Cool Lights in the floorboard!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001 | 08:03 PM
|
Cool Lights in the floorboard!!

I can't take all the credit for this one because my buddy did it first. Now the good part...

I bought 2 side marker recepticals and wired them under the dash on both sides. I then connected the wiring to the ashtray-light, wire harness. Then I installed blue lights in the recepticals. Now when I am crusin at night I have this really cool Blue glow at the floor board. It works with the dash dimmer too! It is very easy to do and it takes about 1 Hour.

My wife thinks it looks cool too!

Old 08-16-2001 | 12:17 AM
Can you post some pics? Thanks.

Robert

Old 08-20-2001 | 06:14 PM
i used 12 inch neon under my dash! hows it look? also wired it to ashtray light it worked great!!:-)

Old 08-20-2001 | 07:51 PM
Looks sweet!

Do you have more details... like:

Where (exactly) you mounted them, where you got them, how you wired them, etc.?

After seeing your picture... you got me thinking....

Old 08-20-2001 | 09:31 PM
ok!! gauge kit is by "nuimage" and there is 2 12' inch neon under the dashboard! got them wired to the ashtray light so they only go on with headlight!:-) I got the neon at autozone! and the gauge kitt from www.godfathercustom.com! If u find the neon ill explain in more detail how it was mounted!!:-)

Old 09-12-2001 | 10:25 AM
ddaytona, can you explain more how it was mounted under the dash??? Looks awesome.
How much of your dash did ou take off to get to the ashtray light?
Let me know.

Old 09-12-2001 | 04:35 PM
|
If you put lights that are too bright they may impair your night driving vision. Of course with them connected to the dash dimmer you can turn them down but you also tunr down the dash lights.
I used regular side marker lights and it works great. Not too bright not too dim!

Here's the process:
1) remove the ash tray.
2) remove the drink holder by depressing the 2 tabs between the drink holder and the dash while pulling gently.
3) disconnect the wire harness light fixture from the drink holder assembly. The light fixture for the ash tray is twist lock.
4) Route the wires from the hole in the dash to each side of the floorboard (you will need 2 wires to each light) The wires should be routed being careful not to install them near any moving parts that may cut or break the connections (i.e. Gas Pedal, Brake Pedal, ect...)
5) mounting the lights. You can use any 12 volt light but I wouldn't recomend any that draw more than a couple of amps. I used regular side marker recepticals and tie wraped the wires so they hang just out of site under the dash. Make sure they do not rest against anything as they do get hot. Splice wires using crimp style connections. This is easier if you connect the routed wires to the light fixtures before you tie wrap things up so you can work any slack back to the hole in the dash area. Do this on both sides. Once again BE CAREFUL HOW YOU ROUTE THE WIRES!
6) Making the final connection. You will probably need to remove some of the factory friction tape from around the 2 wires feeding the ash tray light. Cut the wires feeding the ash tray light about 5 to 6 inches back from the fixture. Splice wires using crimp style connections. Make sure you have enough slack for the drink holder ash tray assembly to move in and out after reinstalling.
7) If you are not sure or do not know how to do electrical connections in vehicles get sombody that does know how to do it for you.
8) Reinstall the drink holder assembly and the ahs tray and you are done.

2 REMINDERS!

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO ELECTRICAL, GET HELP FROM SOMEONE THAT DOES!!!!!

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO ELECTRICAL, GET HELP FROM SOMEONE THAT DOES!!!!!

Old 09-12-2001 | 09:07 PM
Awsome post guys,
I'm going to do mine tomorow morning...
Just wondering wether to go with blue or red?
My truck is black....
I think I'll go blue.

Morley

Old 09-14-2001 | 07:57 AM
iamhakiem,

Which side marker lights did you use? Where did you get them? Are they as bright as ddaytonas neons? I am interested in doing similar modification and I am just curious as to what you used. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2001 | 04:34 PM
|
I went to advance auto and found 2 rubber side marker recepticals that will accomodate the small lights similar to what you would find on the older ford rangers. I didn't really mount them or anything. I just let them hang by the wire that I tywraped under the dash. E-mail me and I will give you my phone # And I would be happy to explain it in more detail.

iamhakiem@excite.com

Old 09-17-2001 | 04:52 PM
I installed mine,
green side marker lenses, and they looks pretty forking kewl.
but not as bright as I thought they would be...
I wanted to know where you guys mounted the light(s) on the
passenger side.. I tie wrapped mine to a wire harness near the kick panel... thats all there was... I didnt want to drill any holes in the plastic, as I want sure if that was a heater box or what...

pls let me know,
THanks dudes

Peace!

Mor

Old 09-17-2001 | 05:00 PM
|
Tweaker,

Use The Halogen side marker lights or you could go with a larger light like a front parking lamp with both hot wires connected.
Be carful where you put them though, because they do get hot.

Hakiem

Old 09-18-2001 | 07:41 AM
|
Tweaker,

I hung mine from a metal bar under the passenger side.
The light is not centered but it still gives the forking kewl glow.

Old 09-18-2001 | 08:49 AM
Right on bro,

I'll check it out... I dont recall seeing a metal bar, but I'll have a another look tonight.
Thanks

Peace!

Mor

Old 09-26-2001 | 03:49 PM
Can't find that Bar..
I have a 2000 F150..... maybe thats the difference?

Quick Reply: Cool Lights in the floorboard!!