Hardwiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008 | 06:29 PM
|
Hardwiring

has any one hardwired there CB radio or any other electronic into there truck and if so can i get some step by step instructions. i want the cb to turn off and on when the truck does

Old 02-18-2008 | 07:19 PM
I've got something tapped into the 12V wire (green/black on the Expy) coming out of the ignition harness with a wire tap thing (they should have them at any auto store.) But, I've heard this isn't recommended.

You could also find a fuse for something that turns on and off with the key (I think the radio does this) and use an Add-a-circuit. Then just connect the black wire to ground.

My CB is powered by a cig lighter, but then again, my setup isn't permanent by any means (only use it for highway trips.)

Old 02-18-2008 | 08:08 PM
|
ya i wired into the radio fuse but insted of using the fuse adapter thing i just put the live wire into the fuse hole and pushed the fuse down on top of it witch i heard worked from other members. only problem is the cb stays on all the time even whe nthe truck is off and the key is out. any one have an idea what the problem is?

Old 02-19-2008 | 02:52 PM
|
anyone have any idea?

Old 02-19-2008 | 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by sully853
ya i wired into the radio fuse but insted of using the fuse adapter thing i just put the live wire into the fuse hole and pushed the fuse down on top of it witch i heard worked from other members. only problem is the cb stays on all the time even whe nthe truck is off and the key is out. any one have an idea what the problem is?

its been a while but, the older radios had 2 power supplies going to them, one switched and the other full time hot. Perhaps you grabbed power from the wrong one. A multi-meter is the way to find out

Old 02-19-2008 | 07:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by beckerjs
its been a while but, the older radios had 2 power supplies going to them, one switched and the other full time hot. Perhaps you grabbed power from the wrong one. A multi-meter is the way to find out

BINGO (newer ones do to btw)

IMO the best way to wire up anything that uses a substantial current amp draw is with a relay.

For my AV stuff (screens and wireless headphones) i tied into the radio acc power wire to switch a relay on and off. No point in having the screen get power when the radio doesnt even have it. It also works with the delayed power function.

My radar detector is also hardwired with a relay, but that one is tapped to an ignition fuse at the fusebox. when the truck is on the detector is on.
Not very hard to do, and it puts a whole lot less strain on whichever curcuit your tapping into.

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I've got mine running into my cig lighter. I'm going to wire it into something thats always hot cause I use my PA all the time when the engine is off.

Old 02-20-2008 | 04:48 PM
|
if you want it always hot use the audio fuse because thats what i have mine in now and i can trun it on whenever

Quick Reply: Hardwiring