e-fan install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010 | 10:54 PM
|
e-fan install help

i just wired up my fans and have it wired to switches as well. well it has three wires comming out of it and i guess i forgot to run the low speed. what size relay should i use? also for my high speed (and god it sounds like a air plane) i have a 30 amp relay on it when on everything is fine but when turned off the wire comming into my switch from 12v heats up like right now and starts smoking ! is the relay too big? not holding enough power back when its off?

please help

Old 10-09-2010 | 11:02 PM
Global Moderator &
no such thing as too big of a relay. I would personally recommend 40amp for each fan, or at least a 30amp per fan

sounds like you may have wired up something wrong tho with the switch. Is it one with a light on it? does it work?

Old 10-09-2010 | 11:09 PM
|
yes it has a led light on it and when i put the 12v to the switch with it turned on the light comes on and so does the fan.

lol do i just have to swap the power wires around??!!!

Old 10-10-2010 | 10:37 AM
Global Moderator &
possibly... there should be a diagram for the switch that tells you what goes where, and a 1 2 3 on the back of the switch labeling the pins

Old 10-10-2010 | 05:31 PM
|
FINALLY got them working and going good. no overheating!

thanks patman for making me think stight.

i figured the efans would cool better than my stock one but it is darn near the same. its within the same range....... what did everyone gain by doing the swap ACTUALLY? not hear say but what did you notice when you put them on? i dont feel any difference. some said better throttle response. none. better miliage. maybe .5 and nothing as far as power????

i guess i expected more for the money i paid. i noticed more from my throttle body spacer than this, and everyone says that it crap!

please set me stright!

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by pappastangle06

i figured the efans would cool better than my stock one but it is darn near the same. its within the same range.......
E-fans won't cool any better than stock...the thermostat takes care of that. as far as the other benefits go..they will be felt over time..I have the feeling you was expecting a night and day difference in performance..won't happen! You will get a little better throttle response and somewhat better mileage over time. There are very few things that will pay for itself as far as mods are concerned, the biggest gain overall is custom tuning. All that being said, nothing that you can do will pay off big in the end other than a better running and more responsive truck overall.

Old 10-11-2010 | 08:56 AM
|
Wasn't looking for something big I know that but something! Thanks for setting me straight!

Old 10-11-2010 | 11:25 AM
Global Moderator &
i got a solid 1mpg gain from my truck

was your mechanical fan steel or plastic? 97s should have the very heavy steel fan, im surprised you didnt feel any power gain

Quick Reply: e-fan install help