Dashboard light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010 | 11:12 AM
|
Dashboard light replacement

I just installed Cobalt Autometer guages and love the blue LED lights but then i look at the boring green dash lights and wonder if they make replacement blue LED replacement bulbs to match my gauges?? Does anyone know if there is and if there is how hard is it to change the bulbs? Thanks Kevin...

Old 09-20-2010 | 11:30 PM
my roommate changed the bulbs in his camaro and his girlfriends accord in less than 10 minutes. all you have to do is take out the speedometer and twist out the bulbs in the back and replace them.

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:24 PM
I think I am correct in saying in these trucks (04-08 anyway) the cluster must be removed, the needles removed, and the circuit board must be removed to get to the bulbs.

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:32 PM
Just did mine over the weekend and being an 07 (04-08 group) I removed 2 screws under the steering wheel to remove the "shin area" panel. remove the filler panel just behind the "Hazzard light switch" then 2 more screws to detach the cover that is around the steering wheel , up the side of the gauges and over the dash. you are now at the gauges. remove the 4 screws holding the gauges in place, unplug the top 2 wire clusters and the gauge can be rotated to the back so you can unscrew the plastic cover that is covering the bulb sockets.

I called the dealer tonight and the parts guy said the socket with bulb is about $25.00 then stated the bulb is $2.00 each with out the socket.

the bulb is a wedge style about 3/8" long and a little over 1/8" wide ( smaller than a pencil wide and less length than the mettle that holds the eraser on the end. )

NAPA ... smaller than a #74 ,possible the #37 bulb but I'm not sure yet.

FYI: I blew the back light of the odometer and took the "high beam" bulb and moved it to the odometer.

Old 09-22-2010 | 09:37 PM
I think these are the ones that the OP is looking for: www.v-leds.com/24-74-NEO-LED/c122292-1-2/ If you want to change the color of the Instrument Panel from the Green you will have to remove the needles and the overlay then sand down the overlay around the numbers/letters. The Green color comes from the backing of the overlay. There is a couple of write-ups on this in the 'How To' section

Last edited by sam1947; 09-23-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Mikel_NY
Just did mine over the weekend and being an 07 (04-08 group) I removed 2 screws under the steering wheel to remove the "shin area" panel. remove the filler panel just behind the "Hazzard light switch" then 2 more screws to detach the cover that is around the steering wheel , up the side of the gauges and over the dash. you are now at the gauges. remove the 4 screws holding the gauges in place, unplug the top 2 wire clusters and the gauge can be rotated to the back so you can unscrew the plastic cover that is covering the bulb sockets.

I called the dealer tonight and the parts guy said the socket with bulb is about $25.00 then stated the bulb is $2.00 each with out the socket.

the bulb is a wedge style about 3/8" long and a little over 1/8" wide ( smaller than a pencil wide and less length than the mettle that holds the eraser on the end. )

NAPA ... smaller than a #74 ,possible the #37 bulb but I'm not sure yet.

FYI: I blew the back light of the odometer and took the "high beam" bulb and moved it to the odometer.
The OP wants to change the color from green...that's why I said that you have to remove the needles and the overlay.

Old 09-23-2010 | 02:19 PM
|
Thanks Guys!!!

Quick Reply: Dashboard light replacement