Hardwiring A NUVI ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010 | 01:19 PM
|
Truck of the Month
cool would love to see a write up on that

Old 01-30-2010 | 02:54 PM
I had a kid at the local audio store do mine when he installed the backup camera. He ordered a $17 wiring harness....and took about 10 minutes. I put mine (Nuvi 255W) left of the steering wheel..stuck to the windshield. Also did the backup camera with a 2.5" screen mounted on the defroster vent on the driver side door....looks very clean. I'll try to get some pics posted. (2010 XLT Screw)

Old 01-30-2010 | 02:57 PM
|
Truck of the Month
man that sounds pretty sweet show us some pics when you get a chance

Old 02-10-2010 | 09:43 AM
Had my Nuvi hard wired to the igintion....don't like it. It goes on and off everytime the key is turned on, and I need to shut it off manually if I don't want it on. Taking it back to the kid that did the install to either have it wired hot or switched. IMO having it cycle through the start up everytime I get in the truck is annoying. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:40 PM
^ that makes not sense. If its wired with ingition, it should turn on and off with the key. If its wired hot, youd have to manually switch it on and off. You say it turns on with the key, but you have to manually shut it off? That makes no sense.

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:49 PM
|
Truck of the Month
that's what I was thinking

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Murphysdream
Had my Nuvi hard wired to the igintion....don't like it. It goes on and off everytime the key is turned on, and I need to shut it off manually if I don't want it on. Taking it back to the kid that did the install to either have it wired hot or switched. IMO having it cycle through the start up everytime I get in the truck is annoying. Hope this helps.
If your GPS was connected to the vehicle's ignition wire, then it would turn on when the key is turned over, and prompt a shut down in 30 seconds when the key is turned off (with the option to shut down at that moment by pressing the "turn off" button on the GPS screen). If your GPS is acting outsdie of that function, then it is not connected to a switched power source such as the ignition. Running your GPS through the ignition wire is ideal in most conditions because it is only on when your truck is on. Think of it this way. If you have it on a hard switch or a hot wire, and you leave it on in your truck accidentally at night, if someone were to see it and like it enough, they would have something to look forward to with a quick window smash and grab job. In conclusion, be really careful how you want it to be connected.

Old 03-11-2010 | 02:55 AM
I think his main issue is he didn’t want it on every time he turns the truck on. I think it would be easier to leave it switched like it is and just turn it off when you don’t want it on then to have to turn it on and off every time. You could also leave it switched and put a toggle switch inline also so that it only turns on when the ignition is on and the toggle switch is in the on position.

Quick Reply: Hardwiring A NUVI ?