Gas Saving Devices; Ummm.....Money Talks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Saving Devices; Ummm.....Money Talks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zX2pHg-2_I&feature

Who is James Randi and how much does he have to offer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesamjLNHlU&feature

Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 AM
The only "Gas Saving Device" that I can say would work is a programmer with a tune loaded to save you gas at the cost of performance, which probably doesn't qualify. Interesting find OG

Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
^^^ Thanks.

Even the myth busters concluded that said gadgets are a scam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90szKQAjhfo&feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb7vhHKaGYw&feature

Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
There are only two things I have used that I know have without a doubt improved fuel mileage in any of the vehicles I have driven:

1. A manifold vacuum gauge. The more this is kept in the higher manifold vacuum readings, especially during acceleration, the better the fuel mileage. This has worked from the days of the flathead V8 to today, regardless of engine size or caburated versus fuel injected.

2. Pressing on the accelerator pedal as if your ********* are between the accerator pedal and the bottom of your shoe. Aggressive driving will kill your fuel mileage.

Other things I personally do that are inconclusive as to whether of not they help (I believe they do) are:

- Complete inspection of the brake system every year, along with repacking the front wheel bearings annually. I always make sure that the brakes are not dragging, plus it lets me know if the brakes will need serviced soon.

- Less restrictive intake and exhaust. If done correctly, I have seen personally an improvement in fuel mileage with both of these improvements, because you are decreasing the energy used in pumping air in and out of the engine.

- Maintenence. I cringe if I go over 36,000 miles on a set of spark plugs . I also am known to use the severe use maintenance schedule, especially here in Phoenix, due to the climate. I will even use a quicker interval than the severe use maintenence schedule on filters, MAF/IAC cleaning, and transmission flushes. Not only do I get better fuel mileage, I get longer vehicle mileage before major repairs.

I could go on and on about more (decreased rolling resistance, aerodynamics, engine cruise RPM, etc.), but I think I have covered the lesser controversial topics.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Supporting evidence strengthen our beliefs, while negative evidence seldom weakens them, just like a ratchet in tightening a nut. In science, of course, the bottom line is the actual evidence, not all the argument for and against just presented. "Extraordinary Claims require extraordinary evidence."

In the absence of critical thinking, there's no limit to people's gullibility, most even flaunt their unwillingness to think. Logic and scientific evidence are often not enough to dislodge personal beliefs an prejudices, particularly if these beliefs offer "great comfort". Many, not only lie for money, power, attention and fame, but our "evolved" brain is subject to all sorts of delusions, hallucinations and fake memories. LOL, prior to the invention of airplanes and movies of space aliens, there was not a single reported case of flying saucers. Instead people were being abducted by fairies and carried off to castles in the sky where they were probed.

All in all, the inability to make informed choices makes the very idea of freedom of choice, "meaningless".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZyvg75iP3U&feature

Last edited by OGTerror; 08-22-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Does an E-fan, E-water pump and manual steering rack count? Maybe take the bed off the truck, spare tire, and the passenger seat out

Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 PM
most gas savers aren't worth the money for one reason, the cost vs recoupe time is so long youll need to wait 5 yrs to be ahead which you might not even have the vehicle any more

Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OGTerror
Love this!!
So true though!
That's what I have always said!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by OGTerror
WTF is a hybride?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
WTF is a hybride?
same thing I was wondering

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
The only true gas saver is horse power - not the kind you find under your hood, the kind you feed oats.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
same thing I was wondering
X2

when did they remove the e!

Well, looks like I'll have to brows instead browse for the correct spelling next time.

Last edited by OGTerror; 07-31-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Devices; Ummm.....Money Talks?