Just ordered my HID 8ks

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 04:16 PM
|
You can get a set of JLM HID's for about 10 bucks more than what you'd pay for SilverStar's and they are easily twice as bright. If they are illegal then get a lower Kelvin bulb say 4 or 5k. I mean are cops really gonna ask you to pop the hood so they can check your bulbs????

Old 07-30-2010 | 07:49 PM
Hey bud, since when do you have to pop your hood to see what bulbs you're using? You could clearly see from outside since the HID bulbs are shaped differently, unless the cops would be smart enough to be able to spot the ballasts, but I don't think so. Besides, to pop the hood to see the headlights on our trucks, we would have to pull out the whole light assembly to pull them out.

Old 07-30-2010 | 08:06 PM
HID bulbs are illegal in (I think) in every state in the union except for off road use only when mounted in reflector type housings regardless of kelvin output. They are illegal for the glare they produce. You have to aim them down low or risk being stopped. Hid bulbs are designed to be used in a projector type housing only and then can be retrofitted into your housings. I know, I've done it myself and ran them myself...just have to consider yourself lucky if you don't get stopped for them

Old 07-30-2010 | 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
More than likely he is referring you to the PIAA "Super White" bulbs. DO NOT GET THEM. They are nothing more than super high wattage (85-100W) bulbs that just drain more electricity. They are whiter yes, only because of the blue lens tint which filters out the yellow light waves emitted by the halogen bulb.

You are better off buying Silverstar Ultras than wasting your money on those, IMO.
PIAA bulbs suck big time!!! I wasted over $100 on those (a pair for headlights and a pair for fogs)... one of the bulbs in my fogs blew out after a week. Just bought the JLM 6K HID kit for my headlights and fogs last night. After looking at your pics, I can't wait to put them in.

Old 07-30-2010 | 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
More than likely he is referring you to the PIAA "Super White" bulbs. DO NOT GET THEM. They are nothing more than super high wattage (85-100W) bulbs that just drain more electricity. They are whiter yes, only because of the blue lens tint which filters out the yellow light waves emitted by the halogen bulb.

You are better off buying Silverstar Ultras than wasting your money on those, IMO.
Also these high wattage bulbs WILL melt your wiring harness unless you use a dedicated higher gauge harness. (Speaking of the PIAA bulbs)

Quick Reply: Just ordered my HID 8ks