Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any more results to report???

Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by boneyzhcivic
any more results to report???
not really, i'm about half way through my full tank so when it's done i'll let ya know the total mileage i get, this is with mostly in town driving.

before i was getting roughly 420 miles to a tank..so we'll see

Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by IdiotWithAStick
A few thousand miles and excel? good god man we arent scientists with grants here!
I'm not a scientist either, but I keep a log in Excel that includes details about each time I buy gasoline, each time I change my oil, any maintenance, and anything else that happens to my truck. Though I'm pretty **** about stuff, I'm sure that lots of other people on this forum do the something similar. But that's not the point...

I'm wondering if perhaps part of the increase you're seeing is that you've changed your driving habits. I'm not saying that you've done this on consciously, but anyone can squeeze a few more miles per gallon for a short period of time by accelerating and breaking a bit slower. Also, you mentioned that you went on long trips and gathered your results that way. If you compared your MPG on a long trip (assuming highway driving with minimal stop-and-go) to your typical MPG (with a mix of city and highway), you're again going to see increased results.

Obviously both driving more conservatively and comparing highway MPG to city MPG still doesn't create 35 MPG like you've reported, so that intrigues me. What also intrigues me is that you put one jar in your truck and also pointed us to an ebay auction for the same product you installed. On that site it mentions that for larger engines, one jar would produce minimal results. In fact, he said he has 10 jars hooked up to his Ram. Granted, he didn't make any claims of increased fuel efficiency, but he did imply that one jar will produce noticeable results only on smaller engines. I know a V6 is smaller than a V8, but the V6 is still larger than many cars' engines. I'm suspicious of your preliminary results for that reason.

Additionally, I suspect much of the disbelief stems from the fact that there doesn't seem to be any data proving the claimed results (not just yours). There seems to be quite a bit of general feedback and preliminary results, but no hard numbers. Any product that claims to produce increased fuel efficiency should be expected to provide details of increased efficiency (percentage increase for each make, model, year, engine size, etc. they have tested). I want to see what results I should expect for my 2005 V8 supercrew.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Here is the latest.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ong-truck.html

Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
See, now I'm ROFLMAO.

This is what happens when you let cuzin Goober screw around with stuff he has no clue about...which pretty much covers the whole idea....

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
like I said before. I really really don't care if you guys believe HHO works or not, i'm not trying to sell anything, just offered our experience since the OP asked about it.
laugh and say i told you so all you want...i really don't care, shows your maturity level though.
my brother made a couple mistakes when installing it, oh well, sorry he can't be as perfect as the rest of you

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Penguin86
like I said before. I really really don't care if you guys believe HHO works or not, i'm not trying to sell anything, just offered our experience since the OP asked about it.
laugh and say i told you so all you want...i really don't care, shows your maturity level though.
my brother made a couple mistakes when installing it, oh well, sorry he can't be as perfect as the rest of you
so what is the final results in what cause your truck to act up. how did your brother install it wrong to cause the problem?? if you could please post a pic of where he tapped in to the the 12v source and where he attached the vaccume hose. is still interested in HHO

Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
This dumb-a$$ scheme was all the rage last year. No one in the world who said it worked could explain why it "worked" based on science or engineering. It was always some mumbo-jumbo or else an attack on the "naysayers" or "non-believers". Never a rational or logical explanation since neither science or engineering supported the claims.

However, the ONLY way it can work to increase perceived fuel economy on a fuel-injected engine is to run ultra-lean - which raises pollution and drastically increases the odds of burning a valve or punching a hole in a piston.

Some trade-off, eh?

If you had done some homework here instead of on youtube before embarking on this fool's mission you would have been able to prevent your current predicament.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:45 AM
No damage has ever been cause by these systems. Its hard to think what kind of DAMAGE a properly installed can of water could do to a truck. If the jar breaks, the water spills on the ground and you have to clean up a mess, but the wires wont have water to push electicity through and wont do anything.
Are you sure about that?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Are you sure about that?

the key words here are PROPERLY INSTALLED. he made a couple mistakes, therefore it wasn't properly installed and that is what caused the damage. The damage would have been easily fixed but when re-installing a hose he broke a plastic piece that just happens to cost around $400 so that's why the truck isn't fixed yet.

anyways this is my last say on the subject, like i said i really don't care if you believe in HHO or not, my bro still hasnt had a single problem with it in his 96 f150 and is still getting 30+ MPG.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No damage has ever been cause by these systems. Its hard to think what kind of DAMAGE a properly installed can of water could do to a truck.
The water, nothing, unless it's inside your engine. However, the increased temperatures from leaning out the F/A could definitely case damage.

the key words here are PROPERLY INSTALLED. he made a couple mistakes, therefore it wasn't properly installed and that is what caused the damage. The damage would have been easily fixed but when re-installing a hose he broke a plastic piece that just happens to cost around $400 so that's why the truck isn't fixed yet.
How was it not properly installed and specifically, how did that cause any damage? I don't think a broken plastic piece caused the truck to throw all those codes.

anyways this is my last say on the subject, like i said i really don't care if you believe in HHO or not, my bro still hasnt had a single problem with it in his 96 f150 and is still getting 30+ MPG.
Can you have your brother explain this then?

Well the first thing is to work out how much energy it requires to keep an average vehicle cruising at(say) 65mph, around 20HP.

Let's convert that to electrical energy by multiplying 20HP by 746 (the number of watts in a horsepower). We get 14,920 or roughly 15KW.

Now, if we want to replace 40% of that power with energy from HHO gas, we'll need to use at least 15KW x 40% which comes to 6,000 watts (6KW).

If we assume that the electrolysis cell which converts electricity into HHO gas is 100% efficient (which it certainly isn't) then that means we'll need a massive 6000W/12V or 500 amps of current to make that much gas. (Power/Voltage = Current)

Suddenly those 30A wires are looking rather inadequate aren't they?

What's more, since the average car's alternator can only deliver about 80A of current, this means the battery would have to deliver the other 520A and (in the case of even a good 80AH unit) would be flat in under 10 minutes.

Of course these simple calculations ignore the fact that electrolysis cells are not 100% efficient and the even more important fact that the average internal combustion engine is only around 30% efficient -- so even if we delivered 6KW of HHO gas to the engine it would only produce under 2KW of actual power.

With these inefficiencies taken into account we'd actually need a staggering 1,500A of electrical current to generate the necessary HHO gas to reduce our fuel input by 40%.

So clearly the math doesn't add up. There's just no way you can extract enough electrical energy from your car's automotive system to create the gas volumes needed to create any meaningful amount of energy.
- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 08-30-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 AM
A maintenance guy at work in his 60's is running a kit he made on his old little Nissan truck. The truck is a carbed four cylinder with a manual trans. He told me he is seeing a 20+ MPG increase on the highway. He also told me he only runs his kit on the highway after getting up to speed. He drives 65 miles one way to work.

His kit uses the same basic concept as the eBay kit, but his canister takes up about 1/3 of his bed. He also told me it took months of experimenting to get where he is now.

He has now moved on to making his own special blends of gasoline.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Fan

I have always been a fan of this stuff purely for the ingenuity and inventiveness. 1% inspiration, %99 perspiration right?

Hows about this. Go get a tank of hydrogen. Tap your intake. Put a manual valve between the tank and intake somewhere in the cab. (Dangerous as hell so don't forget to turn it off!).
Myth busters pumped hydrogen into a Mercedes and got some nice back flash. Hydrogen burns waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than oxygen.
Lemme know what you come up with.

Don't blow yourself up.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 PM
LOL don't experiment on your DD.

Maybe if you have an old POS you don't want or need. They guy I was talking about has a graveyard of cars/bikes he has ruined doing experiments.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
HHO kits are about as truthful as throttle body spaces on fuel injected vehicles, seafoam, the tornado intake kit, and electric turbochargers

Quick Reply: HHO kits? anyone