! Gig'em Aggies!!

Stephlan

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK vs. Air Force 1 vs. Airaid????