lights on the roof laws?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008 | 09:40 PM
|
lights on the roof laws?

i have heard that if you have lights on the roof of the truck that it is against the law to have them unless they are covered. i dont want to have to get out of my truck everytime i want to turn them on. is this true about the law? i live in texas just outside of houston if that makes a difference. Thanks

Old 09-29-2008 | 10:47 PM
Suspended
What kind of lights are we talking about here.

This is pretty up in the air.

Old 09-29-2008 | 11:07 PM
I have heard that too, but I have friends that have lights on the roof or a pillars and the cops haven't said anything yet. I think as long as you are not using them it should be fine IMO It all depends on how big of a **** a LEO wants to be to you

Old 09-30-2008 | 08:07 AM
|
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
What kind of lights are we talking about here.

This is pretty up in the air.
like the off road lights on the roof

Old 09-30-2008 | 08:08 AM
|
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
I have heard that too, but I have friends that have lights on the roof or a pillars and the cops haven't said anything yet. I think as long as you are not using them it should be fine IMO It all depends on how big of a **** a LEO wants to be to you
cool. well i dont have them on there yet but i guess i will go ahead and put them up there and hope that no cop says anything.

Old 09-30-2008 | 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by willys5555
cool. well i dont have them on there yet but i guess i will go ahead and put them up there and hope that no cop says anything.
As long as you aren't using them on the road I don't see the issue. If you get pulled over just play stupid

Old 09-30-2008 | 12:45 PM
It's not illegal if they aren't on

Old 09-30-2008 | 12:50 PM
Texas Transportation Code 547.302

(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one
time on the front of a motor vehicle:
(1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or
(2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp,
that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300
candlepower.

Old 09-30-2008 | 05:26 PM
Suspended
i lived in houston. your not gonna get in trouble for lights. if your not acting like a dumb *** you wont have problems with any cops. if there not on dont worry about it. what kind of roof rack were you considering? im starting to want to add one to my truck. just then i cant go through drive thru's

Old 09-30-2008 | 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by willys5555
you will be fine. my friend has a jeep with huge lights on top and they are rarely covered. as long as you dont have them turn on you will be ok

Old 09-30-2008 | 06:23 PM
|
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
As long as you aren't using them on the road I don't see the issue. If you get pulled over just play stupid
haha exactly.

Old 09-30-2008 | 06:25 PM
|
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
i lived in houston. your not gonna get in trouble for lights. if your not acting like a dumb *** you wont have problems with any cops. if there not on dont worry about it. what kind of roof rack were you considering? im starting to want to add one to my truck. just then i cant go through drive thru's
i am not sure what i am going to do. i was thinking about putting a head ache rack on the truck and i might just put them on there. how high is your truck that you wont be able to go through drive thrus? i know i wont be able to go through drive thrus with my truck because of my cb antennas.

Old 09-30-2008 | 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by john1102
It's not illegal if they aren't on
it is here

Depends where you live. Most cops wont mess with it (just like how its illegal to have chit hangin from the rear view mirror, or no more then X% of tire can be sticking out past fenders or un-covered by mud flaps. Window tint. etc etc etc. There are millions of laws most police officers don't enforce, but there will be a couple cops who do. Do you really want any reason to give cops to pull you over ? Its up to you. Check YOUR local laws. Ask some friends who live around you. Like I said, some places are more lax then others.

Oh, and I fit through drive thru's just fine ! CB antennas move ! they will bend down so you can go through, i used to all the time.

Old 09-30-2008 | 06:52 PM
|
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
it is here

Depends where you live. Most cops wont mess with it (just like how its illegal to have chit hangin from the rear view mirror, or no more then X% of tire can be sticking out past fenders or un-covered by mud flaps. Window tint. etc etc etc. There are millions of laws most police officers don't enforce, but there will be a couple cops who do. Do you really want any reason to give cops to pull you over ? Its up to you. Check YOUR local laws. Ask some friends who live around you. Like I said, some places are more lax then others.

Oh, and I fit through drive thru's just fine ! CB antennas move ! they will bend down so you can go through, i used to all the time.
i dont want to risk breaking my antennas though. and with my 8" lift and 38" tires most of the antenna would hit the building. haha

Old 09-30-2008 | 07:07 PM
aw, gots a good point there ! I remember back when drive thru's were something for me to laugh at ! I think I made it through one, one time in this monster:

good times. You mount you CB antena in a fixed location ? Not moveable ?? Daily driving maybe it can be in a different spot, a little lower (in bed, bent back and held down) ?? Just some thoughts.

Quick Reply: lights on the roof laws?