HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010 | 12:11 AM
|
HID Question

thank you all in advance.

Well, I bought some headlight covers for my F150, and my 10000k light output has dramtically decreased (I know, I expected that).. my question is, can I get halogen fog lights ($50.00 set from walmart or advanced) and wire my HIDS in there?

my plan is to keep the Headlight covers on and just run these as my headlights.

Old 03-15-2010 | 05:51 PM
you can put HIDs in anything. be careful with the wal-mart stuff though. just make sure you seal the housing yourself.

have you thought of putting a set of 4-5K in your headlights? might be worth trying out. their light is whiter so it may be able to shine through the covers better.

one other thing to look out for, using an off road light as a headlight around town may **** some people off. it really would be a **** maneuver without proper height and aiming.

Old 03-15-2010 | 06:33 PM
Well adding wal-mart or parts store driving lights will usually look a little..um let's just say aftermarket (IMO not very nice). Then to take sometimes ill-designed lights and more illegal lighting (read HIDs) does no seam like a wise idea. This is all unfortunate and alternative to the poorly designed headlight additions. The bad idea was first adding ricer blue 10,000K HIDs in headlights, then covering them up with headlights covers from the 80's/90's.

I am not being negative to one person, but rather to the idea of taking a bad idea, then covering it up and making it worse, and having to add another band-aide to fix the first mistake.

Old 03-15-2010 | 11:38 PM
|
would you have any better ideas with an early 97 model headlight assembly? getting Halo Projector headlights without cutting and molding yourself with the headlight housing on this model is about the only thing you can do aside from the Headlight covers.

Old 03-15-2010 | 11:56 PM
Anything up to 14K will be fine. Ricer Colors are those deep purple and green HID's. As for your covers you could try to use some VHT Niteshades. Spray lightly until you get your desired look. I like the look of black headlights but when I got my HID's and they werent as bright as everyone else I sanded down the niteshades. If you want you could install HID's in your fogs.

Old 03-16-2010 | 02:49 AM
You're asking for (and will get) trouble trying to use an aftermarket fog/driving light as your primary headlights....incredibly illegal. Look up "Multiple Beam Road Lighting Equipment" in your State's Statutes. You're already pushing it with those 10,000k HIDs, assuming they're really 10,000k (which should be significantly blue). You're losing a LOT of Lumens. If you're interested in actually seeing, I'd slap some 5000k-6000k bulbs in there and double your effective light output. If you're really committed to those 10,000k jobbies, either lose the smoked covers or don't drive at night. Sorry, but it's just a bad combo. Just my opinion, though.

Old 03-16-2010 | 05:29 AM
you want to put non dot approved foglights (not that it matters) on your truck, then put a hid kit in them, and run them as your primary light source all so you can run headlight covers?

wow.........

Old 03-16-2010 | 05:15 PM
|
such an ignorant idea, huh? then please explain to me why this is a pretty common thing. i.e

Old 03-16-2010 | 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by tylerhollister
such an ignorant idea, huh? then please explain to me why this is a pretty common thing. i.e
Check your local laws.

Old 03-16-2010 | 06:41 PM
Regardless of what you see on the internet - its not a good idea. The covers are very dated indeed - I remember having a set on my 1989 GMC S-15 with a 1993 GMC Sonoma Chrome front clip...I was 16, and cool was all that mattered at that point.

If you want usable light, go with a 4500k - 5500k HID kit - thats the range that ACTUAL vehicles come with. Any of that blue or purple crap is as RICER as it gets. Nothing higher than 6000k belongs on a truck - trucks were built with a purpose, not to look cool cruising at night with royal blue headlights.

Post a picture of your truck - I'm sure there are some great options out there for your headlights - how about the Lightning replacement heads/corners from any of the aftermarket providers. Halo/LED housings fall into the ultra cheesy "ricer" category all over again. Most ricers have even moved away from that crap because they realized how cheap it looked - most of what I see running that now are rednecks who think they are ricers - its an absolute catastrophe.

Old 03-16-2010 | 07:13 PM
Truck of the Month
first off if a headlight is to produce max light output for your driving benefit at night why put a cover over them?

out here in miami theirs alot of minority individuals who niteshade their heads then get 6000k hids and it lights up even less then regular halogens.....i dont think the blue hids are ricer, none at all....but it will look ricer if u want to use some cheap fog lamp housings as yur running lights

Old 03-16-2010 | 07:17 PM
This thread is funny. I agree with pretty much everything south ms said.

Old 03-16-2010 | 07:18 PM
Truck of the Month
another thing theirs some things that are common sense, and other things become common and ridiculous if u feel like ur truck will stand out with what you plan on doing go for it, since your relatively new to the forum, i would suggest not to ask a question, get the response from a couple of us guys out here and then insist on doin wut u have planned. it makes you seem stubborn.....you should post a pic of ur ride though...welcome to the site!!!

Quick Reply: HID Question