Which soft cover to buy - help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001 | 04:58 PM
|
Post Which soft cover to buy - help me decide

Here is what I want...

I am looking for a cover that will pretty well seal out rain, that doesn't look like a wagon with bowed rails, and I like the hidden seams. I hate seeing snaps all down the side. Also, I saw one that was flush with the top of the bed, and it looked great. Lastly, I want to spend as little $$$ as possible. Any advise?

Old 04-12-2001 | 05:25 PM
I looked for one for a long time... hard or soft-cover, flush mounted. Horizon industries makes a flush-mounted hard tonneau called the fastback, but their newest design has a poor hinge design that doesn't hold up. I had the 1st generation on my 97 and I loved it. I finally just went with a TekStyle for my 00 more for necessity than anything else.

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners, Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard, Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way) Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbar w/ 2" stainless steel ball, Gray Tek Style Soft Tonneau Cover, Line-X liner coming next week.
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector.
93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain.

Old 04-16-2001 | 03:29 PM
Exclamation

Just added a checkerpro hinged soft tonneau cover a couple months ago. There are good and bad features.. I'm at work, so I will reply tomorrow if anyones interested...

Old 04-16-2001 | 03:44 PM
Mine is made by covercraft. Got it for about $200 through jcwhitney. You can kinda see it if you click on the link below my pic.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start, Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip. Going to add headers.

Future mods: Supercharger, headers, NOS, tranny upgrade(heavy duty gears, clutch packs, etc.), performance torque converter, bore engine 30 over, new pistons, crank, and rods, performance heads, new L if they still make them and I like the way it looks, and a Z06 Vette or BMW Z3.

Click here to see more pictures

Old 04-18-2001 | 03:50 PM
Cool

My Downey SST cover is now 3 years old, looks great, has been pretty good at sealing out the rain, and doesn't have snaps down the rails as the whole rail is a snap.

But it does have two slightly arched bars for cross bed support, but hardly looks like a conestoga wagon!

Old 04-19-2001 | 03:53 PM
Evaluation:
Checkerpro hinged soft tonnaue cover.

Good cover for the cost.

Slight lengthway arch -gives a good look and no wagon appeal. I'll replace the length / width tubes with non adjustable ones later because the adjustment connectors leave visible bumps.

Tightness -poor if you do it yourself in the cold winter, I'll retighten this summer.
Assembly -get help, offer beer -mostly afterwards. Frame will keep skewing while tightening.

Hardware -you'll need to debur frame and get longer screws for the hinge and strut mounts that attach to the frame. Buy hex drive button head screws for appearance on truck when cover removed.

Hinge- Bind problem when lowering. THIS could and HAS bent forward cross brace a bit. You'll need to polish exterior 90deg edge of hinge that mounts to cover frame. I'll eventually do mine in a couple weeks.

Seal -I'm in rainy Beaverton Oregon and I'm satisfied for the cost. Cover doesn't overlap the bed rails very much but it will allow me to put hidden tie downs in the stake pockets, *** allowing me to put equipment under the cover locking it in with the tailgate, putting a blanket on the cover and latice tied to the top. No damage to cover

Looks -Really good for the cost, BUT if your one to spend money on new grills and appearance products, you may be a bit disappointed.

Usage: I like how it will flex if I'm out on an old logging road hunting, can remove it myself quickly, and opens and closes as often as I need without snapping or zipping.

Any Questions...

Tim

Old 04-24-2001 | 10:04 PM
Would you consider a folding hard cover? I've got the advance folding cover (www.advancecover.com) and it works great. Cost $500. Lockable. Not advertised as waterproof, but I have yet to get water (other than a few drips aroudn the tailgate) in the bed. Can drive with it half open. Lightweight, easy to remove when necessary. Have other photos posted in the Supercrew forum.

Just my $0.02.

------------------
2001 F150 Supercrew 4X2 (Gen III), Lariat, Arizona Beige Metallic, 5.4L, Towing Package, 3.55 LSD, Moonroof, Captains Chairs, Premium Sound, Extender
Ordered 12/14/2000, Received 2/9/2001 Life is Good...
Modifications:
Line X bedliner, Ford factory splashguards, Black Westin Step Bars, Aux Back Up Lights, Advance Cover folding hard cover, Extender Lock, New Factory Ford transmission (replaced at 2100 miles)

Quick Reply: Which soft cover to buy - help me decide