Simple stereo upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010 | 02:25 PM
|
Simple stereo upgrade?

Can any of you super helpful people tell me what you might have done to upgrade the sound in your trucks? I'm running a 2005 FX4x4 150 super cab (not the 4 door). I'm 44 and NOT into the big subs, and kiddy stuff, but I did notice my truck has a mount for highs in the doors. So I guess you could run highs and mids with the right cross over there? What about the speakers in the little doors? Could a small, Im assuming 10" or 8" sub work there? I can not see where to drop a small sub into this truck? No room under the bench seat in back and I don't want to pull apart the center council doing some crazy fiberglass project there. Any ideas would be great. I'd love to just keep the stock radio if possible. Thanks guys!

Old 06-09-2010 | 02:46 PM
yes there is a tweeter mount on the front doors...it is normally empty unless you have the audiophile package that comes with upgraded fronts that have the tweeters and an 8" sub under the back seat.

i have that system in my fx4 and it sounds good...not amazing but good for factory. you can always go with a good set of components up front (factory size is 6x8) but dont go with anything too high end as that would require you to add an amplifier in order to provide enough power to the speakers.

the back doors also have 6x8 speakers. if you upgrade the speakers, itll help improve the midbass as well. you can fit a subwoofer under the back seat...there are boxes that are made to fit under there if you want to go that route.

Old 06-09-2010 | 09:57 PM
thought the stock speakers were 5x8.

upgrading these to an aftermarket speaker will help improve the sound. i know in my body style you can fit standard size 6x9s in the rear doors without modification. this should help with mid response.

like snowboarder said you can get tweeters for the front doors. look into powered subs or maybe some shallow mounts if you are looking for subs.

i recommend cructchfield.com as a place to start looking. they carry some good products. do a search online if you find something you like, better prices can be found.

Old 06-10-2010 | 09:21 AM
|
Thanks Snowborder and Chief! I think I will just start with speaker changes and see if that will satisfy. I find it interesting that somebody makes a sub/enclosure to work behind, or under, that bench seat because that thing is in there TIGHT! All I can do now is hide my jumper cables under it.

Old 06-22-2010 | 12:30 AM
Not sure how much more sound your looking for or your budget. The upgraded audiophile stereos have a seperate plug in the rear of them for a factory sub which mounts under the rear seat. The wiring and plugs are already in theses trucks for the factory upgrades. I just bought a used Shaker unit and factory sub and since the wiring is already in, the install takes about 15 minutes and its sounds much better.

Old 06-22-2010 | 02:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If you plan to just swap the speakers, make sure you go with some that are extremely efficient. The stock radio puts out less than 8 watts per channel and inefficient speakers are going to need far more than that for acceptable sound. The Polk dB571 is a popular choice for direct speaker replacement without added amplification.

Old 06-22-2010 | 12:08 PM
i just put these http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A68...d=7XRJVQ0EYEE8 and a $60 pioneer head unit in my mustang and there powered by the HU (50watts per channel) and it sounds amazing.

Old 06-26-2010 | 11:50 AM
you could go with one of these MTX Thunderforms, designed to fit perfectly -

http://www.mtx.com/thunderforms

here's one on eBay that ended with no buyer so he may re-list.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 07-18-2010 | 10:53 PM
i know im a little late, but try junkyards for a chevy or GMC and look to see if they have BOSE speakers...i picked a set out of an 08 GMC 2500 for only $10 a speaker! did a few cuts here and there (make sure you get the wiring out of the other truck and splice it to yours)...sound is night and day different.

Old 07-19-2010 | 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by JmG F150
i know im a little late, but try junkyards for a chevy or GMC and look to see if they have BOSE speakers...i picked a set out of an 08 GMC 2500 for only $10 a speaker!

Bose, Blows. Bose is, was,and always will be crap.

Old 07-21-2010 | 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by chiefFX4
thought the stock speakers were 5x8.

upgrading these to an aftermarket speaker will help improve the sound. i know in my body style you can fit standard size 6x9s in the rear doors without modification. this should help with mid response.

like snowboarder said you can get tweeters for the front doors. look into powered subs or maybe some shallow mounts if you are looking for subs.

i recommend cructchfield.com as a place to start looking. they carry some good products. do a search online if you find something you like, better prices can be found.
They're actually 5x7's in both the front and back doors on the '05 model supercab, and that size is available in several different brand of speakers. You really don't have to do any modifications unless you just want the bigger speakers. I think I'm gonna get a set of punch to replace the cheap crap pioneers I put in when I first got the truck. Of course they are better than the crap stock ones that came with the truck.

Last edited by mitch150; 07-21-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2010 | 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by subzero150
Can any of you super helpful people tell me what you might have done to upgrade the sound in your trucks? I'm running a 2005 FX4x4 150 super cab (not the 4 door). I'm 44 and NOT into the big subs, and kiddy stuff, but I did notice my truck has a mount for highs in the doors. So I guess you could run highs and mids with the right cross over there? What about the speakers in the little doors? Could a small, Im assuming 10" or 8" sub work there? I can not see where to drop a small sub into this truck? No room under the bench seat in back and I don't want to pull apart the center council doing some crazy fiberglass project there. Any ideas would be great. I'd love to just keep the stock radio if possible. Thanks guys!
I'm around there age wise, and was moderately satisfied with a decent head unit, and a 10" infinity powered sub, but after going full blown two amps and two 12s, I can barely listen to it anymore without feeling it's lacking serious oomph. I guess I'm into kiddy stuff :o

Originally Posted by JimmysotherFORD
Bose, Blows. Bose is, was,and always will be crap.
x2 bose = boatloads of marketing $$$ in action.

Old 07-21-2010 | 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by kp02-150
I'm around there age wise, and was moderately satisfied with a decent head unit, and a 10" infinity powered sub, but after going full blown two amps and two 12s, I can barely listen to it anymore without feeling it's lacking serious oomph. I guess I'm into kiddy stuff :o

x2 bose = boatloads of marketing $$$ in action.
Hey kp, you got the JVC HU don't you? How you liken' it? I'm just a little beyond that age wise, and I'm into the kiddy stuff too (ever since I was kid), I just can't afford it!

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by mitch150
They're actually 5x7's in both the front and back doors on the '05 model supercab
No they are 6x8's Ford has used that size since the early 80's that I know of. My 07 scab uses 6x8's and I highly doubt they would change speaker size when the rest of the truck is vitually identical.

With that being said, just about all manufacturers of aftermarket speakers use the 5x7 frame to make both sizes of speakers, they just elongate the mounting holes to fit the 6x8 pattern. That way they can use one speaker to fit two different applications.

Old 07-22-2010 | 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by mitch150
Hey kp, you got the JVC HU don't you? How you liken' it? I'm just a little beyond that age wise, and I'm into the kiddy stuff too (ever since I was kid), I just can't afford it!
got a mini review in another thread

https://www.f150online.com/forums/mu...kw-nt3hdt.html

Quick Reply: Simple stereo upgrade?