E-fans (suggestions?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Big Slick
i went with the DC Control FK35 and i'm waiting for my Markvii fan to arrive.
Nice choice on controllers! You will be happy with it. Its compact and is easy to set up. And most important is the soft start up less load on the fuse and wiring. I have the FK 50 and love it. Its got some jumpers on it i no what two of them do but as for the rest i have no idea! The builder of the unit frequents this site and made a post about the jumpers but i cant find it. Will look again when i get some time.

Old 08-13-2008 | 05:04 PM
I remember him posting to my problem of it not working. I had installed the jumpers without knowing what they did. Apparently, they control "U/D pulley" mode (10% on all the time, 100% when AC is on, instead of the normal 50%), and something else. Lemme find the post...

Is this the post, FX4?
Click Me

Last edited by ELVATO; 08-13-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2008 | 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Irish FX4
Nice choice on controllers! You will be happy with it. Its compact and is easy to set up. And most important is the soft start up less load on the fuse and wiring. I have the FK 50 and love it. Its got some jumpers on it i no what two of them do but as for the rest i have no idea! The builder of the unit frequents this site and made a post about the jumpers but i cant find it. Will look again when i get some time.
i got the fan in today and will be installing it this weekend. the factory pig tail that was included has 4 wires. which are used with the DC controller?

Old 08-13-2008 | 06:37 PM
Hmm, I think my fan only had 3 wires: 1 negative, 1 low speed, and 1 high speed.

Old 08-13-2008 | 09:40 PM
|
Shifty,

Looks great! Any idea what you paid for the fan alone? I'm seeing them on Ebay from $45 to $80.00. It looks like the low end pricing doesn't have the hardware with it. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks again for sharing, and helping a fella out!

Old 08-13-2008 | 09:43 PM
junk yard price and i pulled it just cut the wires and took out the bolts was 30 bucks. i just ran wires to a switch and i have a temp gauge so i dont need a switch. but 45 bucks sounds good if theres no hardware. it just Zip ties to the top and bottom of the radatitor. that fan is so big that the holes on the bottom line u p with holes on our radatitor. Well on 97-03 i donno how the holes are on your 05. But that temp switch you should be able to get from autozone or buy one these guys are talking about... i dont trust them at all thats why i have a simple switch.

Old 08-13-2008 | 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
I remember him posting to my problem of it not working. I had installed the jumpers without knowing what they did. Apparently, they control "U/D pulley" mode (10% on all the time, 100% when AC is on, instead of the normal 50%), and something else. Lemme find the post...

Is this the post, FX4?
Click Me
That's right it was your post. I remember it now. He mentions the jumper for the under drive pulley in his directions with the 10% fan on and 100% with AC on. But nothing else. Ill look for your post or mine as i remember posting to your thread.

Old 08-14-2008 | 07:22 AM
Hmm, I think my fan only had 3 wires: 1 negative, 1 low speed, and 1 high speed.
i definately have 4 wires. could there be a high, low negative and ign. on sense?

Old 08-14-2008 | 11:43 AM
Could be ignition, though not sure. What colors are they? I think for mine, black was negative, and blue was high, and I think low speed was orange. I connected the black to black, and red (from the DC control) to the high speed one.

If all else fails, you should be able to just touch the wires to a battery to determine which wire is high speed. I'll check on the colors when I get back from work.

Old 08-14-2008 | 05:21 PM
Could be ignition, though not sure. What colors are they? I think for mine, black was negative, and blue was high, and I think low speed was orange. I connected the black to black, and red (from the DC control) to the high speed one.

If all else fails, you should be able to just touch the wires to a battery to determine which wire is high speed. I'll check on the colors when I get back from work.
thanks. seems there's a couple different iterations of the fan throughout the years. i didn't pull the wires out of the loom yet. i'll check the colors when i get home. so essentially, i just need to find the high speed wire and connect it the fan output of the DC Controller, then the controller caries the speed depending on temp and a/c input?

Old 08-14-2008 | 10:20 PM
Look real close at the motor, you should see an embossed + and - on the two outside terminals, that's the high speed circuit. On some of them, the middle is low speed, on others, it's either disconnected or connected in the motor to the high speed circuit. You should be able to trace the wires back from there

Old 08-15-2008 | 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Big Slick
thanks. seems there's a couple different iterations of the fan throughout the years. i didn't pull the wires out of the loom yet. i'll check the colors when i get home. so essentially, i just need to find the high speed wire and connect it the fan output of the DC Controller, then the controller caries the speed depending on temp and a/c input?
Yea, basically.

Either way, I'd listen the the man himself, baskin.

Old 08-15-2008 | 12:54 AM
Buy a good fan kit like a Flex-a-lite 270 ($500.00) or something. I hate reading about all the nay-sayers of eFans who bought some cheap fans, zip tied them to the radiator, and are now pissed off at the world for being stranded out in Death Valley on vacation. Engine cooling requires sufficient time and investment, otherwise leave it alone.

I run a DC controller on the Turbo Coupe, it is a good product.

Last edited by MeanGene; 08-15-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added DC Controller comment
Old 08-15-2008 | 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by baskin
Look real close at the motor, you should see an embossed + and - on the two outside terminals, that's the high speed circuit. On some of them, the middle is low speed, on others, it's either disconnected or connected in the motor to the high speed circuit. You should be able to trace the wires back from there
thanks i appreciate the help.

just a quick question, though. some of the ebay ads i saw stated that the fans with white plugs were more rare than the ones with black plugs and flowed a little more. my fan has a white plug. any truth to that?

Old 08-15-2008 | 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by baskin
Hey Baskin. Your the guy that builds and makes these DC controllers.Right!! I remember the name. Brian!! yep im sure it is. Could you fill us in as to what all the jumper setting are on the controller. Mine is the FK 50p. I dont have any jumpers installed on my controller.

I put the two little black connectors on the group of 4 prongs.
The jumpers are used to reconfigure the controller

pins 13/14 -10% with ignition on, 100% with AC on
pins 15/16 -50% with ignition on, 100% with AC on
pins 14/16 - 100% with AC on
Yep they are the settings all right. Missed it in your post above. Sorry.:o
Maybe Baskin could confirm these jumper setting. After all hes the man to talk to regarding the DC controller.

Quick Reply: E-fans (suggestions?)